What color will their kittens be?

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey! I was wondering if anyone could tell me what color my cats kittens will be? I have the Male an appointment to be neutered, and she will be fixed after the kittens are born. I'm going to try to add pictures, but in case it didn't work...the mom is a cream color with a grey tail, and a slightly grey face. Her hair is pretty short, but she has a fluffy tail. The dad is an orange bobtail. His fur is thick, but not really long. But his little cotton ball tail is bushy, so I think it would be fluffy like hers if it was longer. Thank you to anyone than can help me!
20191007_150958.jpg
20190912_211050.jpg
20190627_221151.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK. She is a point, probably a blue point (point = "siamese-mix") The childs wont be points, unless the dad happens to be a carrier of the point gene. If so, half will be points. Otherwise, none will be it.

Im not entirely sure on colors, but we do have black and red in the fray. You may get tortie female kittens.

Momma has the dilutation gene doubled up, as blue is diluted black, daddy may have, but we dont know... The hereditary is recessive, so essentially the same as for points and hair lengh... So either will half of them be diluted (blue / creme), or none will be (black / red).

Both parents have bushy tails, so All kittens will be more or less bushy. Count on so called mediumhaired as parents are, but genetically its longhair.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Tabby??

All red are tabbys, so Im not sure if daddy is a true tabby although red - if so, at least half will be tabbies,
His tabby markings are rather clear, so a money bet is he is a tabby for real...
(him being mediumhaired makes the stripes on the body arent as visible as if he were shorthair).

or if he is just red.... If so, none will be tabbies (but the red ones will have some tabby stripes, of course).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'm not sure if he is a real tabby either, but I do know what his parents look like. His mom is a tortoiseshell bobtail, sort of fluffy, but not long haired. And his dad is a solid blue(I'm guessing that's what the color would be called).

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, if none of his parents is / was tabby, so he isnt no true tabby either. Because tabby is dominant, if the gene is there it will manifest. So, none of the kittens here should be tabby. But the reds will have such stripes visible as daddy has.

(ps. The tabby issue is way more complicated than my pedagogical simplification, but in practice my pedagogical simplification works well enough)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
ps. Looking on ma, she seems to have a fur collar. Had you cut down her fur on her body during the summer?

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, when we first got her a few months ago she was wearing a collar and the hair on her neck was almost gone. Other than removing that, we havent done anything to her since we've had her. And her fur is soft, but it's nothing like our other cats. They are very plush feeling. Her hair just lays all the way down, if that makes sense.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, the female appears to be a blue point longhair.

The male is red tabby, but if his parents are indeed a tortoiseshell female and a blue male, I agree he would be genetically a solid cat, and he would carry dilute (blue). I am not sure if the male is a longhair or shorthair since his tail is so short, but I think he looks more shorthaired.

So, you could definitely see the following colors:
  • Solid black or solid blue males.
  • Tortoiseshell or dilute tortie (blue-cream) females.
And if the male also happens to carry colorpoint, you could get
  • Seal point or blue point males.
  • Seal tortie point or blue tortie point females.
Pointed kittens would be born white and gradually darken as they grow. If you see any white kittens you can expect that they are actually pointed in color.

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! Since he looks short hair, will any of the kittens be long hair?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If the father is a shorthair and NOT carrying the recessive longhair gene, all kittens would be shorthaired (carrying longhair).
If the father is shorthair carrying the longhair gene, each kitten has a 50% chance of being longhaired.
If the father is longhaired, all the kittens will be longhaired.

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
20191029_074721.jpg
20191029_075117.jpg

I just wanted to post some pictures of my girl being affectionate this morning. She usually keeps her distance, but she wants all the love this morning lol

Brittani723

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband said the same thing! I think she still has about 2 weeks left, but I'm so anxious it feels more like a lifetime lol. But it was definitely weird how affectionate she was being.