What can i feed wildbird? Parakeet seeds?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What’s the squirrel trying to eat the hawk?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As someone who worked previously with wild life, I applaud you! Crows are extremely intelligent! They can recognize you over others! A study was done on that very topic. They can learn to mimic noises including human speech. They even have sort of funerals for lost members. They cover them with blades of grass, small twigs, flowers and any bauble that appeals to them. There is a delightful story online of a little girl who began caring for a flock near her home. The birds began bringing little trinkets and leaving them where the little girl fed them. The food they actually require depends on the type of crow but don’t give them dairy foods. Some actually live near the coast and one food source is fish. You can look up the food needs online. Wild bird seed is a good source. They’ll choose the seeds they prefer. One crow we rescued could not be released so Henry was taken to a wild bird refuge in another state. We really missed him! The first year he gained strength in his injured wing. The second Spring he went missing. He turned up back at the place we raised him! Also turned out to be a she. Lol Henrietta returned with a mate and babies. The mate would fly near but she taught her babies that certain people ( the ones who worked directly with her) could be trusted and they came very near to observe us. You have made friends for life. They and their young will learn you can be trusted. Thank you for caring about them! I only work with kitties now, but we have many birds here near the swamp. I’ll try to get you some photos! I did rescue a delightful little skink recently though! Lol Cutest little tongue as it drank water! I do have photos of a Hawk that lives here if you care to see that. The Audubon Society has a great site where you can see and hear birds of all kinds if you are interested.

Furballsmom Furballsmom might have some bird photos! If she does, maybe she can touch base here.
I love crows. They are incredibly intelligent. I worked at an office once and we had a crow that came by all the time. We called him (assuming it was a he) The Baby. We loved him so much. He only had one leg and more personality than any one bird should be allowed to have. I have no idea what happened to the other leg but there was no stump. Birth defect maybe? He got fed whenever he came by. Someone used to go to McD's and get him a breakfast sandwich every day. He really loved that. I swear he got to be the size of a small chicken. I have no idea how that one leg held him up. :lol:

We found out that he was going to many offices looking for food and got it. We'd run into people from neighboring buildings and they would tell us that yes, they fed him too. This was about 18 years ago. I still miss that little guy (or girl).

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What’s the squirrel trying to eat the hawk?
I'm not actually sure what that little squirrelly goofball was doing - being territorial, being a snarky smarty-pants, being fairly dumb and foolish...I have no idea, but it finally decided to leave well enough, and the hawk, alone, and moved back down the tree LOL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We found out that he was going to many offices looking for food and got it.
What a little *****. I see shes been around the blocks lol. They are super duper smart for sure.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a little *****. I see shes been around the blocks lol. They are super duper smart for sure.
They sure are and this one really played up the, "Oh. I only have one leg. I can't feed myself. HELP ME" thing.

That bird ate like a king and really was the biggest crow I've ever seen. other crows figured out that they should hang around with him because of the buffets he got served every day. People would see him hopping around, say, "Oh look at that poor bird. I'd better give him part of my sandwich." While he's like, "Yes. Yes you should." Every time I see a crow I think of him. Not only are they highly intelligent, I think that they are really beautiful too. I love crows.