What Do Kittens Sound Like?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I've had 5 or 6 kittens over the years, though maybe this is my first adopted at 10 weeks as opposed to more like 14? We call her Pip, short for Pip Squeaker. She has a little meow and little a chirp, and both often get this weird breathy sound at the end. Sometimes only the breathy sounds come out.

Is this an age thing or is she is a little different? She had round one booster and checkup at the vet (though not with me) and isn't due for a while. Although I really don't think its a health thing . . . just not anything I've heard before. Not that I recall anyway.

Katie M

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Each individual cat has a unique voice. My Charlie has been a squeaker since kittenhood, while Selene actually meows.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Baby Girl will sometimes deliver a silent meow while staring straight at you. We call this her being a "Food Vulture" because she wants a treat ;)
As long as she isn't sneezing, and doesn't have a runny nose or runny watery eyes and if she's eating, playing, it's probably just her.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
June Bug at 6 weeks or so, having big fun racing after me in the yard. At that age she would sometimes run 10 or 15 feet away, then zip back to me meowing like crazy.

Now, as an adult cat, she still has a very meek meow

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little one had a raspy "meep" meow when when she was little, and I started mimicking her. She began to respond to my calling, so that became her name. She still has a raspy meow, but doesn't meep any more.

As far as a breathy meow, Sir Eats-A-Lot uses a soft breathy meow, often modulated by a purr as his "cuddle" meow for me. I don't recall the breathiness when he was younger; it seems to have come as an adult cat.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my Graham squeaks. And she squeaks a lot. :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son has a cat that ends every meow with a uhff. It's like she is trying so hard to push out that meow it ends in a huff. She goes "meowuff, meowuff." Never heard a cat sound like that.