What do I do?! New kitten!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
:heartshape: :cheerleader: He looks good to me ! I can see why he is stealing your heart.:redheartpump: Please give us an update when you have one. Good luck today ... prayer going up that its all good for you !!! :lovecat2:
Thank you =) Honestly he LOOKS so much better today than he did when he first came in. His coats softer, he looks like he may have even gained a small bit of weight. He's snoozing now so I'm gonna go try and do the same! lol

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awwww so cute thanks for looking out for him. Such a shame about mama. I hope it goes well at the vet. And PLEASE just give him a cuddle from me. He's the cutest little thing, on a par with baby elephants. :redheartpump:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
1632782643272.png

UPDATE:
We just got home from the vet. I'm happy to say that he has gotten a clean bill of health, including no worms/parasites (the blood was from straining to poop.)
He's healthy and I'm so happy!
The vet did say the fleas seemed to be gathering up at the top of his head, so he gave us medicated shampoo. We bathed Charlie when we got home and flea combed out the fleas we found near the top, so I'm fairly sure we managed to get them all this time. He's clean, annoyed, but now happily chomping down on the kitten kibble the vet gave us for him.​

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
1632872649607.png

Thank you all on the compliments to his cuteness! Trust me, he knows! He had people falling all over him at the Vet, the lil romeo!
It's funny the first thing out of the secretary's (a lovely lady, we adore her!) mouth is "Please tell me you didn't name him Ida!" apparently they have a bunch of Ida's named after the storm, I had to giggle since we briefly thought of that name if Charlie had been a girl but nope! He's a boy!

Right now he's being a handful, very bitey and climby. I keep trying to re-direct to his mousey teething toy but it's so big that I think it scares him a bit as he mostly likes the tail part.

Any of you know if baby teething toys are safe to give him? I keep finding catnip infused ones online and I'm pretty sure he's to little for catnip

sorry about all the questions, I promise I'll make it up to you all by always including an adorable photo of Charlie in each post :winkcat:
It's just been so long since I raised a kitten that I feel a little flustered wanting to make sure he's safe, happy and knows he's loved. I think he knows he's loved though... I think he knew it the day my step dad brought him home. He was right at home snuggling in my moms arms and then in mine, and he was so good on the truck ride over - without a carrier. As if he trusted my step dad right from the start.

I want to give him his best life ever.​

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
:heartshape: and LOVING all the pics and updates ! funny that so many are naming kittens Ida .. that might be confusing down the road when they come out to the waiting room and say " Ida " and a bunch of kitty Moms stand up ! :insertevillaugh::lol:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Different cast but same characters so it should be very similar to the HBO version. And hopefully just as funny.
Kittens don't acquire a catnip response until their older. No problem giving him a catnip toy, but he probably won't get anything out of the catnip just now.

You might make him a kicker toy out of a couple old sweat socks one inside the other and tied in knots.
Oh! I was under the impression that catnip at a young age could make him sick, so was hesitant to buy the catnip infused ones.

I'm not worried about toys, haha. If you only knew how many I have! I feel like I live with toddlers the way cat toys are just everywhere.

:heartshape: and LOVING all the pics and updates ! funny that so many are naming kittens Ida .. that might be confusing down the road when they come out to the waiting room and say " Ida " and a bunch of kitty Moms stand up ! :insertevillaugh::lol:
Glad you like them! He sure loves being my lil model!

And right! I mean I get it, Ida was devastating but a new family member could be a bright spot to take the name back for people but I'll be laughing if that waiting room bit ends up happening haha.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He really is adorable:redheartpump: I'd stay away from any baby teething toys that go in the freezer. His sharp teeth could puncture them and they have stuff inside to freeze. I'd stick to cat toy's for him like V vince surgested socks tied in knots all my kitten's have loved to chew and kick.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
My cats and kittens have always enjoyed the small stuffed mice (no catnip inside) to bat around and carry in their mouth. Usually sold in 3-packs! 😻
We have a bunch of those! He doesn't seem to chew on them though. He likes to chew on the mouse ears, but it's so big and he's so small lol

CindyH66

Peanuts Mom
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh! I was under the impression that catnip at a young age could make him sick, so was hesitant to buy the catnip infused ones.

I'm not worried about toys, haha. If you only knew how many I have! I feel like I live with toddlers the way cat toys are just everywhere.

Glad you like them! He sure loves being my lil model!

And right! I mean I get it, Ida was devastating but a new family member could be a bright spot to take the name back for people but I'll be laughing if that waiting room bit ends up happening haha.
this actually happened to my husband; we were in a doctors office, waiting room . the nurse came out and just said " Tom" .. and 3 men stood up ! (including my hubby !) I burst out laughing and said " eenie meenie miney moe? " .. she left , red faced to get a last name .. true story !! happens with " common" names !! :insertevillaugh:

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
1633345245568.png

UPDATE:
So it's been about a week and so far Charlie's doing well. The vet gave me Hills kitten kibble for him that he wants him to eat and says fancy feast kitten is to rich for him/too much milk. Charlie nibbles the kibble but doesn't seem to like it AS much as the wet food, so I found myself giving him the wet food at night anyway and he always eats a healthy amount of it. He's been having some diarrhea though, I think, as a result, so I'm wondering if I should stop. I also haven't given him the formula in a few days and I'm wondering if I should start giving that to him again. Any ideas?

He's very playful, but in his biting phase. I try to re-direct to toys and it never really lasts long before he decides he wants human flesh again. I've been trying to convince my mother that it may be a good idea to take in another one of his litter, just so that he has someone his own age to learn with since right now he's so small that I don't trust the other cats not to hurt him by accident.

Jasper seems to want to play with him though, so that's a good thing at least! But I haven't put him down with them because I don't want to risk any accidents - any idea how old would be best to let them interact face to face?​

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie looks like he's growing well. Shouldn't be too long before he can have some face time with Jasper. How old are they?

If you can supervise their meeting in its entirety, you might try a short visit (a couple minutes). Be prepared for a hiss or growl. It sounds bad, but it's normal for a first meeting. Play it by ear, but don't let it go on long and without constant supervision at this early a stage.

You also could try a first meeting through a baby grate or a small opening through a door opened only a couple inches--enough for them to see each other, but not have any physical contact.