what breed is this cat?

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
hi,
this is my cousin's cat Shadow and i've always been curious about his breed and color/pattern. is he a persian cat? i see that he has a tabby pattern too

Screenshot_20220110-204949~2.png

Screenshot_20220110-205140~2.png

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With his four white paws and black mask and shadings, he could have some snowshoe in him. all cats carry the tabby gene, so even in sunlight, you will see faint stripes on a seemingly solid-colored cat. when a cat is not papered, the question of what breed he is, is a moot point. He would be considered a DLH, or domestic long hair, a grey and black tabby with white.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
With his four white paws and black mask and shadings, he could have some snowshoe in him. all cats carry the tabby gene, so even in sunlight, you will see faint stripes on a seemingly solid-colored cat. when a cat is not papered, the question of what breed he is, is a moot point. He would be considered a DLH, or domestic long hair, a grey and black tabby with white.
wow thank you! my cousin's friend gave him to her and said he's a “purebred persian”

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you look at pictures of Persians they have a very squashed-in face and much longer fur. Do not believe ANYONE who claims a purebred anything without papers. Or can prove parents with papers. These so-called 'designer' cats and dogs that bring in lots of money are nothing more than crossbreeds. There are really very few 'purebred' cats in the world, and they all must have registration papers to prove that they are.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
If you look at pictures of Persians they have a very squashed-in face and much longer fur. Do not believe ANYONE who claims a purebred anything without papers. Or can prove parents with papers. These so-called 'designer' cats and dogs that bring in lots of money are nothing more than crossbreeds. There are really very few 'purebred' cats in the world, and they all must have registration papers to prove that they are.
thank you, i'll let her know about this. my cousin believed her friend and she tells everyone that Shadow is a persian cat. and few weeks ago, someone asked her to buy their purebred persian cat, and my cousin believed that person too. but i told her to not do that, if she wants another cat she should just adopt one.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Are the eyes blue for real, or it just seems so? If they are blue, he is probably a point of some sort...
Still, I dont get wise on him. The fur seems as he were smoke of sorts...

What is the chain for? Having cats on chain is less common, even if it happens with dogs...

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Are the eyes blue for real, or it just seems so? If they are blue, he is probably a point of some sort...
Still, I dont get wise on him. The fur seems as he were smoke of sorts...

What is the chain for? Having cats on chain is less common, even if it happens with dogs...
his eyes are not blue, they're yellow i think

IMG_20210822_225452_5~3.jpg

these pictures are from when my cousin invited people at her house for her birthday. Shadow runs everywhere a lot and he's not very friendly so when strangers try to pet him, he gets a little bit angry and scratch them.. there were kids at my cousin's house that day who kept trying to pet him so she put him on a chain until everyone left

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Black smoke and white domestic longhair. May have some semi-recent breed ancestry because the face is a bit flatter than typical, but ears are large, so it’s likely not too recent, probably not a parent. If anything, some BSH/BLH or Persian ancestry, which would also explain the origin of the inhibitor gene.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, tx. Not blue eyes. So the smoke(!) clears up. No point.
He is as said above; black smoke with white and domestic longhair... May have a granddad as Ancestor.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please tell your cousin that cats should NOT be chained up when there are strangers in the house, it would make them feel trapped and VERY scared. Instead, shut them in a small room with places to hide and get away from all the noise. Strangers should not ever approach a strange cat and try to pet it. This would terrify a cat beyond reason and definitely make it lash out. Children especially are too noisy and make sudden movements. Please give this poor little one a place to hide. A new cat takes a long time to get used to a new house. They should have some peace and quiet for a time before introducing them to people. And NEVER forced.
Do not pay large amounts for so-called purebred cats. It is a scam. Some people call every long-haired cat a Persian. A small amount is OK, they need something for what they have in the cat. But NO cat can be verified as a purebred without being registered and having papers to prove it.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks to me like he has some British shorthair or Persian from his face but his fur does not look long enough to be Persian but obviously he is a mixture of some sort. But would be called dIh. think he looks like a black smoke as well maybe with I guess tabby ghosting.

I also agree to not put him on a chain like that, just put him in a room when people come over. You might want to try some medication for the aggression that he shows to strangers or some type of behavioral training. Gabapentin which is usually used for pain is also very good for stressed out or aggressive cats.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He looks to me like he has some British shorthair or Persian from his face but his fur does not look long enough to be Persian but obviously he is a mixture of some sort. But would be called dIh. think he looks like a black smoke as well maybe with I guess tabby ghosting.

