What color is this kitten ?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brown (black-based) classic tabby, also known as blotched tabby. Is it your cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No he's not mine I was just curious . For some reason tabby cat colors confuse me lol .

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's the color . It's hard to tell between grey, blue , brown and silver for me. I'm learning though .
Tabby cats are so pretty.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'll see if I can help. A tabby's color is first of all determined by the color of the stripes:
  • Brown tabby is genetically a black-based tabby (the solid colored version of brown tabby is black), so it is called black tabby by geneticists, as well as breeders in some countries and associations. Brown tabbies have black stripes on a brownish background. The background color can be anywhere from cold grayish beige, to warm orangey russet brown.
  • Blue tabby is the dilute of brown tabby (just as blue is the dilute of black). Blue tabbies have gray stripes on a beige background.
Silver tabbies are the result of the inhibitor gene combined with tabby. This changes the color of the background and undercoat. The inhibitor gene suppresses the warm colored pigment and makes the base of each hair white.
  • Silver tabby is more precisely known as black silver tabby. Silver tabbies have black stripes on a white or nearly white background, and a white or nearly white undercoat. This is the result of the inhibitor gene combined with brown (black-based) tabby.
  • Blue silver tabby is also possible. Blue silver tabbies have gray stripes on a white or nearly white background. It is the result of the inhibitor gene combined with blue tabby.
We generally don't use the term "gray tabby" because this can be confusing. Some people use the term "gray tabby" to refer to a brown (black-based) tabby that has a grayish background color, but other people use the term "gray tabby" to refer to a blue tabby.

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thank you . This helps me .

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would describe that pattern as broken mackerel.

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay . Is it a brown or silver tabby ?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It appears to be brown (black-based) tabby, with a grayish beige background color. Silver tabby (that is, black silver tabby) would look more like this:

DSC_0858.JPG

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok that's what I was thinking but get confused as they both have black stripes lol I'm learning though . Thank you .

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they both have black stripes / spots, the difference is just in the background color and undercoat :)

jennyhamblin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay those black stripes get me lol
I'm getting it though. A silver is like a white cat with black stripes and a brown tabby is brown with black stripes .