What colour is my unusual Menzies?

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
People frequently comment on how unusual the colour of my cat Menzies. I've described her on her registration as slate grey smoke with stripes and spots. Recently, I've been trying to work out the formal description.
I've come up with something that I don't know is even possible.
Blue and Lavender smoke torbie?
In the sunlight is when the pinkish brown colour becomes obvious, in addition to the light and dark grey.
What would you say?
20191030_182446.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Her fur is also as silky as you could possibly imagine - she keeps it immaculate condition - when she's giving herself a bath you can hear her slurping, and she becomes visibly wet.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is either black smoke, or blue smoke. My guess from the pictures would be black smoke, although you say that she is slate gray? Would you describe the very DARKEST parts of her coat as black or gray? Her coloring looks very similar to a black smoke barn cat that my family had when I was a child.

Some black smokes appear solid black, until you part the hairs and look at the white undercoat, while other black smokes have a ghostly tabby pattern, like your cat. Black smokes often have a grayish and/or brownish appearance, particularly if they go outdoors, as black fur can fade and "rust" from exposure to the sun and weather.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The face is intriguing me. The face structure reminds me of a Devon Rex. Some of them are even smoke... Is there any possibility there was perhaps a Devon Rex stud around, taking some leisure walks around the neigbourhood??

These arent common, even more rare than say, Russian blues, but the chance although near zero, is bigger than nil.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
StefanZ StefanZ your Devon Rex must look very different in Sweden from ours in the United States, she doesn't look the least bit like a Devon Rex to me :) Here, the Devon Rex breed has a very short pixie-like face and huge eyes and ears.

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The face is intriguing me. The face structure reminds me of a Devon Rex. Some of them are even smoke... Is there any possibility there was perhaps a Devon Rex stud around, taking some leisure walks around the neigbourhood??

These arent common, even more rare than say, Russian blues, but the chance although near zero, is bigger than nil.
I have no idea. Menzies was rescued by a TNR group from a suburban cat colony at the age of 6 months. She may have been dumped. So her history and ancestry could be anything. I was her foster Mum.

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is either black smoke, or blue smoke. My guess from the pictures would be black smoke, although you say that she is slate gray? Would you describe the very DARKEST parts of her coat as black or gray? Her coloring looks very similar to a black smoke barn cat that my family had when I was a child.

Some black smokes appear solid black, until you part the hairs and look at the white undercoat, while other black smokes have a ghostly tabby pattern, like your cat. Black smokes often have a grayish and/or brownish appearance, particularly if they go outdoors, as black fur can fade and "rust" from exposure to the sun and weather.
I'd describe her darkest parts as dark slate grey. I have a black cat as well, so it's easy to compare. She also has this purplish lavender like tone, though. Does that happen in blue cats?

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Anything is possible! Could that also explain her extraordinarily silky fur? She's like no cat I've ever patted - and I've patted a few! 😄

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The photos actually make her look more brown than she is. It's more of a pinkish/purplish/greyish brown. If that makes sense. 😄

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd describe her darkest parts as dark slate grey. I have a black cat as well, so it's easy to compare. She also has this purplish lavender like tone, though. Does that happen in blue cats?
Yes, it's normal for blue cats to have a variety of tones that you might describe as grayish, purplish or brownish. "Lavender" in cats is a different color that is a lot lighter than your cat.

Menzies

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, it's normal for blue cats to have a variety of tones that you might describe as grayish, purplish or brownish. "Lavender" in cats is a different color that is a lot lighter than your cat.
Thanks!