What Do I Use In A Caesar Salad?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going through Caesar salad withdrawal! I used to buy romaine, clean it, halve it, throw it on the grill to char, then chop it for my salads. I can't do that anymore. I've tried other lettuces and it's not the same thing. What can I try? Ideas, please! I miss my romaine!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I know, I love romaine :sigh:

....thinking out loud, what about Belgian endives?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ GOOD NEWS !
Romaine is back ... I just got a salad pack grown here in California inspected & approved by the FDA - deemed safe to eat . I shall take a risk and eat some today .
Please don't be jealous . I'm sure Romaine is coming to you soon ...

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm going through Caesar salad withdrawal! I used to buy romaine, clean it, halve it, throw it on the grill to char, then chop it for my salads. I can't do that anymore. I've tried other lettuces and it's not the same thing. What can I try? Ideas, please! I miss my romaine!
Since you grill it, I'd go ahead and eat some if you can find it. I read somewhere that most of the problem was thought to be related to prepackaged prepared romaine because people don't wash it. So any germs that we're on it stay on and multiply.

I did see romaine back on the shelves last night so it should be making it's way. But I personally prefer mixed greens over romaine.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was shopping in Aldi's today and not only did they have hearts of romaine but also an Italian blend salad mix containing romaine.If I'd been by myself,I'd have bought it,but ....ahem...someone said not to buy,so......great to know it's on it's way back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
~ GOOD NEWS !
Romaine is back ... I just got a salad pack grown here in California inspected & approved by the FDA - deemed safe to eat . I shall take a risk and eat some today .
Please don't be jealous . I'm sure Romaine is coming to you soon ...
Well, dang! The sooner the better!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was at the supermarket early this morning and they had all the shelves where the packaged lettuces and salad mixes usually are were bare with signs on them.