What do I do?! New kitten!

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
So while I thought we'd end up with one, I also wasn't prepared for one to be brought home RANDOMLY.

My step dad brought him home. He said he was huddled in a corner. The mother cat was there but my step dad couldn't find the other kittens.

He's one of the kittens my step dad helped rescue during the Hurricane.

Kitten has fleas, not a lot, but we noticed them. We gave him a can of wet food. He has water.

I lined a carrier with wee wee pads for him and tomorrow we're taking him right to the vet.

I haven't had a kitten this small in forever, what do I do to kitten proof? I just want to keep him safe.

What are the chances that he has FIP/FeLV/FIV??? I'm so nervous.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
For now, get through the night and to the vet.

Every one of these articles will have information on making your home safe, and helping this precious baby adapt!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to get my mom up to take him to the vet (I can't drive because of my knee x.x.) This morning woke up and he had some bloody poop. Like I see blood on the wee wee pad under the poop but not blood in the poop. Any ideas what this could be?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Worms most likely. Or constipation. You might bring a fecal sample to your vet to find out for sure. Almost all cats have worms of one kind or another, just make sure whatever he is treated for gets tapeworm. Almost all over-the-counter ones DO NOT. Yoru vet can treat him.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Worms most likely. Or constipation. You might bring a fecal sample to your vet to find out for sure. Almost all cats have worms of one kind or another, just make sure whatever he is treated for gets tapeworm. Almost all over-the-counter ones DO NOT. Yoru vet can treat him.
Do you think he'll be okay until Monday? My mother won't wake up and our vet only stays open on saturdays until 12.

I swear I feel like weekends are when we always have issues =/

So far he seems ok, I haven't seen any more bleeding outside of the bit in his poop. It was bright red, so fresh. I didn't see any worms in his poop, but I'm gonna keep an eye out next time he goes.

He's eating good, at least. Seems like he has a healthy appetite.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, it can wait until Monday. It could be the change in his diet, or it could be parasites or worms. Your vet will treat him.

Can your stepdad go back and check if the mother cat is there? She may need a rescue too!

Keep us posted!

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, it can wait until Monday. It could be the change in his diet, or it could be parasites or worms. Your vet will treat him.

Can your stepdad go back and check if the mother cat is there? She may need a rescue too!

Keep us posted!
I don't think Mama cat wants to be rescued! She's been at the warehouse before from what I understands and never seems to let anyone close.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I apologize for the graphic image!

Trying to clean the poop off his butt and noticed his butt is a bit extended/puffy. Is this normal in kittens?

1632601550527.png

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Small update: Charlie had his first bath and we got mostly all the gunk off him! Didn't see any fleas in the water.

We went to the store, bought him a pop up play pen, formula, kitten food and a flea comb!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He definitely needs treating at the vet for parasites. The bloody anus is indicative of intestinal parasites. Good you got him clean and picked up supplies!

His mom needs trapping and spaying or she will have unnecessary litter after litter. If you guys can’t do it, can you ask a rescue organization to do so please? I don’t think it’s right to just leave her.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
He definitely needs treating at the vet for parasites. The bloody anus is indicative of intestinal parasites. Good you got him clean and picked up supplies!

His mom needs trapping and spaying or she will have unnecessary litter after litter. If you guys can’t do it, can you ask a rescue organization to do so please? I don’t think it’s right to just leave her.
I really want to, but because it's not my stepdads company I'm not sure if we're able to call anyone to go in. It's a warehouse/mechanic shop so it could be dangerous for people to go in to look for the momma cat

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand, but I suggest that you ask your stepdad to go in and explain to the owner or manager that he “rescued” a kitten of the “shop” mama cat, and would they mind if he has a rescue group set a trap to catch the mama and TNVR her - this means “trap, neuter, vaccinate, and release” her back to this business. He should explain that means no more unwanted litters and it will cost them nothing.

I know it’s a little more work than just taking a scared kitten, but would make a world of difference in the mama cat’s life and future litters that have little to no future. Saving a kitten is awesome, but preventing future litters and making mama’s life easier and healthier is even more awesome.

I know it’s a big ask, but it’s worth a try! It’s what we do in this business of helping cats and kittens.

Also, in a few weeks, you’ll need to get your orange boy neutered so he never sprays or wants to go off tom-catting. He’s a baby right now, but needs to be neutered by about 4-5 months at the latest. 😊

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
I know it’s a big ask, but it’s worth a try! It’s what we do in this business of helping cats and kittens.
Yeah, I get it! I def want to, but I think because of how many strays are in the area, the company just doesn't bother trying to manage them anymore. It doesn't help that the parish it is in doesn't have any type of animal control, so for the most part there isn't much in terms of help. It's heart breaking and why, honestly, most of my animals were stray rescues. We adopted Jasper, Mia and Milo but even Jasper and Mia were from a mama who had been abandoned. It's so common here, sadly.

EDIT: He is eating like CRAZY. Devoured a whole can of Kitten Fancy Feast but did not seem as interested in the formula.

He did have some diarrhea, but figured the litter box out almost right away. No more blood that I can see.

He is super affectionate and wants to constantly be held and played with. Gums are pink, he's pretty playful. I think he's okay, but I'm going to be happy once the vet visit can officially clear him. Monday cannot come soon enough.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He should be just fine until then. The slight distension of the anus is not a "screaming emergency," but do bring it to the vet's attention. It is probably a result of the parasites. IF it is an early prolapse, it is almost certainly VERY easily treatable at this stage.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
At this age he needs to eat wet food 4-6 times a day, with dry kitten kibble and water available 24/7.

That’s a shame about all the strays in that parish.

Krienze

Super Cat
Purraise
Hey guys, vet visit is today so please cross your fingers for us that he gets a clean bill of health!

He's grooming himself, affectionate, eating and drinking, has pink gums, good coat, clear eyes, etc, so I'm pretty sure he'll be okay but my paranoia/anxiety always tries to tell me worst case scenarios.

His poop has started becoming consistent, haven't seen any worms (though still getting him checked!!) and no more bloody poops!

Here's a video of him in my moms arms! He's just stealing my heart.