What Coat Colour Would This Be Called?

MillieKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I can't provide pics right now (I will try later), but a friend's cat has interesting fur. It's normal brown spotted-looking at the tips of the roots (or sometimes copper/a whitish colour with brown underneath), then this fades to cream at the bottoms. In the sun this makes my friend's cat look very strange. What colour is this?

gitabooks

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sounds beautiful! I'm having trouble picturing it though, so a photo would help.

I believe a dark tip and a light base is called Smoke (depending on the amount it can also be called tipped or shaded). Banded hair (where the two colors alternate) is called agouti.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MillieKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, I see. I'm going over to their place this afternoon so maybe I can take pics then.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MillieKit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

It sort of looks tortie here or something but his fur is brown tabby for sure. This is the fur on his back where it's copper tipped and the rest is slightly white tipped but mostly brown with cream at the roots (it makes him look frosted).

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's normal ticking. Tabby cats have ticked hairs in the areas between their stripes or spots.