What breeds does my cat resemble?

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's a handsome fellow, and he sounds like a nice friendly cat, too! Did you adopt him recently? What's his name?

I would describe your cat as a black and white domestic shorthair. Some people call black and white cats with this pattern "tuxedo cats" since they look a bit like they are wearing a tux :)

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs... but that doesn't make them any less pretty or special. Domestic shorthairs are great cats!

Sandra Kay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He's a handsome fellow, and he sounds like a nice friendly cat, too! Did you adopt him recently? What's his name?

I would describe your cat as a black and white domestic shorthair. Some people call black and white cats with this pattern "tuxedo cats" since they look a bit like they are wearing a tux :)

Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not "mixes" of breeds, unlike dogs... but that doesn't make them any less pretty or special. Domestic shorthairs are great cats!
Agree American Short Hair Tuxedo

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Agree American Short Hair Tuxedo
I can understand why you would say that, since many people confuse "domestic shorthair" with "American Shorthair." However, these are different:
  • "American Shorthair" is a pedigreed breed. The foundation of the American Shorthair breed began over 100 years ago, including both native shorthaired cats from the United States, and British Shorthairs imported from England. American Shorthairs are relatively massive in type compared to the cat in this thread, with relatively short and broad heads and powerful bodies, although they are not quite as massive in type as the British Shorthair. American Shorthairs have been selectively bred to a specific breed standard for many decades, and no longer use domestic shorthairs as an outcross.
  • "Domestic shorthair" refers to any cat that has short hair and is not any particular breed. Some domestic shorthairs have specific breeds in their ancestry, but most are simply domestic cats that aren't mixed with any specific breed at all. Because there is so much variety in the domestic cat gene pool, domestic shorthairs can vary tremendously in color, head and body shape, size, and personality. Most shorthaired cats are domestic shorthairs, not American Shorthairs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jooze

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies from everyone. Name is Tobi, we got him a couple weeks ago. We thought he was a male, as told to us by the previous owner, the vet even said "pretty sure hes a male" even tho she couldnt be sure... after a week she says "its a female, i always thought she was a girl"...
His still young thats why hes small but wont grow much more than this as he must have maybe 6 months (previous owner said 3/3.5....). He also loves belly rubs :)