What do I need to do when I see a baby pigeon outside my yard?

Lawyer Zorro

Malaysian Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
I once saw a baby pigeon on my yard and I took care of it, but he ran off. Futhermore, I also had another one with almost fully grown feathers, but he died so I gave a proper burial for him. With all my stories told, what is the best thing to do when I see a baby pigeon on my yard? Over here in Malaysia, we do not have animal rehabilitation centers btw.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Usually, with wildlife, it's best to leave them alone. In most cases, they're living their best life and don't need any help.

If they've been around for a long time and you can tell they're orphaned or distressed for sure, you can do your best to help, but success rates aren't very high. The goal is usually to raise them to remain wild whenever possible, not to make pets out of them.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With birds that have fallen out of their nest or gotten lost usually the parents aren't to far away. I guide them under some bushes or some other shelter and keep an eye on them for a bit. Usually the parent caring for them will find them and take it from there.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You certainly have good intentions about those birds, but I have had almost no luck with ever taking in a weak or injured bird and having it survive.