What Could He Be Mixed With?

ASingleNugget

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten right now is right at 3 months and 2 weeks old. I got him as a foster from the shelter I was working at at the time when he was about 10 days old. He was large for a 10 day old, definitely looked more the size of a 14-16 day old, but based on his teeth, ears still being folded, his eyes barely being open, and the fact that he still couldn't walk, we had to go with 10 days.

He is HUGE for his age now! He's 5.2 lbs! He has the height and length of some of my friends full grown cats! My other cat is large (21lb) but he's also chronically overweight and always has been. Nugget has no signs of obesity in the slightest, and actually looks lanky for how large he is! He went from 3.2 lbs to 4.8 lbs in 6 days.

I'm just trying to figure out what he could possibly be mixed with that he's growing at this rate and getting so large so early on. He's a cream colored DSH. He has vague and minimal tabby pattern on his legs, face, sides, and tail, and his abdomen is spotted. His ears are way out of proportion for his body, and the bigger he gets, the bigger they get. His coat has darkened a bit as he's aged, but it has an interesting texture that I'm not sure how to describe. He was abandoned with another kitten on the side of the road in a box, and a lovely woman saw them and brought them straight to our shelter. The other kitten was DOA unfortunately, but Nugget was still alive. That's a picture of him in my profile, I will try and figure out how to post more (I'm still trying to figure the site out.)

Thanks for any help!

Edit: I added pictures, hopefully they can be viewed fine. The three I had that seemed to give a good idea of what he looked like and weren't just pictures of him being dumb are at various ages. The one with him laying out and sleeping on his back was when he was about 1 month and 3 days, the one with him in his bow tie collar was at about 2 months and 2 weeks, and the one with him just sitting up was at about 3 months and 2 days of age. I'm currently trying to find a picture that more accurately displays the difference in size, but for now this is what he looks like.
IMG_20170709_222719.jpg
IMG_20170622_184819_489.jpg
Snapchat-67418333.jpg

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The looks are rather ordinary for a red / creme moggie - even if he IS sweet. But he may of course have an giant ancestor. A maine coom mated with a shorthair may give such result hairwise.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cute little boy! He would be called a cream Domestic Shorthair, with ghost mackeral tabby markings. I love the picture of him in a bow tie! :loveeyes:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I wrote, MCO x shorthair, gives such here hair - shorthair is dominant.

But the MCO has much stronger and more quadruple jaws than this nice boy.

I wont speculate too much about possible ancestry, too long and too difficult.

I wanted just to say, Im not saying he IS a blend of of MCO and shorthair in first generation. Second generation perhaps... ie a grandfather.