What can i add to food

momof3b1g

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What can I add to my cats food to help with vomiting. I have 7 cats and one is on prednisolone. it has helped some but not completely. He gets egg lecithin twice a day. Dry food twice a day and wet food twice a day. If they throw up its within 20 minutes of eating and they almost always want to eat right away and then keep it down. I dont know if pre or probiotics would help. Or digestive enzymes?

Sonatine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What kind of bowls/plates do they have? Sometimes elevating the food dish slightly can help. If they're scarf 'n barf type cats, then a slow feeding bowl might help by slowing them down.

Probiotics tend to not be super helpful with vomiting, since they act further down in the gut and not in the stomach.

I'd check in with your vet on this one. There are other medications that might help, but most require a prescription, and I am not a vet, nor am I able to give any direction as to which would be best without knowing more about your cat's diagnosis.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they throw up its within 20 minutes of eating and they almost always want to eat right away and then keep it down.
To me your description sounds more like regurgitation and the reason might be food intolerance, or something in the food just doesn't sit right. In that case changing the food would be the best. But other possibilities need to be eliminated by the vet.

I would also check if the food isn't good, or the food changes too much (do you rotate too frequently?), eating too fast, hairballs, or parasites - are they up to date on deworming?

I know you asked something to add but you know vomiting is a symptom and an anti-nausea medicine or alike is like a band-aid. It will be a more permanent and potentially less costly solution if you can find the cause of vomiting.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Finding a bowl that slows down eating, or only feeding very small amounts at a time can help. Prednisolone in humans can make them ravenously hungry, and it could well be the same with cats. Cats will vomit if the wolf their food down.

Cat Grrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also with my 16 yo kitty the kibble is just too big for her. She would eat it without chewing then throw up. I put it in the food processor and grind it up. My kitty is taking Cerenia (prescription from vet) for vomiting. Good luck with your kitty issues.