What Breed of cat should I get ?

mystic unity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi my name is Kim I am new here.I always had cats growing up they found us.I am not in a hurry to find a cat.I am doing research and want to ask experts some questions.I want to get a kitten and I realize when they are young they are active and that every cat has it's own personality.I would like to know what breed of cat is most likely to meet this description.A high priority is a short haired low shedding.Low grooming maintenance.Clean. Lower allergy causing is important.I am not allergic but have family that will be over some times.(When it's an adult) Calm easy going,lower energy, a balance of loving sit on your lap, social and spends time on it's own.Not demanding or pushy.Enjoys being picked up and carried.I have no vocal preference.Must be good with dogs,other cats and kids.Is ok with car rides.I would prefer smaller but that's not a must.I would prefer grey.I read light colored and female cats have lower Fel D4 protein gene.Is grey considered light colored or is only white ? I would prefer body type Intermediate,semi-coby or semi-foreign.I would enjoy if it greeted me at the door when I came home,can play fetch and when I call it's name it comes,but these things aren't a must. I want a kitten because I want to be in it's life as early as possible I enjoy that special bond .When it's an adult I don't want to deal with mischievous behavior turning on water knocking everything in site over.When I own an animal it's for life and I love it as part of my family.I won't be showing the cat and it's not important for me to be able to brag about having a expensive pure breed but I am willing to pay a high price for a calm personality short haired low grooming and low protein gene,good health. Different cat breeds sites on the internet don't agree,I've thought american short haired,British short haired.Korat or American wirehair.Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help me.Take Care,Kim 

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kim and welcome to the site! :)

Personally, I think that rather than looking for a specific breed of cat because of their stereotypical behaviors, you should head to a few shelters and see if you can play with some of the kitties there. Don't limit yourself to a kitten either. Cats that are a bit older still have years of life left in them! Also, older cats can learn tricks and the like, but it will be a bit harder, just like how it is harder to learn a language later in life. Of course, if you're stuck on a kitten, go for it! However, I wouldn't bother paying some breeder for a cat who you probably won't even meet before they're yours. You'll want a kitty who really fits you, and many shelters are overflowing. In my opinion, breeders shouldn't exist at the moment anyway because of how many stray cats there are already. For every kitten bred another cat in a shelter is put down, a lot of the time for minor issues or no reason at all. Where are you in the world? Asking other members from your area will help you find a good shelter to adopt from.

My point: no need to pay a high price for a kitty when you can instead save a life from a shelter and pay minimal prices. 

Whatever you choose, good luck and make sure to post pics! ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mystic unity

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Icoele,You made a lot of excellent points but one of my main concerns is getting a cat with the low protein gene because one of my adult sons is allergic to cats and he comes to visit a few times a week.Do you know if grey cats are considered low allergy ? I have seen full breed cats in shelters too. I am not real stuck on having a cat that wants to fetch or comes when called.It is important to me that I get a cat that has a nice personality that doesn't attack people or isn't crazy jumping off the walls. I always had strays so I am not opposed to a shelter or fostered cat.I am even willing to consider an adult cat.Thanks for your time and opinion.Take Care,Kim

zed xyzed

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree wit

Hi Kim and welcome to the site! :)

Personally, I think that rather than looking for a specific breed of cat because of their stereotypical behaviors, you should head to a few shelters and see if you can play with some of the kitties there. Don't limit yourself to a kitten either. Cats that are a bit older still have years of life left in them! Also, older cats can learn tricks and the like, but it will be a bit harder, just like how it is harder to learn a language later in life. Of course, if you're stuck on a kitten, go for it! However, I wouldn't bother paying some breeder for a cat who you probably won't even meet before they're yours. You'll want a kitty who really fits you, and many shelters are overflowing. In my opinion, breeders shouldn't exist at the moment anyway because of how many stray cats there are already. For every kitten bred another cat in a shelter is put down, a lot of the time for minor issues or no reason at all. Where are you in the world? Asking other members from your area will help you find a good shelter to adopt from.

My point: no need to pay a high price for a kitty when you can instead save a life from a shelter and pay minimal prices. 

Whatever you choose, good luck and make sure to post pics! ;)
I agree 100% I went to a kitty cafe here in Toronto that had kitties from the local shelter. It was a great place to see a cat's personality, to see how there are around other people and other cats. I fell in love this a silver tabby but I know Midi would never forgive me if I brought him a little brother. The nice thing about the cafe is that some of the proceeds go to local shelters. Also, they have been very successful in finding homes for most of the cats there. I think they said that they rehome a cat at least once every day on average. 

stallion

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If your son if allergic, then here are some lower fel d1 cats out there. But.. it is not guranteed that it should work so you shold probably visit a breeder first to see if there is any allergic reaction. one of the cats i know are Siberians. Try with those.

