What could this be?

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've noticed a strange patch in my rescue cat. It feels kind of hard and dry, but kind of flaky (like dry skin) when you touch it?
It's near his tail (bottom left corner of pic is his tail) and he's not dirty, it's just the wound cream looking all oily and darker in that part.

I noticed it when brushing him (he's currently in a cone).
He has a vet appointment on Thursday scheduled already to follow up on surgery and various parasites (some treatment has been started, he's had frontline a couple weeks ago and drontal recently).

I was just wondering if anyone has an idea what this could be and if it can wait until Thursday. He doesn't seem to feel any discomfort or anything when I touch the area.

Attachments

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Considering you say it doesn't seem to be bothering him and in the photo it doesn't look like it's irritated or infected or anything, it can likely wait. You're clearly concerned though, so perhaps calling the vet when they're open and asking about it will help you. Also considering this cat is a rescue it could be ringworm or something someone should be a long soon that can give you more information.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I hope it's not, he's had (besides the injury, surgery and a month and counting of recovery) fleas and worms.. I really hope not ringworm too, poor fella. I'm hoping it might be connected to fleas as in allergy, but he also has a kinda "ring" around his neck where the fur is shorter and kind of dull and shabby looking.
Poor baby. He doesn't seem to be in discomfort and he's still separated from my resident cat so I think we'll wait until Thursday and see what the vet says. Thank you for the reply :)))

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does kind of look like ringworm (which, BTW, is a fungus, not a worm) I'd send this photo to your Vet ASAP and see what they say. Maybe they can squeeze you in early, or at least give their opinion on it because if it IS ringworm the sooner you start treating it, the better.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, this looks like ringworm.
It's typical of rescues that had lots of stress, previous diseases and are lacking or have been lacking a proper diet.

It's nothing to be afraid of. Your vet could prescribe a good medicine. I used it too, with both my kitties when I rescued them, and it worked perfectly.
The con is that it's expensive and the treatment is 5 weeks long.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your replies!

Is it an oral medicine?
He's been good about wound care but I'm not sure he would tolerate the foamy stuff being put on his bum, let alone being bathed. I hope my resident cat doesn't catch it because he will not be cleaned, bathed or even medicated orally. It's a task and a half to get a spot on on him.. :sigh:

I'm trying not to feel defeated with the progress, it feels like every time we tackle one problem another two or three pop up. He's such a sweetie but it's becoming overwhelming and daunting sometimes. He keeps tearing down the gate and Charly gets very upset with that noise and starts hissing and growling. Yoda doesn't even want to come out of the bedroom more than a few steps now (while Charly is on balcony outside). I gave up on that and took the fence down now. Waiting for a tall baby gate to arrive in 7 days. In the meantime, I'll have to avoid door dashing with toys and treats thrown in opposite directions.

We can't get to the vet sooner, I missed work a lot taking care of him and the half of last week when I was sick, and I've got full day shifts until Thursday when he has his appointment. I'm not in a position to ask for more time off or I might start risking my job :ohwell: I mean I would if it was very urgent or emergency of course.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one I used was an oral medicine, few drops a day for a week, nothing for another week, then again, for three times, five weeks in all.
The drops are adjusted on the cat weight, so having a precise weight of the cat is of the essence. And because a cat grows, it is good to weigh him every new week of treatment.

It has a rather good taste, so the cat isn't even put off by it.
I don't think that I can write the name of the medicine here, but it starts with an "I" and ends with an "L".
The price is in the region of 60 euro for a 100 ml bottle.
Of course your vet might prescribe something different.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
noani noani , you really need to keep the cats separated because if it IS ringworm, it is contagious. The other cat has probably already been exposed since the spore can get pretty much everywhere. Even humans can get it, but it's nothing that will cause you to lose anymore work. Depending on how bad it is, sometimes it does require special shampoos along with oral medications. Sometimes even dips, like a shampoo that you leave on for several minutes. Did you send a picture to your Vet to ask their opinion? I would at least do that.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The one I used was an oral medicine, few drops a day for a week, nothing for another week, then again, for three times, five weeks in all.
The drops are adjusted on the cat weight, so having a precise weight of the cat is of the essence. And because a cat grows, it is good to weigh him every new week of treatment.

It has a rather good taste, so the cat isn't even put off by it.
I don't think that I can write the name of the medicine here, but it starts with an "I" and ends with an "L".
The price is in the region of 60 euro for a 100 ml bottle.
Of course your vet might prescribe something different.
Thank you! I'll see if she is able to prescribe something of this sort. Any kind of oral meds that don't taste too bad they will eat with wet. The only thing they've been fussy about was drontal. So if it's oral that should be easy peasy. Otherwise... Have to get creative. :p

noani noani , you really need to keep the cats separated because if it IS ringworm, it is contagious. The other cat has probably already been exposed since the spore can get pretty much everywhere. Even humans can get it, but it's nothing that will cause you to lose anymore work. Depending on how bad it is, sometimes it does require special shampoos along with oral medications. Sometimes even dips, like a shampoo that you leave on for several minutes. Did you send a picture to your Vet to ask their opinion? I would at least do that.
Thank you for the reply :)
I did actually talk to the vet today (I'm surprised she still picks up with how often I've been calling), she said it's not clear enough in the picture but it's not serious and she can't see me before Wednesday afternoon anyways. Our appointment is Thursday morning so we just left it at that as I already took time off work for Thursday morning.
They are still separated, they are in the very early stage of cohabiting - no visual contact, just scent sound and some paw play. It's been a month so he might have been exposed already. Fingers crossed he doesn't get it and it's not so bad and will clear up "easily". He's been through so much, poor little squish.

Pics aren't related to the sore but here he is relaxing and playing (with a big dog toy, only thing he can kick and bite simultaneously) on the sofa :) almost time for the cone to come off!!!

Attachments

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's ringworm, vet confirmed Thursday, but gave me one a chlorhexidine based foam. Wasn't convinced but I thought ok i'll Trust her, despite the fact that is has no antimycotic properties whatsoever.

Yoda managed to wriggle out of the cone while I was at work and licked at it so much that it was completely opened.

He didn't want to eat last night nor this morning, and hasn't been wanting to play. He hasn't even meowed for cuddles. So at 7 this morning (Italian time) I called my partner and we took him to the clinic as he was acting so strange and I was worried.

200 euros later, they did different tests and have confirmed it is ringworm, despite not showing up under wood lamp (they took a sample). He now has 4 different meds between a topical antifungal foam, vitamins for his immune system, a paste for something else that I can't even remember, and Ribes oil capsules for the itching and skin/fur health.

I haven't slept so I'm exhausted. Hoping he'll make a speedy recovery and it's the last hiccup for this poor little fella who has not only had a deep infected wound that required surgery and a long recovery, but ALL possible parasites.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I replied to your post where you said it's ringworm and the vet gave you the chlorhexidine, and why I would opt for the med I told you about, but I can't see that post and don't want to write it down again, so, in brief, I'd rather use it on place of what you got.

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw it, but I took him to a different vet today, so he's got some antifungal, and other meds to help his immune system now. It's a very small area so he won't be getting systemic antifungal treatment (unless it doesn't respond to topical). We'll see how it goes.
The one you mentioned would probably have been easier (and cheaper than all they gave me combined), but I do agree it's best to try less "severe" approach first.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Poor guy. Hoping for a quick recovery for everything, ringworm included.