What Do You Feed Your Cat?

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want to here what diet you all have your kitties on! Main diet, feed routines, favourite brands, supplements, toppers, treats, the lot. If you give supplements, be sure to put why you feed them. I want this thread to help others who need some inspiration. Would also love to here recipes for any food items you make at home!

NOTE: please no judgement, if someone feeds something you don't agree with please just keep scrolling unless the food is definitely toxic to cats (e.g. garlic).

I'll go first:

Feed Routine:
Breakfast @ 7am - 1/4 cup of kibble each
Lunch @ 5pm - 1/2 tin of canned food each
Dinner @ 9pm - remaining 1/2 tin of canned food each

I feed a variety of wet food brands and Science Diet Indoor Cat kibble. My main brands are:
Science Diet Adult Cat (chicken chunks in gravy)
Fancy Feast (original pate, chicken, beef or turkey, no fish flavours)
Weruva (Cats in the Kitchen variety)
Tiki Cat (chicken with egg shreds)
Wellness Complete (chunks in gravy and loaf versions, turkey dinner, beef and chicken dinner, chicken dinner)

Supplements/Treats:
Goats milk - once or twice a week as a probiotic
Bone Broth - once or twice a week for extra nutrients and fluids
Quail Frames - every two weeks for dental health
Greenies Dental treats - as bribery
Egg yolk - once a week for hairballs and stool consistency
Occasional strips of raw meat/giblets from whatever I am cooking that day

Tips and tricks - I add a tablespoon of water to each wet food meal they get a day for extra hydration, makes them feel fuller for longer too :)

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Purrfect thread idea! Hopefully it can help me learn to back off on judgmental behavior in this section.

Do you buy 3-ounce of 5.5 ounce cans? Which flavors do your cats eat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

StanAndAlf

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! :)

I buy 3 ounce cans usually. I try to give variance in flavours, chicken being the main one and then turkey, duck, beef and lamb. And the raw meat varies as well, Stan loves kangaroo. They get fish flavour (never tuna, usually salmon) once a week or so as well.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have 1/2 cup of Tiki Cat turkey dry food out 24/7.

I feed exclusively Weruva wet food 3X a day. They each get a whole 3oz can or split a 5oz can.

Feed mostly chicken plus another protein but sometimes they will get just salmon flavor. I feed them one can of chicken + pumpkin once a week because I heard pumpkin is good for digestive health.

Treats only after they get nails clipped maybe every 3-4 weeks. No toppers or supplements.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What pumpkin does is control bowel movements. It is recommended for treating both constipation and diarrhea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine (3) have Purina Pro Plan weight control out at all times, (we like to once in a while leave overnight, never take longer than that and need food available to them), and they split one 3oz can of Fancy Feast Gravy lovers chicken twice a day. they have diced deli chicken as treats a couple of times a day, a tiny amount, except for my little 'chicken monster' who has it a lot more. they all take LifeGold, a cancer supplement, and DMG, an immune system builder, in the mornings, mixed in a shared packet of lickable treats. They have Leukemia.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed balanced raw food in chunks — i.e PMR :) I have two cats, a still-maturing 2 year old, Jum (ideal weight ~6.5kg), and a fully grown 4 year old, Chips (ideal weight ~8.5kg).

Feeding schedule:
Breakfast, 9:30, 100 grams each
Lunch (if I’m home), ~14:00, 30 grams each, or a whole chicken neck/half a turkey gizzard
Dinner, 19:30, 100 grams for Chips, 75 for Jum
Supper, 23:30, same as above.

Supplementation:
2x raw quail eggs each a week (as per their nutritionist, may discuss increasing to 4) — hairball control, healthy fats, vitamins, and, to a point, kidney preservation (according to an early stage study done in mice).
2mL NN fish oil for cats and small dogs each once a week — omega supplementation, for their furs, claws, etc.
Up to 50 grams each of cat-safe dairy product a week, for healthy fats and probiotics. This is generally raw goats milk kefir, or some kind of quark; generally cows milk, but they’ll sometimes get goats milk quark, as well.

Day Old Chicks — occasional whole prey supplementation. Not nutritionally complete despite being nutritionally dense and nice enrichment, but I’m considering trying mice with them.

Other:

Bonito Flakes — the highest of stinky bribery, generally used as a topper
Dehydrated lung (beef, pork, venison), chicken/Turkey jerky (unsalted), other similar one ingredient things — training treats
Vital Essentials freeze dried rabbit bites/treats — training treats
Water/myoglobin/unsalted broth/raw whey— tablespoon in 1-2 meals a day to increase hydration.

