What could the kittens look like?

Kitten in Wonderland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!
I'm a new poster and would appreciate some input from this wonderful cat community.

What colours and patterns could the kittens have if the father is solid black and the mother is a dilute torbie and white/dilute caliby?

Thanks so much in advance for answering.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Caliby isn’t a term used for colour or pattern. I assume by dilute you mean blue tortie (there are several dilute colours), perhaps blue tortie tabby & white since you’ve added 2 different descriptions.

Kittens can be black, red males, if he carries dilute - blue, cream males
Black tortie females, if he carries dilute blue tortie females.
If she is with white the kittens can be, if she is tabby the kittens will be, if she carries solid the kittens can be.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kitten in Wonderland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for answering and helping out with the correct vocabulary :happycat:

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you got photos of them? Hopefully also planning on getting them neutered? Mum can be done at the same time as her kittens, before they are adopted out.

Kitten in Wonderland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have a pregnant kitty. Just got interested in cat genetics cause I saw this pic online. I may not have used the correct expressions though, since I'm not that well versed in this topic

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Your question is put good enough. Caliby although no official term, is common and we do understand what you mean. Yeah, the female here could be called for a caliby. Although Im not sure she is diluted.

So, daddy is essentially neutral here. He carries black, but so does momma too. but he can have the recessive gene of dilute and or point.

Kittens will essentially get mommas coloring and pattern. so take a pick of her colors and patterns. She too can have diluted and or pointed gene upon her sleeve.

some or all kittens will be tabbies. Some or all kittens will have white spots. Some will be black. Some may be red. girls will tend to be torties / torbies with or without white.

there may be someone grey, and someone pointed. (alike in your example photo, where one of the kittens was a point, although none of the parents is a point; but both apparently are carriers of the recessive point gene).

so, with momma such a three colored, and tabby, you will get a quite differentiated batch...

With such a multicolored batch, its common folks thinks there were several males. Although this is possible, but usually its enough with one good male (and a good female!) if you know the basic color and pattern genetics in cats.... :)

ps. They can also likewise both be carriers of the recessive longhair gene. IF so, you may also get a longhaired kitter or even 2.

Kitten in Wonderland

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Your question is put good enough. Caliby although no official term, is common and we do understand what you mean. Yeah, the female here could be called for a caliby. Although Im not sure she is diluted.

So, daddy is essentially neutral here. He carries black, but so does momma too. but he can have the recessive gene of dilute and or point.

Kittens will essentially get mommas coloring and pattern. so take a pick of her colors and patterns. She too can have diluted and or pointed gene upon her sleeve.

some or all kittens will be tabbies. Some or all kittens will have white spots. Some will be black. Some may be red. girls will tend to be torties / torbies with or without white.

there may be someone grey, and someone pointed. (alike in your example photo, where one of the kittens was a point, although none of the parents is a point; but both apparently are carriers of the recessive point gene).

so, with momma such a three colored, and tabby, you will get a quite differentiated batch...

With such a multicolored batch, its common folks thinks there were several males. Although this is possible, but usually its enough with one good male (and a good female!) if you know the basic color and pattern genetics in cats.... :)

ps. They can also likewise both be carriers of the recessive longhair gene. IF so, you may also get a longhaired kitter or even 2.
Thanks so much! Your knowledge of kitty genetics is awesome and your answer is even more informative than I could've expected.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The one with the kittens isn't dilute and isn't torbie. If the dad is black then the red kitten is a boy. The black and seal pointed ones could be girls or boys. She could also have tortie girls but it doesn't look like either dark kitten is tortie. Obviously both parents carry the colorpoint gene.

The one in the standalone picture could have a similar set of babies but more of a chance for tabbies since she's torbie.