What do you think our kitty’s breed is?

Kellogg5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! This is Midge. She was a stray that showed up at our home recently and we took her in because she is just the sweetest little girl and has us all wrapped around her paw! I know she would be considered a domestic shorthair but there are some things that are a little different about her. She has what we call a raccoon tail. Her tail is super bushy and big compared to the rest of her. She has ear tufts, and her belly hair is a lot more silky, thick, and long compared to her short coat on her head & back. Some of these pictures are from when she first showed up outside and was starving. She is now well fed and loved. We have taken her to the vet and is in her forever home with us💜

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellogg5

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My mother also recently rescued a kitty from her car! She was under the hood of her Chevy Malibu therefore my little sister named her Malibu! Lol I promised my sister I would ask online what you all thought her breed was as well.

Attachments

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! They are cuties!! I would say Midge is a DSH brown mackerel tabby. Striping on the tail is not uncommon. The only part I am not sure of is the coloring, as it seems a bit different in some of the pictures.

It is a little harder to tell with Malibu, as I can't see the markings on her body, but think you could also consider her the same as Midge.

Hopefully one of our 'experts' will come along and correct me if I have gotten anything wrong!!

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner is spot-on! I was going to say brown mackerel tabby Domestic Shorthair for adorable Midge as well. Malibu is very pretty, but it is kind of hard to see her markings from those pictures (from the lighting, position, etc.), so if you have more pictures of her, that would be helpful to confirm. Judging by the last picture, I would say that she is a brown ticked tabby Domestic Shorthair.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
Midge is gorgeous and kind of wild looking in that seventh photo. She could be mixed with so many things- the best shot would be sending in a blood sample to check her DNA.

I too am having a hard time seeing Malibu.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think Malibu is the ticked tabby? Sometimes also called agouti. Tabby coloring but without stripes. Not as common and ticking is also found in breeds such as the Abyssinian but can be found in the domestic cat population as well.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well Malibu I suppose is partly a ticked tabby not full, it looks like her main body is ticked. But as others said, hard fo see. I would still guess her as a domestic short hair.

Animal Freak

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Midge is a brown mackerel tabby and Malibu is a brown ticked tabby. Both are domestic short hairs. I don't see any breed influences in either of them. Most cats don't have any breeds in them, unlike dogs who have been bred much longer. DNA tests are fun, but highly inaccurate.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lovely girls!

From these pictures, I would describe Midge as a brown patched mackerel tabby (also known as brown mackerel torbie) domestic shorthair. We can see that she is a patched tabby / torbie, because she definitely has some red tabby patches and a cream toe.

It's a bit harder to see Malibu, but I agree with the other posters that she appears to be a brown ticked tabby domestic shorthair. If you happen to take more pictures, I'm sure everyone would like to get a better look at her.