What cat food and treats do people in England buy?

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Posting this for any fellow English forum members.

During lockdown and the cat food shortages that happened in the English supermarkets, I signed up to Zooplus to source my pet food supplies. This got me reading the reviews online which in turn made me realise just how bad the Felix cat meat that I have been buying truly is.
As a result I am now in the process of moving my 2 off that junk food and on to better meat. Initially they were reluctant to eat the new meat on its own, but now I feed them a 1:1 mix of junk and new meat. This seems to be working pretty well, both cats are tucking in. My goal is to get them totally off the junk meat and eating just the better meat.

I've just been on to Zooplus to place another order of meat and some treats for them and after looking at the ingredients of the treats that I normally buy I have resolved to never buy them again.

We have a routine where at 16:30 it's "meat sticks and munchies" time and they know it! They sit in their spot and stare at me until I feed them, I want to continue this routine, but with healthier food.
I tried them on freeze dried treats (chicken hearts, beef liver and just chicken) which went down well at first, but when the novelty wore off they weren't interested and stopped eating them.
Moxxi was a total dry food addict up until about July this year when I stopped feeding them any dry food except the few that they get at treat time each day. She has just about gotten over the shock of not having her Iams all the time.
So now I don't know what to do for treats for them. What they have been getting is the Felix goody bags and Felix crunchies, I also won't be giving them Dreamies.
I am in a quandary, do I completely remove all the junk from their diet including the few crunchies at treat time, or do I ignore the horrible ingredients list and let them continue to have this treat?

I also would love to hear what cat meat other people in England buy and where do you buy it from?

I am moving my 2 from Felix pouches and on to tins of Wild freedom and Animonda Carny. I am making every effort to stop buying pouches (and not buy the foil trays either) because it is so wasteful and tins can be recycled, so that is a factor in my decision making, but more importantly are the ingredients in both of these 2 brands and the price.
Does anyone have any other brands for me to look at? I've looked at everything available on Zooplus and those 2 are the only ones that are affordable and quality.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
For wet foods available in UK, the following are decent:

Applaws (Lamb and chicken pate only), Blink! (Chicken with beef, duck, or turkey), Feringa (Pure Chicken and Pure Lamb only), Granatapet Delicatessen and Filet à la Carte, Grau Gourmet, Lily’s Kitchen (Chicken with mussel fillets only, the rest have carrageenan), Little Big Paw (Chicken, duck, or turkey mousse), Meowing Heads ( Chicken and Turkey only), Thrive (Chicken, chicken with chicken liver, chicken with beef).
Fish should be avoided; the few foods listed above that do contain fish should be fed no more than once a week. Foods with just “fish” listed should be avoided. Foods with specific small fish listed, like sardines, are okay in measure.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try these threads:

My kitten doesn't like "posh" expensive wet cat food!
Best Wet Kitten Food: Pouches/ Trays :-)
UK Cat lovers, please advise new mummy
Commercial Wet Kitten Food UK

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Applaws (Lamb and chicken pate only), Blink! (Chicken with beef, duck, or turkey), Feringa (Pure Chicken and Pure Lamb only), Granatapet Delicatessen and Filet à la Carte, Grau Gourmet, Lily’s Kitchen (Chicken with mussel fillets only, the rest have carrageenan), Little Big Paw (Chicken, duck, or turkey mousse), Meowing Heads ( Chicken and Turkey only), Thrive (Chicken, chicken with chicken liver, chicken with beef).
Fish should be avoided; the few foods listed above that do contain fish should be fed no more than once a week. Foods with just “fish” listed should be avoided. Foods with specific small fish listed, like sardines, are okay in measure.
Wow, thank you so much Maurey Maurey , I have previously tried them on some Feringa with limited success, but worth trying them again. I will look into all these others too.
I try to avoid fish as much as possible, and after just nipping off to Google 'carrageenan' I thank you again for this important info. I was not aware of this ingredient to food (both human and cat) until now.

Thank you LTS3 LTS3 for those article links, very helpful.

While looking through availability of cat food on Zooplus I had to laugh when I saw this, poor Rudolph.

Screenshot_2021-12-27-14-19-41-101.jpeg

Last edited:

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thrive freeze dried treats or Cosma from Zooplus. I am in Europe but OH is English and we go back and forth.

GeoDjay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Would you recommend Eden? Their wet foods do contain potatoes and peas, but the overall carb content is low (less than 12% DMB).

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Would you recommend Eden? Their wet foods do contain potatoes and peas, but the overall carb content is low (less than 12% DMB).
That’s still pretty high carb, imo, especially given the price of the food. I’d personally aim for under 10%, ideally under 5%.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice Loki

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to give a quick update.

My Zooplus order is way overdue, like "eek we've run out of food" late. So I went to PetsAtHome on Thursday evening and perused their shelves. I came away with a few (12) pouches of Blink! to try on my 2.

This morning, with just 1 pouch of Blink! left I returned to the shop for more. I think they both thought all their birthdays had come at once when I put this down for them. I can't remember the last time they both licked their plates so clean.
It's not a cheap food and the pouches are only 85g rather than the more usual 100g, but definitely one to be included in their regular food rotation.

I've signed up for a subscription delivery direct from the company, which saves me 10p per pouch on the price at PetsAtHome.

So Yay for the Blink! recommendation.

Happy New Year everyone :party::party3: