What Color Is My Kitten?

Mmabryxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can someone tell me what color my kitten is? Her ears are black and feet are also and tail and face but she gray on body!

And will she be long haired or short she is a polydactyl!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh wow, what a beautiful, awesome cat!!
I'd guess that fur length might be it for her, but I of course don't know for certain.
I don't know about the color with those darker points....

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the most likely answer is a fever coat. This page Chronicles a fever coat in another kitten, Fever Coat: What is it?. Basically, it's when the mom cat has a fever and it impacts the pigment depositing in the babies fur. As they grow and their kitten coat sheds they will grow in fully pigmented fur. She most likely will be solid black by 9 months old.

There is a chance is a black smokek but with how dark she is on her legs and head compared to body I think it is less likely.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll be pure black when her fur grows out. That's called a fever coat and it can happen if the mama cat was sick or the kitten had a fever at an early age. Enjoy it while it lasts! It's definitely cool looking.

I think she'll be shorthaired but a plush shorthair not sleek.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mmabryxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will do in the light she has some stripes on her so it’s kind weird! And her legs are black but have that gray color like mixed in it!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's a tuxedo, called that because it looks like he's wearing one. He's just as cute as she is.

All black cats have some striping in bright light, like sunlight. I can see the M on her forehead, very typical. Here's picture of Mingo in the sun.

Mingo in Sun 2.JPG

Mmabryxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he's a tuxedo, called that because it looks like he's wearing one. He's just as cute as she is.

All black cats have some striping in bright light, like sunlight. I can see the M on her forehead, very typical. Here's picture of Mingo in the sun.

View attachment 265887
It’s just weird how can one kitten be fever coat and not the other two? She has gray on her legs just doesn’t show much.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Khloe is 12 weeks turning 13 on 7th! Her coat has changed a lot can anyone tell me what those colors mean on her undercoat?
It does look similar to fever coat are her roots light or getting darker? I have a 3 week old smoke kitten (I think) she has no grey on top like yours but silver on her face and belly.

Mmabryxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not know at all. All I know is her mother was a polydactyl. Women was quite weird. And when I got her she told me she was 7 weeks would be 8 next day. Come find out from my vet she was 5 weeks. She very tiny.all I know is she has these long hairs on her back that have white tips.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do not know at all. All I know is her mother was a polydactyl. Women was quite weird. And when I got her she told me she was 7 weeks would be 8 next day. Come find out from my vet she was 5 weeks. She very tiny.all I know is she has these long hairs on her back that have white tips.
If the face tail and legs are darker I would say it's fever coat it doesn't always effect all the litter so that's why her brothers do not have it. Unfortunately some people sell kittens with fever coat as some rare colour and with a higher price tag.

Mmabryxo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her free! I think lady just wanted get rid of her. I don’t care what she is. As long as she happy and healthy.

Jayne89

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got her free! I think lady just wanted get rid of her. I don’t care what she is. As long as she happy and healthy.
She is very lucky you resuced her and she looks like a lovely girl I love black cats! This is one of mine out of a litter of 3.