What breed would you recommend?

ennogs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wish to get a kitten but don't know what breed to get.

A friend's two cats have won me over. I want a cat of my own but need help deciding on the right breed. My friends two cats are not related and naturally have very different personalites. There is also an 9 year age difference between them. They are both female. I don't know what breed they are.

The older cat loves being alone upstairs in one of the bedrooms. She doesn't really like being in the company of others. What I mean by this is if my friend invites a few of her friends over to her house if the older cat is not already upstairs you can be guaranteed she will run upstairs and stay there. She will only come down at feeding time and go straight back upstairs after feeding. She does sometimes seek a bit of attention from her owner and sit in her lap but is not that often really. She would never go and sit in a strangers lap.

The younger cat is very boisterous and loves being in the company of others. She will often follow you if you move from one room to another. To me it kind of feels like she is thinking "Where are you going?, What are you up to?, I am coming along to see." She is very inquisitive. She loves playing with cat toys. Although she is not a lap cat she does seek attention from my friend and sit on her lap a lot more than the older cat.

What I am I looking for?

I want a kitten more like my friends younger cat. Inquisituve and boisterous (I realise that may be a difficult ask). Enjoys being around people when I invite my family or friends over. Likes being a lap cat. Loves getting attention from me. Is ok with being an indoor only cat. Not a deal breaker but if I can I would like a breed of cat that has minimal or no hair shedding.

I have been reading up on what breed to get but there is so much conflicting advice. So far I have been I thinking about a ragdoll. Based on what I am looking for what breed of cat would you recommend for me?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats aren't a specific breed unless you purchase from a breeder. But even then, you can't guarantee their personality. Personality and breed aren't as related with cats the way that they are with dogs.

My advice to you would be to adopt from a shelter. Visit some shelters and spend time with the cats - get to know them and see which ones you bond with. There are so many wonderful homeless cats out there in shelters who really need a loving home. Why support a breeder when there's an overpopulation of cats being put to sleep in shelters every day?

My other piece of advice is to not have too many expectations going into it. You will probably find that your cat wll not meet all of your expecations. They tend to be peculiar and unpredictable animals - you need to be ready for anything. Adopting a cat is a big commitment and you need to be prepared for all kinds of personaliities. You will never be able to predict a cat's presonality before you bring them home.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well what you described is really more personality of individual cats not breed specific. Also cats breeds aren't really that different like dog breeds, cats where never breed for any purpose (aside from maybe Persians, who were bred to sit there and look pretty, lol). Also unlike dogs most cats aren't actually an specific breed or mix, just domestic short or long haired. I think your best bet may be to check out shelters in your area for a cat/kitten that has the personality you are looking for, rather then trying to find a kitten of a specific breed which may or may not adhere to breed standard personality. I mean by all means if you decide on a breed look for one of those but don't close your mind to any other cat. Even in the same litter of kittens the range in personality can be all over the place, let alone the same breed.

If you want a cat to be good around people your best bet, more then specific breed, is to socialize it like you would a puppy. While it's young get it use to having people over, have people play with it, and give it treats so it associates people coming over with good things. Also pick a kitten from the litter that is actually more outgoing and comes to you rather then one that is focused playing with it's siblings or running off to play instead.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Since you are more interested in temperament than appearance, I would suggest a Domestic Shorthair or perhaps a purebred American Shorthair or British Shorthair.

If you can wait until kitten season, you might also find your new best friend through somebody who cares for community cats (ferals). They work very hard to tame as many kittens as they can for rehoming and would know the kittens' different quirks and preferences.

Another thought is that kittens are a lot of work! Every trait that makes my kiddo a great hiking buddy, insomni-cat, and velcro-kitty also makes her a stubborn, opinionated, hyper little butt head sometimes. An adult cat would have already gotten her sillies out and her adolescent mood swings over with. She would be less likely to be permanently traumatized by a mistake. You would know what you were getting into.

