What categories and/or shows are non- pedigreed cats shown in, and/or what qualities do judges assess cats on?

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never been a cat show or shown a cat but I've been looking around the internet researching breeds, color and coat patterning to see what (if any) breed my newly adopted kittens are. They are both gorgeous I think, but one sister in particular has a rare and fascinating look to her! I've been looking online quite a bit and I've only found TWO other cats that have a similar patterning and color on the whole internet! Neither of the sisters has a pedigree but I've read else where you can still show. What happens with that?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you are geographically/the specific show, as that affects the standard they’re assessed by, based on the registry. The two most common ones internationally are TICA and CFA. Here are the TICA details, and here are the CFA ones. Keep in mind, though, that cat shows aren’t what you’re imagining them to be, quite possibly. They can be expensive (as grooming and registration fees can add up), require a lot of work, including exposing the kitten you want to show to anything and everything, so they’re not fearful in the ring. Not every cat will end up with a show cat temperament, and that’s something to keep in mind.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non-pedigreed cats are shown in the "Household Pet" or "House Cat" class. Showing cats can be fun!

Here's a link to another post with some videos of cats being shown in the household pet class, so that you can see what the judging process is like for these cats:

Quite a few members on this site have experience with showing cats. Where are you located (country, region)? If you let us know where you are located, we can give you better information about the associations in your area, and help you find shows. There aren't as many cat shows happening right now due to COVID restrictions (many areas still can't have indoor events), but it depends on the area... some areas are starting to have shows again.

Some associations are also putting on virtual shows at this time. These virtual shows started due to COVID, but it's possible that virtual shows will continue even when physical shows become widely possible again. Cat associations don't give out official titles or awards based on virtual shows, but they can be fun, too. Here are some virtual shows that you can enter right now with photographs or videos of your cats:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your reply/ the resources! I'm in New York City, on the northernmost point of Manhattan if that matters in terms of regions. I'm from the Hudson Valley so I'm kind of up and down the River as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aglaya Felipe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It depends on where you are geographically/the specific show, as that affects the standard they’re assessed by, based on the registry. The two most common ones internationally are TICA and CFA. Here are the TICA details, and here are the CFA ones. Keep in mind, though, that cat shows aren’t what you’re imagining them to be, quite possibly. They can be expensive (as grooming and registration fees can add up), require a lot of work, including exposing the kitten you want to show to anything and everything, so they’re not fearful in the ring. Not every cat will end up with a show cat temperament, and that’s something to keep in mind.
Yes, they are still pretty young- naturally outgoing in different ways. Phoebe is very interested in her reflection as well as videos of cats, she always seems a little disappointed to discover there is not in fact another cat. And she takes to people inmediately. Aglaya on the other hand is a bit more shy but she follows me everywhere and has taken better to going outside on her leash so far- I'm there so she's knows she's safe even though it's an unfamiliar situation. They're 6 months now so I'm not sure how that lines up with the the best time to start training them to potentially show. But they're pretty well bonded after just a month. Still working on getting them to consistently come when called. But I'm leash and carrier training them right and it's been slow but easy so far.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The TICA show calendar is here:
In March and April, there are shows coming up in VA and PA. If you are interested in entering a show, I would suggest that you contact the entry clerk for help, tell them you are new to showing, need instructions on how to enter the show and what to do, and would like to be benched near a show mentor. We can also coach you here on what you will need to bring and do.

If your cats are 6 months old, you would enter them in "Household Pet Kitten" class in TICA. They would move to regular "Household Pet" class when they turn 8 months old. This would be an excellent age to start showing them.

Household pets can also be shown in CFA, but there are no available shows near you in the coming few months. CFA has been a little slower to open up for shows compared to TICA at this time. In the future if you are interested in showing in CFA, we can help you with their calendar, too.

I would normally also suggest that you try visiting a show as a spectator, but most shows are not allowing spectators at all right now due to COVID. At this time, shows are benching exhibitors with extra space in the show hall, exhibitors must wear masks and maintain distancing, and the number of people in the show hall is limited.

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
There is information on the CFA web site about showing your HHP. Showing Household Pets – The Cat Fanciers' Association, Inc
The online entry form has a place where you can mark that you're a new exhibitor. The club will do their best to bench you near someone who can help you figure out the routines.

HHPs in CFA must be at least 4 months old, and they must be spayed/neutered by 8 months to enter. Declawed cats are not allowed, even if they were declawed before you got them.

Unfortunately, the only show near you this month is already filled, and I don't see any others planned in the next few months. Normally there are shows in Maryland, New Hampshire, and Pennsylvania in May & June, but clubs are holding off announcing them until they know for sure they can do the show. A lot depends on local conditions and whether the show halls are allowing large gatherings.