TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi everybody

I live in Florida in a high rise

My cat is Adam, 10 months, long hair

In the past 10 days I got some bites on me, red itchy bumps

Adam is scratching once in a while

All of a sudden I noticed many bugs hanging on the windows frames, ceiling, on the curtain

I killed 10 of them

They fly, even tho wings are not visible

Id like to know if they live off Adam fur....or my apartment is infested

And would be great to IDENTIFY them

Thanks !!

Attachments

Uncled

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I used to live in Florida, I too remember finding odd insects, but I have no clue what yours are, can you ask an exterminator?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The good news is that it isn't a flea, a bedbug or a tick. The bad news is that I don't know what it is, but it is not a parasite that generally affects cats, specifically. I'd say you have an infestation, and call an exterminator. That little dickens almost looks like it has fur or feathers! How big is it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It almost looks like a chigger. They leave little red marks, especially around your ankles and they are VERY itchy! You might try sprinkling some food grade diatomaceous earth along the baseboards and window sills, under appliances and furniture, then vacuum it up the next day. Sometimes even Borax, found in the laundry detergent aisle, will work. For you, tea tree oil applied to the bites will stop the itch. You can also try a baking soda/water paste. Some people I know dab on bleach to stop the itching.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to tell by a photo how big or small that bug is, but could it be a no see um? They are very, very tiny but will bite humans and pets as well.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like a stink bug, but they don't bite.
It sorta looks like a kissing bug, but they tend to be a bit longer and not as wide.
It also looks like an assassin bug, but their bites are painful not itchy.

Are you sure that it's this bug doing the biting?

CatLover49

All Cats Are Special
Top Cat
Purraise
hi everybody

All of a sudden I noticed many bugs hanging on the windows frames, ceiling, on the curtain

I killed 10 of them

Thanks !!
It looks like a stink bug

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call an exterminator. Florida has way too many biting insects and if you're killing that many of them that frequently and they are biting you so much you need professional help. I just got back from a vacation and was bitten up by noseeums so badly I had to go on a course of steriods for a week to bring down the hives and itching - I literally had hundreds of bites on me. I don't think that's what those are because the noseeum (i.e. midge) lives near bodies of water. Better safe than sorry.

Mushi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi everybody

I killed 10 of them

Thanks !!
It looks like a citrus weevil, but you didn’t capture enough of the face part and there is nothing for size reference. Weevils eat plants, so I would recommend checking for signs of something else that could explain the red spots. Weevil infestations are not unusual in the South. There is a helpful site called “What’s that bug?” for getting id suggestions.

It looks nothing like a stink bug, a “kissing bug”, nor a chigger... I immediately suspected weevil and found similar coloration for citrus weevils (sounds fitting for the citrus state). They are harmless to you and your pets (unless you/they are citrus).

There are many sites that explain how to check for bedbugs—they are not as easy to notice. Good luck!