What can I try next?

bshcatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been debating about going raw for a really long time now, so when I was at the farmers' market today and saw some chicken hearts for sale, I decided to give it a try. Angus (6 month old, 7 lbs, BSH) took to it really well and he absolutely loved his chicken hearts, but my other cat (7 year old, 12 lbs, BSH) was less convinced.

I am currently feeding Bozita wet food, and am interested in adding a bit of raw to their diet. I don't think I am ready to fully switch to raw just yet, but I would like to add it as an adjunct to their diet. So, my question is, what can I try next?

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BSHcatLover

I have been debating about going raw for a really long time now, so when I was at the farmers' market today and saw some chicken hearts for sale, I decided to give it a try. Angus (6 month old, 7 lbs, BSH) took to it really well and he absolutely loved his chicken hearts, but my other cat (7 year old, 12 lbs, BSH) was less convinced.

I am currently feeding Bozita wet food, and am interested in adding a bit of raw to their diet. I don't think I am ready to fully switch to raw just yet, but I would like to add it as an adjunct to their diet. So, my question is, what can I try next?
Pretty much any kind of fresh, raw, non-enhanced (marinades, salt, etc.) meat can be fed.

The following threads and sites will give you a thorough picture of raw feeding methodologies:

TCS thread Natural Diet Information Resources for high-level raw feeding guidelines.

CatCentric.org's A Frankenprey / Whole Prey Feeding Guide for detailed frankenprey feeding information.

Dr. Pierson's CatInfo.org Making Cat Food for detailed ground raw feeding information.

Feline-Nutrition.org also has several articles that explore this topic.

Best regards!

AC

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have access to goat milk, you can always give them some goat milk. Nourishing and much easier accessible for sensibel stomach than cow milk.

If you dont have problems with salomonella on eggs in your country, raw egg yolk is excellent.

Do have this yolk in mince meat (cow safest, pigs not safe), or together with this goat milk, or almost anything...
Observe raw egg white isnt good for cats.

Goat milk and raw yolk can be used almost in every diet, not just Barf.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

If you have access to goat milk, you can always give them some goat milk. Nourishing and much easier accessible for sensibel stomach than cow milk.

If you dont have problems with salomonella on eggs in your country, raw egg yolk is excellent.

Do have this yolk in mince meat (cow safest, pigs not safe), or together with this goat milk, or almost anything...
Observe raw egg white isnt good for cats.

Goat milk and raw yolk can be used almost in every diet, not just Barf.
Unless I've gone crazy, I'm positive you should Not give milk of any kind to your cat..

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

Unless I've gone crazy, I'm positive you should Not give milk of any kind to your cat..
It's a commonly held misconception that all cats are lactose intolerant. As with humans some are and some aren't. Also, again as with humans, even some lactose intolerant cats tolerate goat's milk well.

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

It's a commonly held misconception that all cats are lactose intolerant. As with humans some are and some aren't. Also, again as with humans, even some lactose intolerant cats tolerate goat's milk well.
That doesn't mean that the need it, that's its good for them or that you should give it.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Minka

That doesn't mean that the need it, that's its good for them or that you should give it.
There is no rational reason to be concerned about giving milk to a cat as long as it doesn't cause them digestive upset.