What can i feed wildbird? Parakeet seeds?

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Every time i go to the Walmart/Target/shopping strips in my area i usually toss them a handful of crushed dry cat food. I always have a bag in my car for feeding the feral cats so that’s two in one task. It gets a bit messy sometimes though. Can i just feed the birds , mostly crows and sparrows i think, with parakeets seeds?
Last night i went to dinner at a local restaurant and i swear there mustve been a millions crows everywhere. Thanks!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Crows like anything. If you have human food leftovers, they'd enjoy those. Other than that, cat food is probably the best thing for them, since they're made to eat carrion and cat food has meat in it.

For the smaller birds, there are bags of wild bird seed available to buy that are usually cheaper than pet parakeet food. At Walmart the wild bird sectiob is usally close to the pet section, or the outdoor (camping/patio/etc.) area.

But if you just happen to have a source for cheap parakeet food, sure, that's fine.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are mixes at the grocery store that are better. Only the small birds like those parakeet seeds. The mixes will have cracked corn and sunflower see in them which the larger birds like. I have a pair of cardinals that come to my feeder.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If im not mistaken the wild bird seed youre referring to re too big for sparrows?
As for the cardinals i’d love to see those. We have city slickers (crows) only :)

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, it's not too big for sparrows. I get lots of them, and juncos and chickadees, too. There are at least two kinds of small seeds in the mix - one that looks like parakeet seed and another I can't identify. The cardinals will come if you put out sunflower seed.

I also use a fruit and nut mix, and every year I have a bluejay that comes to check it out. It doesn't come back - not to its liking, I guess - but it's a very beautiful (and large) bird and I'm happy to get a close-up view of it.

There are two kinds of seeds that the birds don't like - thistle and safflower. The thistles are marketed as being loved by the smaller birds, but I've yet to see it. I avoid these seeds now.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Would love to see the picture of bj if you have it.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cool. I just havent seen one in person. Kinda curious thats all. Thanks.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I get a songbird mixture from Walmart. I have cardinals, titmice, bluejays, mourning doves, crows, woodpeckers, and many of the 'winter' birds (sparrows, finches) that all love it. I do use birdfeeders though in my backyard. For crows in a parking lot, you could feed them stale bread and they would love that just as much. I'll see if I can get a pic of one of our bluejays in the near future - no guarantees though as I usually see them at the bird feeders from my screened in patio - hard to get a pic through a screen!!

1578342942097.png

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
9A3E0189-F801-42E3-BA5E-3F7D2340F9EB.png
Bought this 5lb container for about $7 at WM.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can get a 20-pound bag of wild bird food for that much :). That's why I said it's a lot cheaper. Since wild bird food doesn't have to be formulated for caged pets, it's just seeds, so it doesn't cost as much for the company to produce.

But if you keep that container after it's empty, it'll be very convenient for transporting the wild bird food to the feeding location.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ditto W Willowy !
View attachment 316408Bought this 5lb container for about $7 at WM.
Even the bird food I displayed above costs about $1 a lb. So, less than what you paid. And, if all you are doing is feeding crows in a parking lot, I am telling you - stale bread crumbs and the like will make them just as happy. That is, unless you want to spoil them!!

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sweet!! I’ll finish what i got and keep the container for transporting the food.

I’ll alternate bread crums and the seed. I do like to spoil them. A ginormous flock of crows is a sight ti behold. Just dont know why some people hate them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The sparrows will love that kind, but the crows might have trouble with such tiny seeds. I found this article about how to make friends with crows, and it says their favorite foods are peanuts in the shell, boiled eggs, cat or dog food, and table scraps: How to Make Friends With Crows

