justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think we may have answered your question before? But the orange and cream kitten is certainly part Persian and the father is either full persian or part persian. The mother is a pointed cat and is a ragdoll or birman look a-like. Of course without papers they are all considered domestics.  The kitten may have been the runt and is small for her age. My ragdoll was the runt and he is only 9 pounds when most ragdoll males are usually 20 pounds. He isn't stunted  but is just smaller than the breed standard. 

Dexter is considered a domestic shorthair. He has an interesting head shape and cool looking ears, which look slightly oriental to me. Here is an example:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What kind of cat is that...also thanks for the help.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kind of cat is that...also thanks for the help.

Franksmom meant the Oriental,  who is somewhat akin to modern siamese.

Google on Oriental cat.

And yeah, we had talked about these cats before, although not Dexter but the others.    :)

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes the cat int the picture is an oriental and like Stfanz said google oriental cat for more information and pictures. I think Dexter's head shape and ears look a little like an oriental cat, but he is most likely a domestic shorthair who is just a look a like but he might have some siamese or oriental ancestry. I am not sure if you are in North America but Siamese cats are pretty popular and there has been a lot of Siamese cats interbreeding with the domestic population, so some domestic cats have siamese ancestry but it could be many generations removed. Can tell us more about his parents?

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got him from a pet store so i dont know about his parents. he is VERRRRRRY affectionate lol

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
 Dexter's ears look like a Cornish Rex LOL!     I don't mean he IS one -- they also have a wavy coat. 

The blue Oriental in the photo actually has much higher set ears than usual in the breed .   they're more often wider set.  

But Dexter does look like he may have some Oriental  or Siamese in him.     He may grow into the ears to some extent,   so they may not look so big when he is an adult. 

I just LOVE Dexter's looks;  I liked him before and I'm glad to see some more pictures. 

Franksmom summed up the earlier discussion about the parents and I still agree with what I said then and what she posted now.

Possibly Minion,  the Cream and White Persian mix kitten,  was a runt?  or born normal size but just slow growing?    I've heard of kittens like that that grow slower , develop slower than their littermates but may eventually take off and grow up fairly normal in size.  

But it might also be some other genetic cause that  means he will just be very small.   Apparently there is something like that in some lines of Persians.  Hopefully it won't be anything to affect his health   but   I would make sure he is neutered by 6 months or before going to any new home in case it is genetic.     

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh yes now that maewkaew mentions it there is the phenomenon of the teacup or mini persian. From my understanding the runts of some persian litters are very small and some not very responsible (imo)  breeders started breeding these runts to create "teacup" or "mini" persians. This practice is not just with persians and there are many different "teacup" breeders out there breeding many different runt or dwarf cats. You may recall Kim Kardashian had a teacup persian who died at a very young age. 

The problem with these teacup cats is that they often have health problems like Kim's cat. Runts are often prone to some health issues and in my opinion it is pretty irresponsible to breed them. 

Like I said above your cat is most likely a runt and will be much smaller than the average persian cat just as my ragdoll runt is much smaller than his breed standard. When he is older he may be considered a "dwarf" cat.  I agree you need to get him fixed and do not let him breed. Runts may be very cute and the internal kitten but they also often have issues. 

justina marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am really hoping this is nopt the case. so far he is eating and playing alot more then he was. he has grown some since i got him but not much. i got him at 5 weeks (which was too early and i was misinformed when i got him). he was eating wet food and playing alot so i thought he was older.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes he could just still be growing and even if he is a runt not all of the have health problems it is just best not to breed them imo