What do after FIP cat passes?

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what forum this falls under, so please move it if need be. We lost our sweet 5 1/2 month old kitten today after a 3 month battle with FIP. While I am peace that he is no longer suffering and is not in pain, I am already starting to think about getting another (probably a pair) of kittens within the next few months to help ease my pain. (Likely because I had some time process the terms of his grave diagnosis and I knew what to expect).

From what I've read about getting another kitten(s) after one passes away from FIP is to do a good thorough cleaning of the entire house with bleach as well as a good vacuuming (as the virus is in dried litter particles and secretions). And wait about a month after that to introduce another cat (He was my only cat).

I guess my question becomes, for any of those who have experience with FIP, does this sound right? And in addition, I'm wondering what can we keep vs get rid of. From what I've read, food bowls will be fine if bleached and ran through dishwasher. We already got rid of the Litterbox/scoop. We got rid of soft toys that could not be washed on high heat or soaked in a bleach solution (hard toys). We got rid of the 2 small cat trees/scratching posts, and all the boxes He laid in. The one thing I am unsure of is we have a 48 in cat tree with about 7 scratching posts on it of which he used quite a bit, should we scrap it and get a new one or try to disinfect it?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your kitty. But, FIP is the result of a mutation to the corona virus brought on by a weaker immune system, primarily in kittens/younger cats, as well as elderly cats that acquired the corona virus at a young age but were able to 'control' it until some other illness wreaked havoc with their immune system triggering the virus to become active. The most common transmission of the corona virus is believed to be through the mother cat, or when kittens are housed in high-density facilities (i.e. shelters, catteries).

IMO, what you have done is adequate protection. But, the best thing you can do is to test to see if future kittens/cats have the corona virus to begin with. If they don't, you are probably 'out of the woods'. If they do, they were already exposed to it, and no precautions you take will protect them from MAYBE it mutating to FIP. Have you researched the number of cats who have corona virus vs. the ones who actually have it mutate to FIP?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. I am so sorry for your kitty. But, FIP is the result of a mutation to the corona virus brought on by a weaker immune system, primarily in kittens/younger cats, as well as elderly cats that acquired the corona virus at a young age but were able to 'control' it until some other illness wreaked havoc with their immune system triggering the virus to become active. The most common transmission of the corona virus is believed to be through the mother cat, or when kittens are housed in high-density facilities (i.e. shelters, catteries).

IMO, what you have done is adequate protection. But, the best thing you can do is to test to see if future kittens/cats have the corona virus to begin with. If they don't, you are probably 'out of the woods'. If they do, they were already exposed to it, and no precautions you take will protect them from MAYBE it mutating to FIP. Have you researched the number of cats who have corona virus vs. the ones who actually have it mutate to FIP?
Thank you for your condolences, I have done a lot of research on FIP due to this unfortunate occurrence, and I found a lot of what you are saying and I agree with that. I do plan on testing the new kitties for coronavirus exposure, but I know it is very common. I did find that 1-10 percent and up to 12 in certain circumstance develop FIP given exposure to coronavirus, which is still a pretty small chance. I would just feel so guilty if I accidentally exposed these kittens to coronavirus but if they have already been exposed, then it likely wouldn't matter in that case just if they had never been exposed before. I am planning on doing a complete deep cleaning of the entire house on every surface/object that was touched by the one who passed and wait about a month after that before getting others.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
After Figaro passed from FIP I got rid of his bed, dishes, litter box and toys. I kept the cat tree, I just used Lysol spray on it every week for a month and sat it in the sun for a full day. I also used bleach on the kitchen and bathroom floor and rented a carpet cleaner. Neko-chan is now almost 2 and is as healthy as can be. I also read that the virus only remains viable for 7 weeks, so you may want to wait 2 months.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi again, ct970.

Here's a recent piece from (probably) the most internationally recognized Vet to be associated with FIP research - it covers the detail you're needing.

Thinking of you guys (with very heavy hearts) :redheartpump:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ct970

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi again, ct970.

Here's a recent piece from (probably) the most internationally recognized Vet to be associated with FIP research - it covers the detail you're needing.

Thinking of you guys (with very heavy hearts) :redheartpump:
Thank you! Did you provide a link? I'm not sure if I missed it or it's not showing on my phone. Let me know, thanks!