You're a good friend to the birds!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do like to spoil them. A ginormous flock of crows is a sight ti behold. Just dont know why some people hate them.
People hate them because the flocks make a lot of noise. My son used to live near a park where hundreds of crows roosted. They made a lot of spooky noises - "caw, caw, caw." It was terrible. But bird flu got rid of them all.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As someone who worked previously with wild life, I applaud you! Crows are extremely intelligent! They can recognize you over others! A study was done on that very topic. They can learn to mimic noises including human speech. They even have sort of funerals for lost members. They cover them with blades of grass, small twigs, flowers and any bauble that appeals to them. There is a delightful story online of a little girl who began caring for a flock near her home. The birds began bringing little trinkets and leaving them where the little girl fed them. The food they actually require depends on the type of crow but don’t give them dairy foods. Some actually live near the coast and one food source is fish. You can look up the food needs online. Wild bird seed is a good source. They’ll choose the seeds they prefer. One crow we rescued could not be released so Henry was taken to a wild bird refuge in another state. We really missed him! The first year he gained strength in his injured wing. The second Spring he went missing. He turned up back at the place we raised him! Also turned out to be a she. Lol Henrietta returned with a mate and babies. The mate would fly near but she taught her babies that certain people ( the ones who worked directly with her) could be trusted and they came very near to observe us. You have made friends for life. They and their young will learn you can be trusted. Thank you for caring about them! I only work with kitties now, but we have many birds here near the swamp. I’ll try to get you some photos! I did rescue a delightful little skink recently though! Lol Cutest little tongue as it drank water! I do have photos of a Hawk that lives here if you care to see that. The Audubon Society has a great site where you can see and hear birds of all kinds if you are interested.

Furballsmom Furballsmom might have some bird photos! If she does, maybe she can touch base here.

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the article and the embedded videos. That was a fun read.

Jcatbird i’d love to see all the pics you can muster up. The kink’s too if you still have it. I know wild crows wont ever let you get close enough to pet them but to me seeing them getting fed is a greater reward. Life on the street is tough :(

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have some country photos for you. Most are from a distance but I’ll try to get others when the birds are out. Just in case you ever think about doing a wild bird or wild life rescue, keep in mind that you must have the proper license. Many wild creatures are protected these days.

A Pelican
92F1A4DC-02E2-43F6-A38E-849BD3B8DF5F.jpeg

I included a few butterflies and moths.
4686442A-433F-415D-BC4E-6C0263BE0768.jpeg

Buzzard. Masters of riding the thermals.
F3189C12-1A76-40AF-8A11-88F43504FB0E.jpeg
6143EACC-279B-4284-86DA-E679ED81B06F.jpeg
54CC7650-C064-4755-B9B3-E7C86EBA850A.jpeg

Hawk
B6235B8D-8AC5-4282-A4F4-D72191FE1481.jpeg
C8C9083F-1FC0-46C5-82F7-5459353CF43E.jpeg

The duck with the green feathered head is a Mallard. The feathers are very beautiful and shiny. They look metallic.
638D01FC-F6B1-4C31-95A0-6FD1ED43B203.jpeg

Red winged Black Bird. These come to feed in great flocks at certain times of the year. They have a red bar across the top of the wings.
03C90A74-5AB9-4674-81B2-ED1ADF7EC946.jpeg

Sorry this is so distant. An egret.
6020336D-0244-4C9F-A4E1-9E5BC060446E.jpeg

E318A24F-5BFD-46C3-81F8-71670F580F13.jpeg

The Buzzards grew up here and the cats are fascinated when they come close to the door.
6F3ED8B5-4576-4FD8-A70F-AFEBDBFB475C.jpeg

Now, for anyone who does not like lizards.... go no further!

SPOILER ALERT!

Lizard below!
This is a Skink. Normally they are very shy but during a drought here this little guy was dehydrated. He didn’t move when I found him.
601CB1C3-4A33-4398-9184-F9FCD172CBA5.jpeg

I have him a shallow dish of water and he began to drink.

6AB8C6D1-7DDA-4DE1-9F66-65ECCDD4BAA6.jpeg

After a little food and lots of water he was fully revived.
A44D4B22-4054-408C-A498-CB7EBA915737.jpeg

A drop of water on his little chin and a lizard smile! Lol
DAC6A7C9-7CDD-4CCD-97C9-C936DD1745F7.jpeg

I do have other photos of animals out here and a few I crossed paths with. If you are interested I have Armadillo, possum, a couple of other pretty moths, an iguana and maybe a couple of others. Happy to send them if you have an interest. One of my cats is in love with a tree frog so , lots of pictures of him and some baby ones. Lol

Johnv713

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow where do you live to be able to capture all these wildlife on your camera? Im dead smack in the heart of Houston wher e there isnt much of anything to see. I’m fascinated by buzzards. Think theyre cool looking. Whats the story about your cat and a tree frog?