What Do You Think Of This Breeder?

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Is this person legit?
Emmers Scottish Fold
I've been looking into Scottish Folds. I don't know much about cat breeders, but I found this person. Also was wondering since the folded ears results from a cartilage mutation and could cause other health problems, do the cats with straight ears still have the same health risks as the folded ears?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Straight eared cats do not have the folded ear mutation, so they do not have the health risks related to that mutation.

Everything on the cattery web site looks reasonable. Have you contacted the breeder? Is there anything particular you are concerned about?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Straight eared cats do not have the folded ear mutation, so they do not have the health risks related to that mutation.

Everything on the cattery web site looks reasonable. Have you contacted the breeder? Is there anything particular you are concerned about?
No, there doesn't seem to be anything concerning. That's why I wanted to check with someone else in case there was something obvious that I was missing.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I think that breeder looks good! Their cats certainly do well in shows, which means that they put a lot of time and thought into each mating.

The folded ears are caused by a cartilage mutation, which can cause Osteochondrodysplasia, however, this isn’t a concern in straight-eared Scottish Folds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anybody know what its like having a scottish fold? Or know where I can get more information. I already sent a message to the breeder.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Does anybody know what its like having a scottish fold? Or know where I can get more information. I already sent a message to the breeder.
This article has some helpful info about Scottish Folds: Scottish Fold Cats

They are, in general, relaxed and affectionate cats.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
scottish fold kittens are very healthy as long as they were bred properly. they are very sweet and active cats, you can find a lot of them on youtube

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have read about scottish folds and i just can't support it. They might be calm because they're in pain. Remember there isn't any solid evidence against declawing but that doesn't make it okay. And from what i remember breeders have declined to let their cats get subject to x-rays as proof.

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we had 2 scottish fold cats when we live in asia, they are actually very active cats the male lived until 17 years old

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you had a good experience with your Scottish Folds. They are very beautiful cats! I have done some reading about this breed.

The website for Emmers Scottish Folds looks normal and fairly up to date. I have seen cattery websites with more information, but you have what you need there. I understand wanting to repeat the great experience you had with them in Asia, and I hope if you get one you have a great experience again!

They originated in Scotland (of course!) and I have read that The British Veterinary Association wants the breeding of Scottish Folds to stop and, in 2017, the Scottish government was discussing a ban. This is because of the possible health risks you mentioned in your posts. The cats without folds would not have the same risks for ear problems, but there are other genetic difficulties that could show up in this breed, such as a type of arthritis.

The Governing Council of the Cat Fancy, UK's pedigree cat registry, has not registered them since the early '70's.

Last edited:

cindy321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I assume the same gene cause the folded ears in cats as well as dog and rabbit? it is quite common see dogs with floppy ears, also rabbits.

scottish fold is very popular in asia, esp japan, you could find many of them on youtube, sometimes I do enjoy watch those videos and I found them very cute ,esp the round face and sweet personality