What color/pattern would this kitten be considered?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a kitten from the local farm feed store (stray cat came in pregnant and they were giving away the kittens), I know I shouldn't have but here we are, lol. Her name is Misty, and although she is beautiful but I can't seem to decide on what coat color she is. I'm thinking dilute tortoiseshell tabby? but I'm not sure that's right, maybe calico tabby? I know I likely need to wait and see how her coat comes in but currently the color is just on the tips of the hairs the rest of the fur down to the root is white.

20220321_204836[1].jpg
20220321_160401.jpg 20220321_160412.jpg
20220323_124533.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is prob shorthair, but has very much kitten fuzziness as yet. It makes it more difficult to pinpoint.

First; she is tortie, she is tabby, she is diluted; that is why she is gray / bluish. She carries also some white. Im not sure of which tabby pattern. Probably mackerel.

So, diluted tortie mackerel tabby with white.

Breed is almost surely domestic (shorthair?).

Question is, if she is also shaded.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is prob shorthair, but has very much kitten fuzziness as yet. It makes it more difficult to pinpoint.

First; she is tortie, she is tabby, she is diluted; that is why she is gray / bluish. She carries also some white. Im not sure of which tabby pattern. Probably mackerel.

So, diluted tortie mackerel tabby with white.

Breed is almost surely domestic (shorthair?).

Question is, if she is also shaded.
Ok, I wasn't sure since she has so much white if that would still be considered tortie or not. I'm thinking maybe medium hair (so technically long hair) but we'll see, the pics except for the one in the sun make her look less fluffy then in real life. She is way more fluffy then the litter of short hairs I raised, and looks more like some of the long hairs I have, she is only 6 weeks (I didn't know she was so young until the day after I brought her home when I asked the lady for her birthday). Also yes I know she is definitely not any specific breed the mother is a short haired black cat stray, the father is unknown but she was the only one that looked like that in the litter the rest were brown tabbies and a couple looked short haired (so many more then one father for the litter?).

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ok, I wasn't sure since she has so much white if that would still be considered tortie or not. I'm thinking maybe medium hair (so technically long hair) but we'll see, the pics except for the one in the sun make her look less fluffy then in real life. She is way more fluffy then the litter of short hairs I raised, and looks more like some of the long hairs I have, she is only 6 weeks (I didn't know she was so young until the day after I brought her home when I asked the lady for her birthday). Also yes I know she is definitely not any specific breed the mother is a short haired black cat stray, the father is unknown but she was the only one that looked like that in the litter the rest were brown tabbies and a couple looked short haired (so many more then one father for the litter?).
Its fully possible two shorthaied parents gets ONE longhaired kitten (statistically 1 of 4). If both are carriers of the recessive longhaired gene.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She would be a silver torbie mackeral longhair. For sure a longhair given the length of fur on the ears and before the ears as well as thick tail. The dad would have had to be silver ginger to get this colouring. What were the siblings, gender and colouring? Both parents could be shorthairs with longhair genes.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She would be a silver torbie mackeral longhair. For sure a longhair given the length of fur on the ears and before the ears as well as thick tail. The dad would have had to be silver ginger to get this colouring. What were the siblings, gender and colouring? Both parents could be shorthairs with longhair genes.
The gender of the others I don't know, I never asked or bothered to look. I had no intention of getting a kitten it was very spur of the moment, I saw her and she came right into my arms and settled in and that was it. She decided I was getting her, lol so I didn't really even looked at the others much. I think the color for the others looked like grayish brown or possibly silver tabbies though, they were in a dimly lit farm feed store and they were in a wood box/cage thing with no lighting so it was hard to tell. All I know for the parents is the mother is short haired and black.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not the best pic but this is a close up of what her fur looks like.
20220323_214155.jpg