What could cause localized inflammation/gingivitis around a single tooth?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey all! :> Was hoping to make a more lighthearted and fun post today, given that it’s Jum’s second birthday today, but I consciously noticed that Jum still(?) has localized inflammation/gingivitis around one of her teeth. Is this most likely early FORL, or is there a less insidious thing that could cause something like this?

For context:
- Jum is young and otherwise healthy
- Is booked in to see her usual vet dentist on Sunday evening (I just have really bad anxiety issues and I’m hoping y’all might be able to reassure me)
- Last got her teeth cleaned professionally in September and I brush her teeth daily with enzymatic toothpaste. My one thought is that I might, subconsciously, not brush the left side of her mouth as well as her right (as she used to have discomfort there), which might be the cause of her localized gingivitis? Her dentist did mention she has “thin” gums (not sure what the correct term is in English), meaning that her gums will show signs of irritation at relatively minimal levels of plaque. Alternatively, since her tooth is rather small on that side, could I be inadvertently irritating her gum while brushing that area? I use a very soft bristled brush intended for young children on her.
-Her breath smells normal, no issue grooming, eating, and no signs of heightened drooling. All her other gums are her usual healthy light pink with no visible inflammation.
- She was born without the buds for three of her adult canine teeth. As she lost her milk teeth fairly young, and I was unable to find a competent vet dentist until too late, she ended up with a traumatic occlusion, where the tooth at the back of her mouth traumatized the lower gum. Her dentist did a routine procedure where she filed down the tooth to a length where it wouldn’t traumatize her gum, which is why she has the cute little blue filling (dentist had white, but blue is easier to monitor on the slim chance something happens to her filling). I’m unsure if the inflammation hasn’t fully gone down since her procedure, or if it went away and came back again. I check her teeth regularly, every time I brush, so I guess I just didn’t have the conscious realization of “oh shit, her gum really shouldn’t be inflamed anymore”.
- Edit to note that she's tested positive for calicivirus in the past (she's up to date on vaccines, and has never had a serious flareup), and has had minor lesions on the roof of her mouth that quickly went away. She'll have flareups now and again, but I've not noticed any recently. Could the inflammation in her gum be related, or is it unlikely, given that it's irritation around a sole tooth?

Thank you in advance, all ;w; as a side note, I’m being really gentle with Jum in the photo, I know it looks rough :< had to take this pic while she was dozing on the couch to get a decent shot one handed. She got treats and loving after ^^

Edit 2: Just went to look at the photo I took of her filling when she first got it in September. It’s definitely significantly wore away at the points of adhesion. It’s well possible it was intended to wear away as it was just used to help build up the filling (since the tooth wouldn’t have been made shorter along the edges, where the filling has worn down), but I’m now doubly glad that I’ve booked an appointment for Sunday. Second attached is a blurry photo of how her filling used to look. Here’s hoping it was meant to do that, as I’m not keen on having her filling replaced every few months. Couldn’t be good for her to be a anesthetized so often, either.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Update -- Just contacted Jum's vet dentist with the photo of the wear, she reassured me that it's normal that the fillings go down over time -- overly hard fillings could damage the tooth due to difference in density. The intention is that she slowly wears the filling down, and she'll get it 'topped up' as needed with dental gels during routine dental cleaning. She'd warned me when the filling was done, but I hadn't expected it to be this drastic!

In any case, she said she doesn't see anything too critical in her condition, and that it's most likely plaque buildup, since the tooth is really small and hard to clean, or that she got something small stuck between her teeth.

Still going to that Sunday appointment, but I'm hopeful that everything will blow over :> I'll leave this up just in case it can help anyone in future ^^

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
HI. Glad the vet helped to reassure you that what you're seeing was to be expected and doesn't feel this is an emergency situation. Sometimes, the vet can be your best resource, especially when they have the background that your vet has with Jum. Hope the appt. goes well! Fingers crossed!