Gem90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Toebean gets:

Breakfast at 8am: a can/pouch of wet
Lunch at 12pm: 10g kibble
Tea at 4pm: 10g kibble
Supper at 8pm: a can/pouch of wet

The kibble is MORE Cat Chicken which was supplied by his vet. I may switch to another brand but he seems to really like it, and I'm happy with the ingredient list, tbh. It's not far off what I'd choose for him myself. They do a hairball control version as well which is handy because he's very fluffy.

The wet food cycles between Purina Gourmet Perle in Gravies, Purina Gourmet Nature's Creations (his favourite by far), Lily's Kitchen Tasty Cuts, Canagan (tins of various flavours) and sometimes Felix As Good As It Looks, because it's cheap and he enjoys it. He ate Natures Menu pouches when we first got him, but went off them after a while — they're pate, and he seems to prefer texture.

He's showing slight signs of an allergy, so if my stepped-up dusting and hoovering hasn't helped by October, we might have to try him with some new proteins.

Treat-wise, we give him Feasties.

Kind of in awe of the feeding regimen some of you folks have. :D

Gem90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is so amazing about how Americans feed their cats?
Whether the previous posters are American is neither here nor there; people feed their cats well all over the world. It's just a fascinating topic.

Growing up, the family cat ate store brand kibble. There was absolutely no question of sourcing supplements like bonito flakes, egg yolks and pumpkin! We've come so far. 😂

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats eat at 7:00 in the morning, 1:30 in the afternoon, and 8:00 in the evening. Our boy gets 3 ounces of wet food morning and evening, at lunch he gets 2.5 ounces of wet food and one tablespoon of dry food. The girls each get 1.5 ounces of wet food at every meal and around 2 tablespoons of dry food at each meal or as much as they want. Bowls are washed and put away after meals, there is no free feeding. They each get two Greenies treats a day after tooth brushing.

Wet food is Friskies, Fancy Feast, Tiny Tiger, Purina One, Merrick and my occasional batch of homemade cooked chicken meat supplemented with chicken liver and Alnutrin. Dry is Purina One Indoor Advantage. They might get a little tuna and juice if I’m using a can, and bone broth in the winter when I make soups and stews.

Our boy gets lysine powder in his food morning and night and prednisolone every other night in a Pill Pocket.

eternalgaze

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only had my adopted cat 6 months. I feed Gayla like this:
6AM - 1/4 can of wet food: Weruva pate or Tastefuls pate (5.5 oz can) with probiora (probiotic) for her mouth, and some pumpkin mixed in it. Sometimes I get Whole Earth or Wellness pate wet food. She loves beef flavors best.
4PM - 1/4 can of same.
7PM - snack time: a little bit of tuna, or diluted baby food (chicken or turkey). I don't know how we got started on including this all the time, but now she expects it!
9PM - 1/4 cup of Purina Beyond scattered on a baking pan (she tends to eat too fast at times, leading to vomitting. This has worked very well so far).
She also gets 1-2 squeeze ups during the day as a reward for play. She's come a long way with play--from being frightened of every cat toy imaginable to now swatting the ones on a stick from the dollar store (I invested in TONS of toys and the only one she likes is from the dollar store--go figure!)

I recently got one of those plastic ball toys that you put food in and have to roll to get it to come out, but Gayla is still afraid of it after a few introductions...

Frank123

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Breakfast @ 5AM. My two cats will either get one 3oz can each of Fancy Feast or one 5oz can of Friskies split between the two of them. Usually pate and from a variety pack. That's the only canned food they'll eat.
I'll usually leave a small amount of dry food, Instinct Original, for them to nibble on should they get hungry during the day.
At night when I get home just before 7PM they'll get wet food again.
A few times a week they'll get their favorite treats which is a puree such as this

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Oreo Acana first feast kitten and 3oz can kitten/cat chicken, turkey , salmon , Oreo is 5 1/2 months

Twylasmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Twyla is on a 200 calorie a day diet for weight loss and vet recommended that wet food is 6 carbs or less per can. So she gets one Sheba pate in the morning, half a can of FF pate around five pm and another half can at 9:30. She gets 2 tablespoons of Purina One Indoor Advantage that I use as treats, a topper or just to hold her off until mealtime. The fish pates have the lowest carbs so I rotate them with chicken, beef and liver& chicken flavors. Also gets a little pumpkin once a day.

Hooper gets the FF twice a day, and about 2/3 cup of Indoor Advantage dry given for breakfast and for nibbling. He won’t eat Sheba and is picky about wet food overall.

I always add 1 T of warm water to their wet food.