What colour?

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The people I got him from just called it gray. He keeps getting darker, has a sister with similar colours except slightly darker and with more contrast in the pattern and no white spots.

IMG_20200923_131106.jpg
c4d73511-190a-4618-97ae-19832fab4fb4.jpeg
e39bc4e6-29f1-4594-b9f1-8e5e1b7d9d6a.jpeg
IMG_20200923_120541.jpg

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the pictures, he appears to be black smoke and white in color. When you part his coat to look at the base of his hairs, are the hairs very light at the base?

He also has some scattered lighter hairs across his back, I would guess that might be fever coat that is growing out. Was he much lighter in color when he was younger?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In the pictures, he appears to be black smoke and white in color. When you part his coat to look at the base of his hairs, are the hairs very light at the base?

He also has some scattered lighter hairs across his back, I would guess that might be fever coat that is growing out. Was he much lighter in color when he was younger?
They are somewhat lighter, but not really white I think. I'll try to take a picture later.

I didn't know about fever coat when I picked him up so didn't ask them and the 2. picture is the only one I have of him as little. Picture 1 and 4 was taken today, the others except for 2. is from 2 weeks ago.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They are somewhat lighter, but not really white I think. I'll try to take a picture later.

I didn't know about fever coat when I picked him up so didn't ask them and the 2. picture is the only one I have of him as little. Picture 1 and 4 was taken today, the others except for 2. is from 2 weeks ago.
I forgot to mention that when he was little his inner fur was apparently very short and the guard hairs "long and thin". I don't know if that tells you anything? Here's a picture of his fur from 2 weeks ago:lol:

4fdbed47-12b1-4e6e-ad04-8799202836e8.jpeg

It's not as pronounced now.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Its probably a fever coat, it's common and the black kitties look extreme. Looks like he is a black/white DSH.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Its probably a fever coat, it's common and the black kitties look extreme. Looks like he is a black/white DSH.
He's definitely gray with darker markings, I don't know if there's a name for that in cats or if it's called black?

When does fever coat usually dissappear? He's 15 or 16 weeks now.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would bet on a fever coat too, mama was sick or stressed while pregnant. The true color can take 6-8 months to come out. I think he will be mostly black when done growing. He is absolutely beautiful!

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so this is a pretty bad picture, but his undercoat is mostly this colour. I don't want to call that white, it's more... squiggly gray?

Attachments

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is probably black smoke in color, but he might turn out to be solid black. He still doesn't have his adult coat. As his coat develops, you will see if the base of the hair turns out to be lighter (more white or nearly white) or darker (blackish, brownish, or darker gray than that).

The light hair tips look like fever coat that is growing out. I would expect the light hair tips to diminish over time as new hairs grow in.
When does fever coat usually dissappear? He's 15 or 16 weeks now.
It's variable, depending on when the fever coat appeared.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think he is probably black smoke in color, but he might turn out to be solid black. He still doesn't have his adult coat. As his coat develops, you will see if the base of the hair turns out to be lighter (more white or nearly white) or darker (blackish, brownish, or darker gray than that).

The light hair tips look like fever coat that is growing out. I would expect the light hair tips to diminish over time as new hairs grow in.

It's variable, depending on when the fever coat appeared.
So far, 3 people have said that the white is probably fever coat, so you guys are probably right. :lol: I really can't picture him as solid black and white though.

Anyways, I was curious because I've never seen this colouring/shade before, and I also don't know what to write in the booklet I get from the vet. Black and white/black, grey and white?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyways, I was curious because I've never seen this colouring/shade before, and I also don't know what to write in the booklet I get from the vet. Black and white/black, grey and white?
He is either black smoke and white, or black and white. You could write either of those in the booklet. I think black smoke and white is more likely, but he may turn out to be black and white instead. You will have to wait and see how his coat develops.

He is not grey and white, that is a different color.

Here are some typical examples of shorthaired black smoke cats, so that you can see what black smoke looks like in an adult cat. (These are not my cats, the pictures were just grabbed off the web.) If you were to part the hair on these cats, you would see that the tips of the hair are black, and they have a very light, nearly white undercoat. The amount of light undercoat can vary. Some black smoke cats appear black on the surface, and the light undercoat is only visible when the hairs are parted.

2a50df6dc1bdd932915daa0f3218b6a5.jpg
1600px-Shimatora_Smith_3.JPG
Guppy_large.jpg

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is either black smoke and white, or black and white. You could write either of those in the booklet. I think black smoke and white is more likely, but he may turn out to be black and white instead. You will have to wait and see how his coat develops.

He is not grey and white, that is a different color.

Here are some typical examples of shorthaired black smoke cats, so that you can see what black smoke looks like in an adult cat. (These are not my cats, the pictures were just grabbed off the web.) If you were to part the hair on these cats, you would see that the tips of the hair are black, and they have a very light, nearly white undercoat. The amount of light undercoat can vary. Some black smoke cats appear black on the surface, and the light undercoat is only visible when the hairs are parted.

View attachment 352171
View attachment 352172
View attachment 352173
Thank you very much! Those cats look gorgeous, I definitely haven't seen that colour before either. I can see how you think he might turn out like that, but I guess I'll just have to wait and see then. My own little pokemon.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ps, sorry about the weird English.

ZombieTiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's seems to be black smoke and white, all right. He stopped getting darker too, but the undercoat that I thought was grey seems more white-ish now. He still has a lot of the white guard hairs.

IMG_20210109_202016492.jpg