What color/markings are we?

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I took in another rescue mama and her babies. At first glance I thought we had a calico, a ginger, and the rest black and white. But looking in the daylight there are very noticeable tabby markings on two of the b&w ones. I've seen ghost stripes before, but these are more defined. Can anyone give me some insight as to their color and markings?

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the 2nd photo it looks like some white hairs interspersed there? could be fever coat?
Otherwise I think they do look like black and white kittens. Ghost tabby markings can vary , some show more. The kitten with more black is black & white bicolor. . Kitten with more white is black & white with a van pattern.

Thanks for taking care of these babies and their mama!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I thought they were black and white but the stripes on the second photo, and also the third the tail is ringed.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
sometimes kittens can go through surprising changes . another possibility is black smoke and white. Shorthair smoke kittens may show more ghost tabby marks. and the one kitten does look like lighter grey around the eyes which is a smoke thing. If smokes they start getting white undercoat at a couple weeks then may go through some crazy changes on the way to adulthood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

clynn11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I'll keep posting update pictures in here. I don't think it's a fever coat but I could definitely be wrong. Thanks so much for your input!

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heh, two sets of smoke cats in a week! What would be the odds?

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I guess you'll know when they get older, huh?

They look round and healthy to me, and their fur is neatly groomed. I guess she is a good mama! Take good care of mama and babies, and show us plenty of pictures!