What Coat Pattern Do My 2 Dsh Cats Have? Lots Of Pics!

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obviously, both my cats are GORGEOUS, but I would assume neither of my cats are any specific breed other than domestic short hair. I'd still love to know the proper terminology for their coloring. I'm very uneducated about cat breeds, so I suppose they could look like or have influence from a specific breed. They're both rescues from the neighborhood in which I live. I have heard different people describing their coloration in different terms, so I'm curious as to what the TCS pros would call them.

I know Lucy is a tortoiseshell, but I don't know what kind. She's got a lot of the light orange color, almost her entire undercoat (or what her coat looks like when parted,) is "peanut butter" colored. Does this make her a dilute? She also has a lot of bright orange spots, and stripes, and black patches. No grey. Also, do the spotted / stripe pattern make her a "torbie?" She has some hairs that aren't the same color all the way down, and others that are.

Same question for Mog: which of the many piebald black and white patterns would you define him as? Would you say "tuxedo," "mask and mantle," or just "bicolor" if you were trying to Be specific? He has a bit of a mask / cap, but it isn't symmetrical. He also has a black "cape" on his back, with two tiny white spots close to the tail, and one black spot near the neck. Black tail, and black left hind leg, but all white tummy and feet. Adorable black spot on his chest.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Lucy and Mog are both beautiful. :catlove: Unfortunately, I can't help with the breed type they may have in their genes. Hopefully some other members will pop in and advise.

Meanwhile, here's a site article that may have some interesting facts for you: What Breed Is My Cat?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lucy is a perfectly normal tortoiseshell :D. Not dilute or a torbie or anything. She has glorious ears!

I'm not at all sure what to call Mog, lol. He doesn't quite have the tuxedo pattern, but he has more than the Van pattern. Maybe mask & mantle, with a little extra down his legs. Can't go wrong with just saying bicolor though.