what do i do

ricecrumble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i took in a feral kitten 3 weeks ago and i'm not really sure where i should go from here. he's around 12 weeks(?) old and i keep him in my bathroom. he'll eat next to me and play with me and usually is willing to eat from my hand. if i try to pet him he jerks away and i read somewhere that i should just let him come to my on his own terms so i would hold out my hand for him to smell, but now i guess he sees my hand as a toy because he doesn't run away but sometimes he'll start to attack it?? other times he goes back to ignoring me after sniffing it
i'm new to this so any help would be appreciated.
IMG-5886.JPG

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ricecrumble

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response!

He's pretty quiet, I think he's only meowed once the whole time so no
i leave 2 soft toys that he really likes in the room with him and use a wand toy occasionally when i'm there but i don't think my hand feels any different to him than the wands right now.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
i took in a feral kitten 3 weeks ago and i'm not really sure where i should go from here. he's around 12 weeks(?) old and i keep him in my bathroom. he'll eat next to me and play with me and usually is willing to eat from my hand. if i try to pet him he jerks away and i read somewhere that i should just let him come to my on his own terms so i would hold out my hand for him to smell, but now i guess he sees my hand as a toy because he doesn't run away but sometimes he'll start to attack it?? other times he goes back to ignoring me after sniffing it
i'm new to this so any help would be appreciated.
:hellosmiley: and welcome to TCS!

Thank you for rescuing this cute kitty. He's lovely! :hearthrob::redheartpump:

Great article links from Furballsmom Furballsmom

As for petting him, he may still be weary or may take your hand as a toy. If you want to pet him, do not make sudden moves and just clench your hand into fist form and gently moves towards him and brush his face gently with the back of the fist. Forming a fist form resembles head butting where cats like to do that because along their face are the scent glands.

I'll leave a video here to see how this lady rescued thus cat and how she pets him as the rescued cat is weary of her.

You may want to use a cat wand to play with him and it's good that he eats from your hand. Spend more time with him and give him time to adjust to the sights and sounds of the new place and when he feels that you and the room are no threat to him, his confident level will go up and in his own time, let him explore the place by himself.

Feel free to ask questions and do keep us updated and please do not rush him or betray your trust. He needs you and you are the only one he can trust.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is a precious kitty! Welcome and thank you for saving a life and giving love. Patience and time. Try getting him to play enough to get tired. Kittens have a lot of energy that needs to be expended. Since he doesn’t have a sibling to take out his energy and teach him the rules about biting hurts, he just needs your help. Lots of active play. Get him tired out and you may find he is in more of a mood to start snuggling or wanting to cuddle rather than nip. Your hands should never be used as a toy. Holding a toy he can bite may help to direct biting where it belongs. If you can use the wand toy to lead him across your lap (sit on the floor is possible) during play and he may decide to sit there and chew the toy. That exposure to sitting on you can ease him into other physical snuggling. Food given on a dish in your lap can help too. Laying down with him can get him curious about exploring you when you are in a position that a cat views as one of trust and vulnerability. Leaving a shirt with your scent on it can also help. If he starts to sleep on the shirt he will find your scent is associated with good and relaxing moments. There are lots of ways to help him to socialize. If he bites, you can also use cat speak for that by just turning your back to him the instant he does anything unacceptable like biting. That is cat language for ,” I don’t like what you just did.” It’s a form of rejecting the behaviors or saying to a cat that you are done. If kitty comes around you for attention after that, you may find he works to get a rub or even a pet.
Please do keep us updated! I am sure that others will add what has worked for them and their kitties. Questions and shared info are welcome and helpful to all!
Thank you again for saving a life! Bravo! :clap2::goldstar:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always try to make a pet petter to help with cats that are not used to touch. I take an old wand toy and cover it with a sock. It can be used as a toy at first and then gently touching the kitten with the soft end. Here is a picture below.

Also have you seen this video series on the rescue and socialization of feral kittens. There are some great tips. Tough Love Video - UrbanCatLeague

Attachments

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm a little late to the table here - you've gotten great advice from some really knowledgable folk already! The links are all great with amazing info - - hopefully you can read them all. The advice on using your hands too often is great too - - -it's something everyone (even those of us who've worked with lots of kittens!) is often tempted to do. Especially when they're little and especially adorable. But since you're now his mommy AND his littermate, you're the one who will need to teach him hands aren't toys (kittens learn their manners from their mom and siblings). So the wand toys are a great choice!

I'd also like to say thanks SO much for taking this little beauty in! He's absolutely adorable. What was the situation you took him in from? I'm largely curious because some of his actions/reactions don't seem completely feral. Although some do - - -and in the end, feral/stray/etc - what matters is that he now has a home and someone who obviously is very loving and willing to work through everything with him! The "Urban Cat League Tough Love" is great to see what true 100% feral kittens often act like - - altho that said, every cat and kitten are different!

And are you planning on giving this cutie a forever home? Do you have other cats (or other pets)? I ask because often answers to those type of questions help us in how to advise you. And as noted above - - - NEVER be afraid to ask a question here - - it's a big community with lots of kind, experienced folk who are more than happy to help you through this!

So keep us posted! (and pics are ALWAYS welcome :))