What cat breed does my kitten resemble?

LunaCriques

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a new kitten who is now 12 weeks old. People assume she's some kind of pedigree when they see her, so I did a reverse search of her photo and came up with a snow shoe, which I've never even heard of. Her mum has very similar markings but is darker. Her dad was white (she thinks!), 2 siblings were tabby, and 1 was a white/cream tabby. Excuse the big paw, she played with a wasp!
20200902_194508.jpg
20200913_184600.jpg

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
definitely snow shoe. once I saw a ginger tabby snow shoe mix. she had a white belly, and feet with snow shoe feet like your kitten's. Other' mix I'd say domestic short hair. (Tabby with the tail) and well she has spots so...idk

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaCriques

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're in France, and the vet put european seal point on her passport?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Momma is darker, because being older, she darkens up. All points do, especielly the seal. So your boy will to get darker soon enough.
Was she visibly a tabby too? If not, the daddy must have been a tabby, I was going to write, the white was probably not the daddy. BUT he could be. White is verry dominant, and may cover all other patterns and colors...
He is also a carrier of the pointed gene.
The creme and tabby sibling my guess its a lynx point. Are the eyes blue?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such a pretty cat!

Your cat appears to be either a blue point and white, or seal point and white domestic shorthair. The faint stripes on the tail are ghost markings. I think the point color looks most like blue point in these pictures, since the points appear gray rather than brown. However, it's not always easy to tell point color from pictures of a young kitten. Your kitten's markings will darken over time, and you will be able to tell if it is a blue point (gray point color) or seal point (blackish brown point color).

Most cats are not any particular breed. Vets do not have any special training in identifying cat breeds or colors. The European Shorthair is a pedigreed breed that doesn't come in the pointed colors... but by "European" your vet might have just meant "non pedigreed house cat" (domestic shorthair).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LunaCriques

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her ears and tail are definitely more grey than brown, and her eyes are blue/grey. This is her mum at 3 months, and also now.
Screenshot_20200919-181925_Messenger.jpg
Screenshot_20200919-181937_Messenger.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see the tabby and creme is a torbie, not point.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom would be a seal point domestic short hair (I do hope she gets her fixed). For a litter to have colorpoints both parents have to have colorpoint gene. White cats are hard as they have a masked coloring, so it would only work if his masked coloring was a ginger tabby carrying colorpoint gene. If not, then the dad must have been a ginger tabby.