What do you do with cat hair?

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Here's last year's 'stash' from their much-loved grooming sessions.
I stuff it all in a jar and then donate it to the birds/compost/worm farm. I'm a little late this year...

How about you? Am I just the crazy cat hair lady?

cat hair.jpg

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Mani, I smell a fashion line coming…me, I take single hairs and write love poems to Zorro on them. (Not really).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
OK, so I really am feeling like the crazy cat hair lady. :lol:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
You know you can felt that stuff and make tiny replicas of your cats from it?

1674812958407.png

I stuff mine through the netting of my enclosure fence in the spring and loads of wild birds come down and gather it for their nests. Think of all those little chicks, growing up in nests lined with lovely soft fur.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Staff Member
Purraise
I bet you could spin it if you found a suitable fibre to mix with it.
To be honest, that was sort of the original plan.. that or 'felt' with it to make little miniature cats. But I never got around to it so it just became a 'how much cat hair in a year' thing. :biggrin:

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
To be honest, that was sort of the original plan.. that or 'felt' with it to make little miniature cats. But I never got around to it so it just became a 'how much cat hair in a year' thing. :biggrin:
Can you imagine the market there’d be for genuine catmere?

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cat fur ? Its inevitable around here....😉 I take a handful and run it under water. Then I roll it around in my palms until it is a tight ball..about the size of a malted milk ball. Its one of our cats' favorite things to play with....till it winds up underneath something...like the fridge.

I also will make a fuzzy ball of one's fur as a remembrance of them...

I think the little figures that people make are amazing and so cute !!!

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cat fur ? Its inevitable around here....😉 I take a handful and run it under water. Then I roll it around in my palms until it is a tight ball..about the size of a malted milk ball. Its one of our cats' favorite things to play with....till it winds up underneath something...like the fridge.

I also will make a fuzzy ball of one's fur as a remembrance of them...

I think the little figures that people make are amazing and so cute !!!
How interesting, I didn’t know you could do that. I might try it next time I groom them (although I bet Daisy will ignore it - she’d rather attack my knitting or dig holes in my bedspread!)

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
In very olden times people would braid the beloved’s hair into the back of a necklace or pocket watch…on the front would be their sweetie in silhouette. I know b/c I have my grandma’s. I spose technically that means I could clone her which would be intriguing as she died before I was born. But all to say you could make cat hair jewelry.

PS Audubon says never to leave out laundry lint for birds as once the rain hits it it all gets soggy and then the nest gets soggy. Not true of cat hair tho.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PS Audubon says never to leave out laundry lint for birds as once the rain hits it it all gets soggy and then the nest gets soggy. Not true of cat hair tho.

-that is a great idea! leaving the cat hair outside for the birds to build nests with. Its soft, warm, never seems to biodegrade, there is a never ending supply of it with my two boys, and the birds can get some payback for being harassed by the cats.