What Containers Do You Use To Store Your Raw Pet Food In The Freezer?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looking for 12 oz containers ideally. Honestly one of the most time consuming parts of making raw pet pet food is putting them into the containers. Anyone know any good containers that I can freeze?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rubbermaid and Tupperware, cheaper brands don't freeze well and can crack/break.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I really like the OXO brand line of glass freezerwares (you can buy on Amazon). They also have a baby line "OXO Tot" that has perfect smaller glass containers for portioning. It's a bit pricey but I'm willing to purchase good stuff that saves freezer space and is safe to use.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For small batches of ground food, tupperware is great!!
For large batches of chunks or whole pieces, or if you prep food per meal per pet, ziplock bags can't be beat IMO.
ETA: If you prep large batches for many cats in day size portions, you can cut costs by using regular "non freezer" ziplocks. Put all the food you can into a bag, "breathe" the air out of the bag, then flatten. Store as many of these as you can in a gallon size (or larger) freezer safe bag.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using the inexpensive Gladware or Ziploc containers. The 24oz size would hold 20oz of food. A 16oz size would hold at least 12oz. They do crack and break if you drop them coming out of the freezer.

I switched to storing food in the liver containers. They're much sturdier. I haven't had a single one break. I prefer washables to the Ziploc bags just to reduce trash.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was using the inexpensive Gladware or Ziploc containers. The 24oz size would hold 20oz of food. A 16oz size would hold at least 12oz. They do crack and break if you drop them coming out of the freezer.

I switched to storing food in the liver containers. They're much sturdier. I haven't had a single one break. I prefer washables to the Ziploc bags just to reduce trash.
That's the downside of ziplocks =(

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do use more than I'd like. I break huge chunks of roasts and whole cuts into the quart sized bags of cubed meat, but once I get a recipe mix done it goes into tubs.
We have some really large plastic containers we mix cat food in (grinds only!) These are when we do the meat/bone/organ ratio with egg yolks and all the fancy stuff.
In my dream world glass, freezer friendly containers would rule because eventually plastic wears out and gets hard to clean efficiently.
We have plastic deli style containers available and these store chunks well, but freezer space can become a problem.
What can I say. I just need another freezer!!! =D

dhammagirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found some at the Dollar Tree store. Super cheap, freezer safe. A few have eventually cracked.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just pouring milk into pint Ball canning jars to freeze (because I can't drink a whole gallon before it goes bad).

While I was pouring the milk I thought, "If I were only feeding one or two cats, these wide-mouth jars would be perfect for freezing raw food if you prefer glass." You have to leave 3/4 - 1 inch of headspace and not tighten the lids down for 24 hours so the glass doesn't break when the food expands during freezing.

They're also economical, around $10 per dozen.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We prefer 1 oz pucks and ice cubes. When I'm buying raw I get the pucks around 45-50 calories a piece. When I'm making raw, it all goes into ice cube trays and was being stored in a big cardboard box, but I finally found a sealed plastic tote of the same dimensions at the Container Store.