What "cattributes" Make You Love Cats?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Someone recently asked me for a list of positive attributes make me enjoy cats. I'll call them “cattributes”. I've owned a cat (or cats) for over 50 years, and I cannot imagine my life without a cat or three (and a dog or two). I'm an animal lover. You'd think I'd be the perfect person to ask, but I found myself speechless. Asking what I love about cats might as well be the same as asking why I enjoy breathing.

Sure, I could fill pages with things like “Cats are fuzzy and cute. They make good lap warmers. When they're aloof, it makes us crave their attention, and when they come cuddle up, it makes us feel grateful. They do funny things like trying to squeeze into a box half their size, so they make me laugh. When they knock something off the counter or jump into the middle of the chicken I just baked, they're too adorable to get mad at. Etc. etc. etc.”

But what is it really that makes me love cats? It's not really a specific list of “cattributes”, but a feeling of being needed by a mysterious little creature. It's the companionship. It's the opportunity to bring out my nurturing and caring side. It's about sharing. It's about discovering truly unconditional love.

So I'll pose the question to the forum: What do you love about your cat(s), either specific “cattributes” or any other positives that make you love them?

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
orange&white orange&white - I quite nearly posted a picture of George Gorden's monument at Newstead Abbey and would have let it go at that, but reconsidered it as being too cryptic.

Nonetheless, the word, "nobility," is the first thing which springs to mind - for cats, dogs, and for all of our animal companions. They Love as no Human ever can - unbiasedly, wholeheartedly, and unabashedly.

On the monument above, Byron caused these words to be inscribed over the remains of his beloved Newfoundland dog, whom he nursed through to the bitter end, when Boatswain died in his arms, of Rabies:

"Near this Spot
Are deposited the Remains of one
Who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
And all the virtues of Man without his Vices.

This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery
If inscribed over human Ashes,
Is but a just tribute to the Memory of
Boatswain, a Dog,
Who was born in Newfoundland May, 1803,
And died at Newstead, November 18th, 1808."​

The preamble is followed by two sonnets describing Mankind in rather less than glowing terms, with the second intentionally lacking its heroic coupled, and ending:

"Ye, who behold perchance this simple urn,
Pass on – it honours none you wish to mourn.
To mark a friend’s remains these stones arise;
I never knew but one - and here he lies."​

"Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity." If Humans could learn these traits, we would be far, far better off. I can take people or leave them frankly, but I don't believe that I could truly Live without my cats. Byron claimed to have had a single Friend - Boatswain. I have eleven - and this is what being Blessed is all about.

elevennamed.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You said it perfectly: "Asking what I love about cats might as well be the same as asking why I enjoy breathing."
They give you a reason to keep breathing, a reason to get up in the morning. Someone to take care of and get you out of thinking about yourself and your problems. Unconditional love. They love you no matter how poor you are or what you look like. And you love them no matter what they do wrong and will never abandon them. They are funny, laughter is the best medicine. They are unique and quirky, and they will give you stories and memories to last a lifetime. When this old world tosses you around and breaks your spirit, cats wake your heart up and bring you back to your true self. :redheartpump::redheartpump::redheartpump:

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love how cats can have an attitude of not caring but at the same time can be really loving to their humans! I love how they do weird things too :biggrin: I like that they're independent but will come and cuddle with you when they want to - particularly convenient for someone like me who has a busy lifestyle.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get lost in their eyes

There is something in the eyes that has always drawn me in. The thing of it is, cats seem drawn to me too. If I am one of 25 people in a room with a cat, that cat will almost always come over to sit near me.

I have always been curious to know the what and how of cats thinking. Having a technical background and being curious, I have extensively researched what is known regarding feline cognitive ability. Beyond a lot of technical data points remains one impressive fact: cats are solitary mid to top level predators. There is an immense gap between a solitary predator's cognitive function and our human cognition. That cats can live with and bond with humans is both odd and unlikely. And the cats bridge more of that gap than we do: they are highly adaptive.

I look into Makena's eyes in the pics above, and I wonder: what does he see? I understand that he is a highly intelligent creature....what does he make of this world he lives in?

When our June Bug was a kitten, weeks before her eyes had developed the ability to fully focus, she would seek direct eye contact with us, I have always wondered why.

Dogs are pack animals - they are programed to initiate social interaction. Cats are solitary - social interaction is their choice. When I come home after being away, I feel honored that these aloof creatures stop what they are doing to come see me. When I am working on the computer I am grateful for the company of a cat.

Having had cats all my life, they remain a familiar yet mysterious presence. I am drawn to their sheer beauty, amazing athletic ability, intelligence and always by their intense eyes