What did you do with your wedding dress?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

I wore a white and cream beaded abaya - http://www.islamicboutique.com/wedding_abaya.asp - and I've worn it again on holidays and other special occasions. I'm debating if I want to attempt to dye it. I'm thinking lilac.
How pretty!!! I'm sure it would look fab in lilac... just check the type of fabric and thread to make sure it will take (I've had bad experiances!)

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once had one of those 80s brides maid dresses that is so garish. I made curtians for the bathroom out of the skirt.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
mine is preserved in a box in my parent's attic. I've been divorced now longer than I was married, but I don't know what I want to do with it, I loved that dress

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

mine is preserved in a box in my parent's attic. I've been divorced now longer than I was married, but I don't know what I want to do with it, I loved that dress
Yeah mine is in storage for the time being. Hate my ex husband,...but my dress was gorgeous, so I'm not sure what to do with it. I'd never resuse it if I got remarried (seems like bad luck) so I guess I'll try to sell it. I almost hate to part with the dress itself though because it's so cute.

crittermom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my first wedding dress went down the road.I got rid of it,about 10 years ago.(from first marriage) I didn't want it,and my daughter didn't either.
The one from my current marriage, is in my hope chest.It is just a simple dress that I got from Fashion Bug.We didn't have money for a real dress,and I was 4 1/2 months pg then too.
I will NOT part with the second one.My Daughter has even worn it to her Homecoming dance before.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't wear a wedding dress, if I had I think I'd sell it afterwards.

Mum has hers still in the wardrobe, despite being divorced for almost 30 years and knowing none of us will wear it she just keeps it hanging there and from time to time will say "I don't know why I'm keeping that"

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

I once had one of those 80s brides maid dresses that is so garish. I made curtians for the bathroom out of the skirt.
That's too funny!

My wedding dress is in a box.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sold mine under the heading of "For Sale, Size 12 wedding gown, excellent condition, worn once by mistake."

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

My mom turned hers into curtains for their first home.

I didn't wear a traditional dress by any stretch of the imagination. It's cotton and folds without creasing, so it's in with my summer things and I still wear it.

I don't know what I'd do if I'd worn a traditional dress... probably keep it for 10 or 15 years and then see if I felt up to selling it.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mines in its original bag, hanging in the closet
I did try to sell it a few yrs ago, but am glad it didnt sell after all. Heheh...

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rahma

I wore a white and cream beaded abaya - http://www.islamicboutique.com/wedding_abaya.asp - and I've worn it again on holidays and other special occasions. I'm debating if I want to attempt to dye it. I'm thinking lilac.
That is beautiful! That's so cool that you have been able to wear it again, and perhaps more if you dye it. It must feel so good to wear it, and remember your wedding day every time you put it on.

As for mine, it did accidentally become a cat bed for a while.
Ophelia must have sensed that soft material fit for her little princess-self was inside that garment bag because she shredded the bag. Didn't touch the dress itself, except for a few minor claw holes that she didn't mean to do. But she did get it situated on top of a box so it was the perfect satin bed. Little stinker!

After that it got put into a different bag and is put into a closed closet in the new house. I can't part with it, even though the only time I've really taken it out to even look at it was when I found that Ophelia had used it as her bed.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As I made mine, I didn't have to heart to get rid of it (it's based on an 1860's original in the Victoria & Albert Museum). Even though I hated what it looked like in the pics (looked great in the mirror, though!), it is a pretty dress off of me. (White silk bridal matte satin, cotton net/handmade lace veil, accented with genuine seed pearls and glass beads, with matching silk petticoat.)

I had it cleaned, then made 100% cotton muslin bags to store it in. (You want 100% cotton fabric to store clothing in, as it "breathes".)

I also made my genuine pearl tiara. I was hoping that, even if they didn't want the dress, one of my nieces would at least wear the tiara for their wedding someday. I made it to be an heirloom. (I don't have kids.) However, since that branch of my so-called "family" no longer acknowleges me, I doubt this will ever happen. In fact, I believe a second niece was born nearly 3 years ago, but I was never told anything, and don't even know her name. I heard about her birth elsewhere. But, that's another story that I won't bore you with!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had mine cleaned and in a box with the hat. (24 years now).

Several years ago there was an article in local newspaper about a lady who turned wedding dresses into some sort of quilt or something of that sort. There were photos and they looked great. Would have to keep away from the cats though.

Just think if someout could come up with that concept. Could be a money maker!!