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi Icoele,You made a lot of excellent points but one of my main concerns is getting a cat with the low protein gene because one of my adult sons is allergic to cats and he comes to visit a few times a week.Do you know if grey cats are considered low allergy ? I have seen full breed cats in shelters too. I am not real stuck on having a cat that wants to fetch or comes when called.It is important to me that I get a cat that has a nice personality that doesn't attack people or isn't crazy jumping off the walls. I always had strays so I am not opposed to a shelter or fostered cat.I am even willing to consider an adult cat.Thanks for your time and opinion.Take Care,Kim
Sorry Kim, I know nothing about the protein gene in cats! If I did I'd try to help more. Good luck on finding the right kitty for you!!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Hi my name is Kim I am new here.I always had cats growing up they found us.I am not in a hurry to find a cat.I am doing research and want to ask experts some questions.I want to get a kitten and I realize when they are young they are active and that every cat has it's own personality.I would like to know what breed of cat is most likely to meet this description.A high priority is a short haired low shedding.Low grooming maintenance.Clean. Lower allergy causing is important.I am not allergic but have family that will be over some times.(When it's an adult) Calm easy going,lower energy, a balance of loving sit on your lap, social and spends time on it's own.Not demanding or pushy.Enjoys being picked up and carried.I have no vocal preference.Must be good with dogs,other cats and kids.Is ok with car rides.I would prefer smaller but that's not a must.I would prefer grey.I read light colored and female cats have lower Fel D4 protein gene.Is grey considered light colored or is only white ? I would prefer body type Intermediate,semi-coby or semi-foreign.I would enjoy if it greeted me at the door when I came home,can play fetch and when I call it's name it comes,but these things aren't a must. I want a kitten because I want to be in it's life as early as possible I enjoy that special bond .When it's an adult I don't want to deal with mischievous behavior turning on water knocking everything in site over.When I own an animal it's for life and I love it as part of my family.I won't be showing the cat and it's not important for me to be able to brag about having a expensive pure breed but I am willing to pay a high price for a calm personality short haired low grooming and low protein gene,good health. Different cat breeds sites on the internet don't agree,I've thought american short haired,British short haired.Korat or American wirehair.Thank you in advance for anyone willing to help me.Take Care,Kim 
I was thinking a British Shorthair or a  Russian Blue. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Blue

As fr as the whole being picked up and held thing is concerned, I think that that 's more of an individual thing. Some cats tolerate it, some cats like it, some cats hate it. You'd just have to figure out yourcat' likes/dislike. Both of my girls used to HATE being held but now they tolerate it well because they are being loved on and they know that as soon as they let me know that they have had enough, I will put them down. 

Last edited:

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We found our cat as a small kitten under our shop. She does fetch sometimes but hates being held she's a short haired calico cat no specific breed as far as I know. She does seem to shed a lot of individual hairs. Our black & white medium hair I got from a lady I work with. She sheds in clumps and is more of a lap cat. She doesn't like being picked up either but will climb in your lap to lay down and nap. By the time you pay for shots and spay/ neuter you will be in it over $700 so I would just get a shelter kitten or cat maybe the staff has noticed some of the behaviors you desire.

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, Kim! Does your son see an allergist? If he has severe allergies and you want him to be able to visit, I'd suggest starting by having him check with his allergist. Maybe his cat allergy is not as severe as his other allergies and Zyrtec will be enough. In other cases, it might not be enough to allow him to visit. My dad has severe cat allergies, and even with allergy shots, Zyrtec, decongestants, and Benadryl, he can't come in our house for more than an hour or two without his eyes starting to swell shut.

Russian blues are sometimes recommended for those with allergies, but I have another friend who loves cats and has allergies who tried to adopt a Russian blue. He ended up having to rehome the cat due to his allergies. :(

I just wanted to give some realistic background! Hopefully, your son's allergies aren't so bad. Adopting a new kitty is always exciting. I wish you the best of luck!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Fur color has nothing to do with allergens, IMO. Cat saliva is the main cause of allergens. There are breeds purported to by hypoallergenic but even these cats may trigger mild allergic symptoms in sensitive people.

Purebreeds are rarely found in shelters. Those are that described as purebred are often mixes or given the name of a breed they most resemble. Consider a breed specific rescue if you are dead set on a specific breed.

Kittens of any breed are super curious and active. If you don't have the time and / or patience for an active kitten and teaching it the rules of the house (no scratching on the furniture, for example), get an adult cat. Adult cats make very good pets. Be specific about what you are looking for in a cat and any shelter will do its best to find at least a few cats who meet those criteria. Keep in mind that a cat in a cramped shelter cage may not show it's true personality.

Or, consider a different pet. Small animals like guinea pigs and rabbits and hamsters are popular. If handled and socialized properly, most are happy to be held and carried around and sit on a lap.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Fur color has nothing to do with allergens, IMO. Cat saliva is the main cause of allergens. There are breeds purported to by hypoallergenic but even these cats may trigger mild allergic symptoms in sensitive people.

Purebreeds are rarely found in shelters. Those are that described as purebred are often mixes or given the name of a breed they most resemble. Consider a breed specific rescue if you are dead set on a specific breed.

Kittens of any breed are super curious and active. If you don't have the time and / or patience for an active kitten and teaching it the rules of the house (no scratching on the furniture, for example), get an adult cat. Adult cats make very good pets. Be specific about what you are looking for in a cat and any shelter will do its best to find at least a few cats who meet those criteria. Keep in mind that a cat in a cramped shelter cage may not show it's true personality.

