What Degree Of Fold Are My Kittens Ears (if Folded)?

Will his ears fold back?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! I just had a small question regarding my Scottish fold (or straight) kitten Bear's ears. At three weeks, my Bear's ears looked pretty folded. Then, he developed a small cold (a bit of sneezing and his eyes were a little runny) and his ears unfolded a bit. I've heard that when a scottish fold is sick, their ears may unfold, so I thought that was normal. Now, at six weeks old, his ears don't look any better than they did two and a half weeks ago. I also heard that when they are teething, their ears will unfold a bit, is this true? When should I expect his ears to fold again (if they do)?
Thank you all so much!
Him at 4.5 weeks:
IMG_0585.jpg

And him last week:
IMG_0812.jpg

And now...
IMG_0758.JPG

On some days, he will look more folded than other days. He also has two creases on the sides of his ears that are pretty apparent and his ears are sometimes bent there.
Can you all please tell me what is going on? Is he a scottish straight? Is he a single fold, a double fold, or a triple fold (I doubt that he is a triple fold tho)?
Thank you all so much!

Attachments

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, he's a cutie!

I don't have any personal experience, but from what I can find, you can't really know what's going on with their ears until they're 11 or 12 weeks old. So give it some time.

Katiebird

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I breed and show Scottish Folds and Straights and it’s true that illness, hormones, and heat can affect their ears. One of my fold males had a bad URI as a kitten and his ears definitely lifted after that, although he was still able to do well in the show ring. In the last picture your kitten looks more like a straight ear than a fold. By four weeks of age you should know what the ears are going to do, although they can become more tightly folded as the kittens get older. When in doubt, you can always submit DNA samples to the UC Davis Feline genetics lab, which will tell you definitively if your kitten is a fold or a straight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

British Girls

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that was one of the days when I was sure he was a straight,but then the next day. his ears were a bit folded again (sigh). I will try submitting samples to the UC Davis Feline genetics lab