What do you feed your cats on?

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like the porcelain appetizer dishes from CB2, which are a dollar or so a piece... They're flat, square, good lookin', cheap, and the perfect size for an ounce of ground raw!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were at Bed, Bath and Beyond today, which is where I got the idea for the creme brulee dishes. I saw a number of small, flat dishes. But I didn't like that they were so flat. I'm feeding 8 cats, carring multiple dishes at a time, and dont want the meat juice to slosh off. (I pour the stuff that collects in the bag when meat dethaws into their dishes).

I really wanted glass. I just haven't found anything that works. Yet. :)

Oh - and one of the reviews for these dishes was how they make great dishes for cats. :lol3:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the saucers from my set of china .   Then I set those on their place mats and STILL occasionally one of them will actually drag a piece of meat out of the bowl and off the place mat onto the floor
.  Good thing we have tile floors!
This is what I use also. But I got mine from a second hand store just for them
. Also use mats bought a the dollar store. I recently found what I believe are appetizer plates from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They sound like the ones Pinkman found. 4in square white porcelain with a little bit of a lip. They too where about a buck each. But I like those brulee dishes!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, my problem is that I really want to use glass. But I'll settle for porcelain. And I can't use anything larger than 5", because we don't have the space. And the stuff has to "nest", or I don't have a way to store it. So a lot of restrictions. :lol3: We'll see.....

Last edited:

pinkman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is what I use also. But I got mine from a second hand store just for them
. Also use mats bought a the dollar store. I recently found what I believe are appetizer plates from Bed, Bath and Beyond. They sound like the ones Pinkman found. 4in square white porcelain with a little bit of a lip. They too where about a buck each. But I like those brulee dishes!
Yep sounds exactly like the ones I was talking about.

Those brulee dishes look pretty good... I've been using silicon placemats for babies for the cats. Speaking of which I need to buy another one once Bagel gets older...

cat dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use ceramic square plates that were supposed to be for a pillar candle to sit on. They are mostly flat but slope towards the center for the wax to puddle - perfect to keep juices from escaping.

Last edited:

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah, my problem is that I really want to use glass. But I'll settle for porcelain. And I can't use anything larger than 5", because we don't have the space. And the stuff has to "nest", or I don't have a way to store it. So a lot of restrictions. :lol3: We'll see.....
How about glass Petri dishes? Most are around 4" in diameter. I used to use them when I had pet rats.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's a good idea too. :nod: But I bought some 4" crystal coasters on ebay for a few dollars, and they were just a little too small, and the lip not quite big enough.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ooooooo, there's a search term I hadn't stumbled on! :clap:

I'll see what these creme brulee dishes look like since they're already ordered. I may return them and try those. The compote dishes look basically like the corning dishes I use now - just a little larger, which I want. Ideally, I want something a little larger on the bottom than these dishes, but with lower sides. The issue is containing liquid, but providing enough space for bone-in meals. I don't have anyone that drags the food around, and I use placemats for those meals. But with these corning dishes, they still pull their whiskers back, and I'm searching to find something with which they don't need to do that.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ooooooo, there's a search term I hadn't stumbled on!

I'll see what these creme brulee dishes look like since they're already ordered. I may return them and try those. The compote dishes look basically like the corning dishes I use now - just a little larger, which I want. Ideally, I want something a little larger on the bottom than these dishes, but with lower sides. The issue is containing liquid, but providing enough space for bone-in meals. I don't have anyone that drags the food around, and I use placemats for those meals. But with these corning dishes, they still pull their whiskers back, and I'm searching to find something with which they don't need to do that.
If you have a Walmart near you look there. The one near me has compote dishes just like ones jcat mentioned.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
They're perfect for cats - low enough that their whiskers aren't disturbed, but with enough of an edge to keep liquids from being slopped all over. They generally hold up pretty well, too.

paws4life

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love love love the colourful dishes I used something similar when Nala was a kitten...

My current set up feeds 4 cats twice a day. I feed bagged food as my one male needs Urinary food so they all get it. It consists of four small glass bowls that hold 1/2  a cup and a large clear water bowl...I like it for ease a set of 4 small bowls is $1.00 and the big glass bowl is from my dishes set we have a setting for 12 and only 2 people so we had bowls to spare :)

Sorry picture was taken after feeding.

Last edited:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We were at Walmart just the other day. The one we went to doesn't carry compote plates - or anything else appropriate. I already tried the square side dish Corelle plates.

BUT... the 4oz creme brulee dishes arrived. They are almost perfect for me. I'd prefer it if they were glass, not porcelain. They're a little heavy, but I guess bone china isn't an option. :lol3: And these are round, not oval. I'd love them even more if they were oval. But these are - so far - the best option I've found given my needs and preferences. :nod:

They're not much larger than the little Corelle bowls I've been using. But the bottom is much larger, the sides lower and much shorter. I'll take pics later. I have to get used to how the portion sizes look in these dishes - they look much smaller. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are the creme brulee dishes compared to the little Corelle fruit dishes:

I wasn't thinking about it when I took the pic, but Lazlo's dish on the left has 1.5 ounces in it, and Flowerbelle's, on the right, has 1 ounce in it:

Overall, they're about the same size. The difference is in the shape. The creme brulee dishes are shallower with a bigger bottom:

Most importantly, Billy, who is one of the cats that gets his meal in one chunk, no longer pulls the piece out of the dish to eat it. :)

lianaspoken

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Each one of my babies has their own distinct dish ... just random cute dishes that picked up from antique stores or what have you.

One of my cat eats to fast so she has a deeper bowl that takes her longer to work at so she doesn't throw up afterwards. I will have to take pictures when I get Home!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey just wanted to mention, if anyone is looking for stainless steel pet bowls that are made in the US, I recently found some after looking for months and not finding any, most I found either were made in China or just did not say at all where they were made...  The company that makes the stainless steels ones is called Basis Pet. I ended up ordering their dog bowls because they didn't yet offer cat sizes, but it seems like they have a shallower cat version now so I might need to buy another one.

I also use some pyrex bowls (made for "people" use). I like steel and pyrex because I find they are the easiest to clean and don't trap bacteria like plastic tends to. I have used ceramic dishes too but I tend to end up breaking those eventually. I also sometimes use the saucers from our dish set. For my dogs I usually used disposable plates for their raw food but I know it's not "eco friendly". Except when I was giving them bones, they I'd just go outside and hand the bone to them, so they could eat where they wanted and not make a mess inside. Can't do that with cats though. ;)

Last edited:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
For my outside (feral-born) cats I'm trying something I've never heard of - using clay pottery saucers to feed them the dry food in. I'm still not sure about feeding them their canned or raw food in them, yet.

I did some research - and it seems UNGLAZED is safe.  Glaze may contain lead.  Also, clay from Mexico or China may contain lead.    Pottery from  ITALY is okay.

I guess people bake/cook in unglazed pottery. Once article talked about baking pizza on the clay dish ware.

The reasons I thought I'd give it a try is mostly two-fold.  

1)  We get strong winds here and unless I use something heavy the dishes blow down the patio, or even turn over and dump the food.  

2)  The other is the lip on the saucer (the part that sits under the flower pot to hold excess water) is just the right height.  The cats don't seem to appreciate the higher rimmed bowls for some reason, and these saucers seem to fit the cats' preferences.

So, if anyone comes up with some negative information, I'd appreciate hearing about it.