What Breed Is This Dog?

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
upload_2018-9-11_14-22-20.png

Hi everyone :) I am looking to adopt a dog and came across this beauty... any one have any idea what breed she may be? She is obviously mixed, but I think she has a bit of German Shepherd... as I have a cat, the breed is important! Let me know your thoughts :)

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Could have a few varieties in her but I agree she looks like she has some german shepherd, could also be some spanial. Are her paws big?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, my cat's vet said she probably has some German Shepherd... Here's a picture where you can see her paws. Any idea of how big she could get? The volunteer told me between 15-20 kilos... What do you think?

upload_2018-9-11_16-49-16.png

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Looks like a certified mutt to me lol, anyways personalities can change with maturity so puppies are always a bit of a crapshoot. I've had cats always and a variety of "bad with cat" breeds as I rescue and foster, mostly terriers big and small but also a husky. With training and management most dogs can live fine with cats.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Honestly she looks like a medium to large breed mutt. If I had to guess, possibly some German shepherd, possibly some lab, possibly some husky, could even have some rottie in there. Unfortunately unless you know the parents it can be very hard to tell what is mixed in there. For example, I met a pup once who you would have sworn was a black lab mix, but after a DNA test they found out she didn't have any lab in her (I think she turned out to be mostly dachshund, dalmatian, and border collie, with some other breeds to a lesser extent). If breed really matters to you I would at least look for a dog that they know what the mother was. Or if you are willing to you can get the pup DNA tested. However, individual personality and temperament of the pup, along with how you raise it can make a huge difference.

I have cats, as well as three dogs. I have a rough collie, a lab/German shepherd mix, and a rottweiler/Akita/German shepherd mix, all are good with the cats, and were raised with cats. Also mixes can take on the some or all traits of whatever they are mixed with. My lab/shepherd mix for example acts more like a lab then a German shepherd most of the time.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree with the other posters as to the breed. With a puppy especially, I think breed is far less important than individual temperament and good training. I currently have a Labrador who grew up with cats, and is wonderful with them. I used to have a :rbheart:greyhound:rbheart: as well (one of the 'worst' breeds to have with cats), and he was absolutely wonderful with them. My uncle has a malamut, another 'bad' breed, and she's absolutely fantastic with all their cats too.

Basically, most puppies can be brought up to be respectful of cats, so long as you put in the necessary time and work, and take appropriate safety precautions until you're 1000% sure he/she can be trusted. Crate training is incredibly useful in these situations, as it gives the cats a chance to get comfortable around the dog in complete safety, not to mention giving you complete peace of mind when you can't be there to supervise. Make sure you get a crate thatll still be big enough for puppy when he/she grows up. They come in handy more often than you'd think ;)
Introducing Cats To Dogs
How To Safely Introduce A Cat And A Dog
Caring For Cats And Dogs
Best And Worst Dog Breeds To Live With Cats
9 Videos That Prove Dogs And Cats Can Be Good Friends

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies and your advice! It definitely makes me feel better knowing that others have had mainly good experiences with dogs and cats under the same roof! Interesting about the breeds too... Being a mutt they have no idea who the parents are (poor thing was left in a closed bag on the highway and saved!) and for me breed was only important to understand the relationship with cats, as I prefer to adopt then buy a specific breed.
I live in a flat in the centre of a city so size sort of matters too... Also because we don't have a garden - we have two balconies. To answer one of the questions in this picture she is three months old. I would probably get here, if I go ahead, at 4 months.
Any tips for how to make it work if you work full time? My boyfriend worka one mont abroad and then is home one month so the plan is to get her when he's home the 30 days so we can settle her in, potty train etc. On November he leaves again and I work a full time job... My plan is to get a dog sitter but was curious to see what other people do. Thanks again for all your help!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all your replies and your advice! It definitely makes me feel better knowing that others have had mainly good experiences with dogs and cats under the same roof! Interesting about the breeds too... Being a mutt they have no idea who the parents are (poor thing was left in a closed bag on the highway and saved!) and for me breed was only important to understand the relationship with cats, as I prefer to adopt then buy a specific breed.
I live in a flat in the centre of a city so size sort of matters too... Also because we don't have a garden - we have two balconies. To answer one of the questions in this picture she is three months old. I would probably get here, if I go ahead, at 4 months.
Any tips for how to make it work if you work full time? My boyfriend worka one mont abroad and then is home one month so the plan is to get her when he's home the 30 days so we can settle her in, potty train etc. On November he leaves again and I work a full time job... My plan is to get a dog sitter but was curious to see what other people do. Thanks again for all your help!
Did you get the pup?? =D

nala88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did you get the pup?? =D
Not yet! We are still doing research so also visiting the kennel and seeing different options. It's not a decision we want to make too rashly so taking it slow :)

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Any tips for how to make it work if you work full time? My plan is to get a dog sitter but was curious to see what other people do.
I would agree there is more than likely some shepherd in her as well as possibly lab or even a bit of beagle. But as other members have expressed, temperament is key.

At only 4 months of age if you work full time and your b.f. works one month abroad it will be a challenge. However, if he is home on the off month for 30 days that will certainly be a big help. A pet sitter would be a must when he is not home and you are at work all day. It would be best if the puppy was crated while you're at work and the sitter should come in more than once per day plus include walks to burn off excess energy and tire her out. Otherwise, since you're doing your research you may want to consider a young adult dog that can go for longer periods of time without having an accident.

Best of luck, we'll be anxious to hear what you decide. :goodluck: Please keep us posted.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For a puppy and working full time. The puppy must be crated when it can't be watched. I would suggest getting a dog walker to visit a few times while you're at work or looking into dog daycare where your puppy could go burn off energy.

You probably shouldn't get a very big dog unless you'll be able to take that dog on multiple mile walks a few times a day every day. Large dogs in an apartment without enough exercise are disasters.

mkhtk79

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looks part shepherd to me but with mixed breeds its really hard to tell. The only true way to know is with a DNA test.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She reminds me so much my dog who passed away in 2016! I had to dig around for some puppy pictures of him. I would have sworn to you that he was mixed with GSD. The DNA test said his primary breed mixes were Chow Chow, Dalmatian, and Old English Sheep Dog. There were several other breeds mixed in too. He was a pure mutt and totally awesome. :)

Puppy:

Adult:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She reminds me so much my dog who passed away in 2016! I had to dig around for some puppy pictures of him. I would have sworn to you that he was mixed with GSD. The DNA test said his primary breed mixes were Chow Chow, Dalmatian, and Old English Sheep Dog. There were several other breeds mixed in too. He was a pure mutt and totally awesome. :)

Puppy:

Adult:
He was one handsome dog.
His color changed over time a bit.
I had a dog that was gray as a puppy and when he aged he was colored like Lassie, your typical Collie.

PipersMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He was one handsome dog.
His color changed over time a bit.
I had a dog that was gray as a puppy and when he aged he was colored like Lassie, your typical Collie.
It did change a little. He was darker as a puppy, overall. His ears changed too. For a little while I thought they were going stand up, but then one just kind of stood a bit then flopped to the side while the other stayed relatively "normal" floppy. You can kind of see it in the picture, but they went through this whole crazy evolution to get there. :lol:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It did change a little. He was darker as a puppy, overall. His ears changed too. For a little while I thought they were going stand up, but then one just kind of stood a bit then flopped to the side while the other stayed relatively "normal" floppy. You can kind of see it in the picture, but they went through this whole crazy evolution to get there. :lol:
Dogs always have that ear floppy stage but cats never seem to. I just realized this when I read your comment;)

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise

Puppy:

Adult:
I am sorry for your loss. He was such a handsome, handsome boy.