If something happened to me, I would hope that my sociable cat could find a new person to love who was just like you.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Kitten season is not far off and there will be lots of kittens needing a home. Shelters, local rescues even Nextdoor app and craigslist are places to look. It’s definitely best to be able to sit on the floor and interact with them for a clue on personality. Also I believe a kitty that is attracted to you will pick you. You will know when it happens. If you decide to go with a kitten it makes a huge difference to get two. That may sound crazy at first but because of advice I received on this site I brought home two siblings 8 months ago. They are so bonded. They had each other to comfort, sleep with and play play play. Having each other for company means they are never alone when your away from the house. It’s been Great. I think one would have been much harder to adjust and they learn so much from each other. Personally wise you win with two also Each of my boys is very different but I get to enjoy both of their different traits. Good luck finding your new family member(s). Let us know!!!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You cant count on getting particular personality traits by choosing a particular breed.

My boys are brothers from the same litter, look very similar and often even have the same postures. Yet their personalities are quite different in important ways.

The "breed" I like ? (Although I have loved every one of my many cats).......... is "BIG" I love having a big cat. The bigger the better. There is something about the power, the weight, the majestic presence of such a cat. And I love long haired cats.....double or triple coats are even better.

But I will take in, look after and love virtually any cat that comes in to my life and is in need.

Greg and Arnold...my boys.

20191021_191726-1.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ennogs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your advice

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
My advice to you would be to adopt from a shelter. Visit some shelters and spend time with the cats - get to know them and see which ones you bond with. There are so many wonderful homeless cats out there in shelters who really need a loving home. Why support a breeder when there's an overpopulation of cats being put to sleep in shelters every day?
:yeah: Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
As others have said, I would definitely recommend checking out a shelter! There is a lot of variety among the randombred population: you’ll find shorthairs, longhairs, cats that resemble Persians, Siamese, and Maine Coons, and everything in between! Most (if not all) shelters let you interact with the cats before you take one home, so that way you’ll get an idea of a cat’s personality. Again, there is a ton of variation among the Domestic Shorthair and Longhair populations, so there will be super active cats, super mellow cats, super cuddly cats, as well as cats who like to do their own thing. So, you’ll for sure be able to find the perfect match for you and your lifestyle!

If you do have your heart set on a purebred, then I would recommend going to a cat show! There, you will be able to see the cats in person and talk to breeders, so you will be able to figure out which breed you like best! Here’s a link to the show calendars for CFA and TICA, the two major breed registries:

Show Calendar

Show Calendar

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You also might consider adopting an adult cat from a shelter or rescue group. Their personalities are formed by then. But there is a lot of good advice on this thread. If you do go to a shelter or rescue group, give the shy cats a chance. Many of them are just intimidated by being around so many other cats and/or being in a strange, new environment.

But, I have never met or had a "bad" cat. Good luck!

If you do decide you want a purebred, you might find a breeder selling either what they consider "pet" quality kittens, or a retired breeder they
might be willing to sell. But be sure to check on the breeder's reputation.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as breed temperaments go, you can only generalize personalities in cats. For example (because I am more familiar with the breed) Persians are usually sweet, docile and good tempered, BUT not all! I have one who is totally the opposite. Go to a shelter, observe the cats/kittens for a while and find one who piques your interest. Interact with them - most of the time, the cat will pick you instead of you picking them.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think first-time cat owners should always get an adult cat, or a bonded pair of adult cats. Kittens are unpredictable and naughty. I think the ideal situation would be to find a cat whose owner is trying to rehome them due to unfortunate circumstances (on craigslist or kijiji or an ad at the vet's office, etc.), and observe them in their own home so you know what they're really like. Cats in a shelter are stressed and not quite themselves (although that's a fine choice, too, you just have to try to look past shyness or other stress behaviors).

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd suggest rescue! :) There are so many cats out there who need loving homes, and you can't always rely on the main characteristics of a breed to be the same for your cat, too, since just like people all cats have different personalities and temperaments. Getting a rescue cat - and I can speak from first hand experience as the owner of two former semi-ferals - is such a rewarding experience and they have so much love to give.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up foster failing my 3 lol. They are amazing and fit in so well. Have you thought about fostering? That way you can find a kitty with the right personality. And for young kittens (under 6 months) I always recommend 2, that way they can teach each other manners, and can burn off lots of energy. :) I don't regret adopting my 2 boys at all, they weren't bonded but boy do they love each other so much. And it made fostering easier as they are used to other kitties.