What color kittens could this cat have?

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Feel free to move this. I wasn't sure where would be the most appropriate to post. aI am fostering a pregnant kitty. She's a pretty girl. She should be due any day. Her milk is in and the kittens are moving around like crazy. This isn't my first rodeo so I'm not stressing but am trying to pass the time and am wondering what colors she could produce. Or what colors she couldn't produce. Obviously I have no idea what the dad or dads look like but based off her color and assuming the dad could be any color what colors could she have? I had a white momma who had 3 pure white kittens and two white with caps. My friend had a black momma who had a few white kittens and a grey one. Two had bi-eyes. Genetics are fun. Here is a pic of momma

Last edited by a moderator:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her male kittens will look like her. Maybe less white if the daddy has less white, maybe one will be solid black/gray with white instead of tabby, maybe one will be dilute and be a blue tabby instead of a brown tabby. But basically, dark kitty with white :D.

For the girls, if the daddy is red they'll be tortie/torbie/calico. If he's also dark, they'll look like the boys.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Her male kittens will look like her. Maybe less white if the daddy has less white, maybe one will be solid black/gray with white instead of tabby, maybe one will be dilute and be a blue tabby instead of a brown tabby. But basically, dark kitty with white :D.

For the girls, if the daddy is red they'll be tortie/torbie/calico. If he's also dark, they'll look like the boys.

She's got some red in her which the makes can't have, correct? Think they'll come out as brown tabbies with white?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, patternwise they will tend to be tabby and white, as both these are dominant.   As she is carrying red too,  girls will tend to be torbies with white / patched tabby (the exact color of tabby I dont dare to say too  much about - probably black or grey), and boys perhaps red and white...

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
 I had a white momma who had 3 pure white kittens and two white with caps. My friend had a black momma who had a few white kittens and a grey one. Two had bi-eyes. Genetics are fun. Here is a pic of momma
The whole-body white gene is strong, and may even cover other colors under.  That is why its easily done the produced kittens are all white, or almost all white.

Were there other non white kittens too?

Your friends - the daddy must have been the one with white  gene as momma apparently didnt had it -   Grey didnt got this gene though, it got the black from momma, and also got the dilute gene from someone of them.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, patternwise they will tend to be tabby and white, as both these are dominant.   As she is carrying red too,  girls will tend to be torbies with white / patched tabby (the exact color of tabby I dont dare to say too  much about - probably black or grey), and boys perhaps red and white...
Thank you! I just got her 2 days ago and am excited for the babies to arrive:D
My other litter is all black. I just adore black cats and kittens. They're 11 weeks and leaving next week and momma can move into the official foster room then. She's very sweet

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The whole-body white gene is strong, and may even cover other colors under.  That is why its easily done the produced kittens are all white, or almost all white.
Were there other non white kittens too?

Your friends - the daddy must have been the one with white  gene as momma apparently didnt had it -   Grey didnt got this gene though, it got the black from momma, and also got the dilute gene from someone of them.
Out of the 5 kittens born 3 were pure white and 2 had black on their heads. One had two small dots and the other had a big blob. The one with the two small dots didn't make it. The one with the black blob now only has a very faded smudge. The vet even asked if he was dirty because it looks so faint. He's over a year old now. The adopters keep in touch:). He also has a different coat than his siblings. His was more rough and shorter and theirs were very soft. One had blue eyes and was deaf. He also had a kink in his tail.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure she carries the red gene. That may just be rufousing of the brown color. But if she's carrying the red gene some of her boys will be red, and if the daddy is red some of the girls will be too. So if she gets any kittens who are just red, then you know she's a torbie! But I don't think that's true red.

fostersrule

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to post what color her kittens ended up being:) she has 1 male and 4 females. The male is a black and white tux. She also had a classic tabby, 2 mackerel tabby tuxes, and a mackerel tabby with white legs but no face marking.

Last edited by a moderator:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Interesting.  Its roughly as expected, but I admit I thought they would have more white, as momma has quite a some.  While they are well behaving tuxedos every one, with the exception of the one with just socks.

The other surprise, is there are no reds!  Tortie moms tend to have at least one tortie dau...   We know numerous examples where the supposed dad was just a theoretical one, while in practice it was someone else.

Here it seems to be the momma whom is somewhat odd -  you got wrong momma with you from the  Brirth clinic, @fostersrule   !   :)

One of the kittens being classical tabby while the others are striped, is nothing especial - it may come from daddy, but it may also come from momma.

Striped is dominant over classic tabby, so if momma happens to carry both, she will show off the striped.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
@Willowy   wasnt sure if it was real red color, or just strong roufism.   I was too thinking on it, but she is so apparently a tortie, with fields of different coloring on her body - that is why I accepted she should be a tortie after all.

But, if its right mamma, so perhaps we must accept she isnt a true tortie (here torbie), and perhaps the different colored fields are mostly as it seems in the light conditions..