What Breed Was My Girl?

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Please do not look if you are sensitive, for my goal is not to depress anyone on this wonderful site. These are not photos of a live kitty.

Jeff was a special friend who left me on March 29th. I have been heartbroken since. She was very unique looking large tabby cat with a long jungle cat face and an expression of sophistication. I can't seem to find any cat that resembles her. She was 15 pounds, with large paws, everything about her seemed so large.

Could she have been a chause kitty or a hybrid? I would love to see one that looks like her, even if it is not my girl.

my baby.jpg
my baby.jpg jeffer.jpg jeff.jpg

Here is a chause cat,

images.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
That makes two of us. I thought she was a wild cat when I first laid eyes on her.

I don't know why it is so important for me to know what kind of kitty she was, maybe I am just hoping to see another one like her.

I hope this thread did not upset anyone. I tried to make it a spoiler alert so that the pictures of Jeff could be clicked on instead of just being out there, but it didn't work the way I wanted it to.

I don't think many people want to comment on her. :(

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs: I am not an expert, but Jeff had such unique features that I have no idea. I have never seen a domestic cat with such an elongated face. To me, 15 pounds is light for a cat, but two of my cats are obese, and they look it. So 15 is heavy for the average, lean cat. And those are some large paws. I, too, would love to know and hope someone can weigh in on this who can provide insight. Hybrids do escape occasionally (it happened to the Bengal breeder I met with before ultimately deciding to adopt Speck from the shelter). In the area where I live, there is also something called a wild cat, though I have no idea what people are referring to. My parents saw one and I automatically thought they meant a mountain lion. My dad tried to explain and I still couldn't grasp the concept.

Did Jeff have any characteristics that made her seem different than other cats, such as liking to play in water? (My Mil's DSH will jump into a running shower, but since most cats don't do this...) Maybe describing some of her traits would help. Do you have other pictures of her you could share?

I apologize for rambling, but I am just thinking out loud while typing. I wish I could think of the member who has bobcats and mountain lions and tag him in. He is an incredible resource, and very nice about sharing information.

Last edited:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Jeff was so gorgeous. She had such unique facial features! I think Chausie is a good breed comparison.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss. :hugs: I am not an expert, but Jeff had such unique features that I have no idea. I have never seen a domestic cat with such an elongated face. To me, 15 pounds is light for a cat, but two of my cats are obese, and they look it. So 15 is heavy for the average, lean cat. And those are some large paws. I, too, would love to know and hope someone can weigh in on this who can provide insight. Hybrids do escape occasionally (it happened to the Bengal breeder I met with before ultimately deciding to adopt Speck from the shelter). In the area where I live, there is also something called a wild cat, though I have no idea what people are referring to. My parents saw one and I automatically thought they meant a mountain lion. My dad tried to explain and I still couldn't grasp the concept.

Did Jeff have any characteristics that made her seem different than other cats, such as liking to play in water? (My Mil's DSH will jump into a running shower, but since most cats don't do this...) Maybe describing some of her traits would help. Do you have other pictures of her you could share?

I apologize for rambling, but I am just thinking out loud while typing. I wish I could think of the member who has bobcats and mountain lions and tag him in. He is an incredible resource, and very nice about sharing information.

Thank you so much for replying, nurseangle, it means a lot to me.

I honestly never met a cat like her. Even though she was half starved when I met her she wouldn't hurt a fly, she just didn't hunt. She was humorous and kind hearted and seemed to be particularly drawn to helping kittens. She was calm and relax with me but deathly afraid of other humans, I could never seem to get her socialized with people. She seemed worldly-wise and I think quite old when I met her.

Her looks always intrigued me and I guess it would give me some measure of comfort to know there is another one out there who looks like her. I know her life before meeting me will likely remain a mystery but I was hoping that her looks wouldn't.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m so sorry to hear about your loss. Jeff was so gorgeous. She had such unique facial features! I think Chausie is a good breed comparison.

Thank you, abyeb. Jeff was a beautiful girl, both inside and out. She was a good friend and I was so lucky to have met her.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you so much for replying, nurseangle, it means a lot to me.

I honestly never met a cat like her. Even though she was half starved when I met her she wouldn't hurt a fly, she just didn't hunt. She was humorous and kind hearted and seemed to be particularly drawn to helping kittens. She was calm and relax with me but deathly afraid of other humans, I could never seem to get her socialized with people. She seemed worldly-wise and I think quite old when I met her.

Her looks always intrigued me and I guess it would give me some measure of comfort to know there is another one out there who looks like her. I know her life before meeting me will likely remain a mystery but I was hoping that her looks wouldn't.
Bless you for taking in an older cat. IMHO, chausie or chausie mix is my guess as well, judging by your description of her. They tend to be loyal to one person and feel the need to be around other animals. I am just judging by appearance and behavior, and have just done a lot of research since I was planning to get an exotic breed before my mom talked me into adopting from a what I refer to as a high kill-shelter. I'm happy your girl had a loving home and that you were blessed with a friend who was poetry in motion in life and will remain in your heart forever.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about breed, but she looks so regal, wild and majestic. What a special, unique cat :redheartpump:

Thank you, kosame for your beautiful description of my beloved friend. I too thought Jeff was very regal looking- the grand dame of cats.