What breed is my older kitten?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Domestic shorthair is the breed. 95% of the world's cat population are domestic cats with no specific "purebred" heritage. Humans breeding cats for apperance or behavior is just too new for there to be many purebred cats. I guess you could say purebred domestic cat if you want to.

Seal point with white is the color. Tuxedo is a color not a breed and your cat would fit that if it wasn't for for colorpoint gene. The colorpoint gene is what makes Siamese their blue eyed with dark points and your cat has it too. It made your cat white at birth and all the spots that should have been black are turning brown and eventually will be black at the points (ears, arms, legs, tail, etc). Its really interesting because your cats fur is color sensitive with colder parts being darker and darkening over its lifetime. Which means your cat is genetically black and white but the colorpoint made all the black a heat sensitive pigment instead of solid black. Some cats will completely darken all over with age, others won't. I am guessing yours is about a year old and will probably darken more. White will stay white because there is no pigment to be effected by the colorpoint gene. But everything that would have been black without the gene will darken.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here is my boy at 7 years old with the same coloring, granted a little less white then I think I see on yours. He did look as light as yours at one point and not all seal point will get this dark.

20210213_133629.jpg

And my 6 year old girl with same coloring but more white and lighter.
20210411_064002.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dolphin81

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Domestic shorthair is the breed. 95% of the world's cat population are domestic cats with no specific "purebred" heritage. Humans breeding cats for apperance or behavior is just too new for there to be many purebred cats. I guess you could say purebred domestic cat if you want to.

Seal point with white is the color. Tuxedo is a color not a breed and your cat would fit that if it wasn't for for colorpoint gene. The colorpoint gene is what makes Siamese their blue eyed with dark points and your cat has it too. It made your cat white at birth and all the spots that should have been black are turning brown and eventually will be black at the points (ears, arms, legs, tail, etc). Its really interesting because your cats fur is color sensitive with colder parts being darker and darkening over its lifetime. Which means your cat is genetically black and white but the colorpoint made all the black a heat sensitive pigment instead of solid black. Some cats will completely darken all over with age, others won't. I am guessing yours is about a year old and will probably darken more. White will stay white because there is no pigment to be effected by the colorpoint gene. But everything that would have been black without the gene will darken.

To give you an idea of what I mean, here is my boy at 7 years old with the same coloring, granted a little less white then I think I see on yours. He did look as light as yours at one point and not all seal point will get this dark.

View attachment 380617

And my 6 year old girl with same coloring but more white and lighter.
View attachment 380618
Thank you ... this is very informative and helpful.