Or, consider a different pet. Small animals like guinea pigs and rabbits and hamsters are popular. If handled and socialized properly, most are happy to be held and carried around and sit on a lap.
These animals are often available in shelters, too. You don't have to go to a pet store to find one. 

pusheen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There's really no such thing as a hypoallergenic or no-allergy cat. If your son has allergies, and you still want to get a cat, treat his allergies with medication and adopt a cat from a shelter.

You should also realize, before even thinking of adopting, that no cat is going to do what you want it to all the time, regardless of breed. No cat will behave precisely how you want it to. That's the glorious thing about living with a pet--they have their own personalities. They live their lives how they want to. You need to be prepared to love a cat you adopt as a true part of your family--that is, you won't toss him at the first sign of mischievousness, or some other "problem" behavior.

You can do a lot of research and visit a lot of shelters, meeting cats who were low maintenance and social and liked being picked up with their original family, and discover that their behavior is a bit different with your family. 

icoele

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

There's really no such thing as a hypoallergenic or no-allergy cat. If your son has allergies, and you still want to get a cat, treat his allergies with medication and adopt a cat from a shelter.

You should also realize, before even thinking of adopting, that no cat is going to do what you want it to all the time, regardless of breed. No cat will behave precisely how you want it to. That's the glorious thing about living with a pet--they have their own personalities. They live their lives how they want to. You need to be prepared to love a cat you adopt as a true part of your family--that is, you won't toss him at the first sign of mischievousness, or some other "problem" behavior.

You can do a lot of research and visit a lot of shelters, meeting cats who were low maintenance and social and liked being picked up with their original family, and discover that their behavior is a bit different with your family. 
Isn't Sphinx supposed to be one of the more allergy-friendly cats? Also, Kim, how severe are his allergies?

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm being really lazy here, but I have very little luck getting URLs to work when I post them, but I Googled "low fel d1 cat breeds and immediately came up with all the intormation you could possibly use.

I'm certainly a huge proponent of the "adopt, don't shop" school, but in your case this might not be possible.  Once you have decided on the right breed for you, I would hope that you would Google for rescue groups of that breed in your area.  If you find one that's too far away, I can recommend a good transport group to you.  They are loving and reliable at getting kittehs from one end of the country to another!

handsome kitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A couple of thoughts:

Just because a cat is a hypo allergic breed doesn't mean the cat will be hypo allergic.  I have a friend with 2 Siberians.  1 she is fine with, the other sets off her allergies.  She loves them both and manages with allergy pills.  BTW the light colored point is the one who sets off her allergies, not the black one.

My DD stayed with a friend who had a cat to finish a semester of college when we moved to another state.  She had terrible allergies, itchy runny eyes, sneezing, everything.  She lived on Claritin for 2 months.  She has no problem with our two current cats.  We think one is part Siamese and the other part Maine Coon.  When we started looking for a 2nd cat we would visit adoption events at pet stores so she could hold them and see if she was allergic or not.

Another option would be to foster a cat and see how it goes.  Our 2nd foster cat was fostered for 2 months by someone else so we had a good idea of her personality.  There are an amazing number of pure breed rescues out there.

I hope you find the perfect kitty.

godiva kiss

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
If your son does have allergies and you still wish to have a kitten, you could perhaps go with the shorter hair kittens like the Cornish Rex for example. They lack the outer coat so they don't have a lot of fur, but can still be very playful and friendly nevertheless. If not, then I would go with something simple, like a shorthaired tabby.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get a domestic short hair, any color, from a shelter. I have a black cat and and beige carpets, and I have to say that his fur on the carpets makes them look dirty. But I love him. The behavior you are looking for in a cat will depend on you and how you treat him. If you treat him or her well, he or she will respond to that. In my experience, female cats are gentler and more affectionate than male cats. Tell your son to take a Claritin before he comes over; your relationship with your cat is more important than your son's allergies.

peagreenboat82

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adore cats, but I highly disagree with DreamerRose. I think wishful thinking around allergies can often cause pets to end up being rehomed or given to shelters. Better to find out what your specific needs are for you and your family before adopting or buying yor new pet.

If you can work around not having your son visit, then it won't matter what type of cat you get. If your son's allergies only cause a bit of sneezing, then taking Claritin or Zyrtec may be enough (although he would need to plan on taking them with enough time in advance). If your son's allergies are bad enough that he sees an allergist, he probably had a skin test at some point and your son's allergist could tell him how bad his cat allergy actually is. If it's bad enough that he has allergic asthma or his eyes swell (meaning he wouldn't be safe to drive after visiting you), then there might not be any cat he'd be safe to visit very long with. Short cat hair doesn't really make a difference. It's the dander and the saliva that is the problem.

Personally, I'd recommend by starting by evaluating your own specific needs and the level of your son's allergies if you intend to have him over for long stretches of time. That way you can find the best pet (and cat if it works out) for you and so that pet can be part of your family for a long time.

Best of luck to you! [emoji]128570[/emoji]