I also agree to not put him on a chain like that, just put him in a room when people come over. You might want to try some medication for the aggression that he shows to strangers or some type of behavioral training. Gabapentin which is usually used for pain is also very good for stressed out or aggressive cats.
Nice tip. Do you have a good source? Gabapentin is used not only against some pains, but mainly, in epilepsy fits. And yeah, such medicines have often a calming / relaxing effect.
Still, a good source is needed.... :)

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice tip. Do you have a good source? Gabapentin is used not only against some pains, but mainly, in epilepsy fits. And yeah, such medicines have often a calming / relaxing effect.
Still, a good source is needed.... :)
Here are some links, it is often used for before dvm visits, it isnt that new as far as I know as dvm recommended it. And I am a source as well- ( sometimes the best source is our own experience, lol) when it was given to Jezebel for pain it also calmed her down a lot, she was extremely stressed coming inside from outside.

For Zena it was given for his stress/ aggression and he’s made an amazing turnaround while he’s been on it so far. For each cat you just have to try different medications because they will respond differently.
I have taken gabapentin myself for nerve pain but it didn’t help me at all and it made me feel horrible.
Same thing with cats- you can try different medications and see if it helps them. For instance Quinn was given different anti anxiety / behavioral meds, the worst one was prozac which made him worse, to try and stop him dominating Sybil and jumping on her constantly but none of them worked- the only thing that helped with him is the thunder coat. Maybe gabapentin would’ve helped him but nobody suggested that then, it was about 4-5 years ago. I think it’s still considered off label for behavioral use for cats but it definitely works although it may not work for every cat obviously.

Anti-anxiety medication for cats (and their owners): Gabapentin:

It Must Be Magic: How Gabapentin Can Change Your Cat’s Vet Visit - Just Cats Clinic

Gabapentin for Cat: Uses, Dosage, Side Effects

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
Please tell your cousin that cats should NOT be chained up when there are strangers in the house, it would make them feel trapped and VERY scared. Instead, shut them in a small room with places to hide and get away from all the noise. Strangers should not ever approach a strange cat and try to pet it. This would terrify a cat beyond reason and definitely make it lash out. Children especially are too noisy and make sudden movements. Please give this poor little one a place to hide. A new cat takes a long time to get used to a new house. They should have some peace and quiet for a time before introducing them to people. And NEVER forced.
Do not pay large amounts for so-called purebred cats. It is a scam. Some people call every long-haired cat a Persian. A small amount is OK, they need something for what they have in the cat. But NO cat can be verified as a purebred without being registered and having papers to prove it.
my cousin lived in a one room apartment at that time but now she moved to a bigger one and keeps Shadow in the other room when people come over. I also told her a lot of times to not chain him up but she doesn't listen to me at all. She just pretends like she knows better because she's older than me and Shadow is her cat.. so I asked my mum to tell her to not use chain then she finally listened and doesn't use chain anymore. I noticed that Shadow always had a sad look on his face. Last time I saw him was in august last year. Another reason for keeping him on chain was that he sprays everywhere - he is not neutered. I have been telling my cousin to get him neutered from 2 years already. Every time I talk to her, i tell her to get him neutered but she's totally against it. Honestly, i wish he had a better owner.

I got my own cat neutered when he was 1 year old but he never went out and never sprayed anywhere, and had no behavior problems. So my cousin told me to just let him live like that, like she's letting her cat live “normally”.

and I agree, a lot of times when people sell cats, it's a scam. Other than that, I feel like sometimes people should adopt instead of buying, and not care about the breed. Every cat deserves a loving home.

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise

Yeah, i noticed now that his fur is not too long, also he doesn't look like it in pictures but he's really short. he's 5 years old I think

my cousin puts him in other room now and doesn't use chain anymore, so that's a good thing i guess..

CatsFurever

elsa♡ rio♡ puma♡ kai♡
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, tx. Not blue eyes. So the smoke(!) clears up. No point.
He is as said above; black smoke with white and domestic longhair... May have a granddad as Ancestor.
ohh alright, i'll tell this to my cousin!

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, i noticed now that his fur is not too long, also he doesn't look like it in pictures but he's really short. he's 5 years old I think

my cousin puts him in other room now and doesn't use chain anymore, so that's a good thing i guess..
There are shorthaired Persians too, I think they are usually called exotics.