miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question and hopefully someone will post who actually knows about these things, but I just wanted to tell you that I think your kitten is adorable.  Look at those big paws!  I think he's going to be a big boy once he grows into them!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah i was thinking tabby as well

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah i was thinking tabby as well
I mean,  I dont see any tabby here.

Or you mean perhaps a domestic cat?   Because that lovely tuxedo is surely a domestic - unless you live somewhere in Greece, where they do have a natural breed of the Egeyan cat (the name of the sea outside Greece). - these are often black and white in different shapes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miiszpsycho

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No i live in new jersey lol. So he's a tabby or is he a mixed breed.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No i live in new jersey lol. So he's a tabby or is he a mixed breed.
He is a domestic - you would perhaps say mixed breed.

I dont know why you repeadly  say tabby - do YOU see any stripes on him?   Or if he at least have the revealing  M on his forehead?

My monitor is so so,  so perhaps Im not seeing  stripes on his bi - color pattern?

Tabby is  when they do have a)   stripes, alike a tiger -  called often for mackerel - the most common of them  tabby markings. Its also the most dominant of all pattern genes.

b)  rounded rounds - the "bulls eye" on the side is typical - called for classic tabby, or marbled, or blotched - quite common in England, not very common in the rest of the world

c)  spotted tabby.    With small spots on the body...   Its quite common striped and classical tabbies has some spots on the tummy, but it doesnt count to get them as spotted tabby.

This pattern is quite rare but not unique.

d)  There is also the wild coloration, with no stripes on the body, but some stripes on face and legs.   Quite rare, its almost just some abyssinians carry them.  And the puma..

All tabbies  have the M on the forehead.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He has phantom or ghost stripes probably. This is common in tabby mixed cats. My cat is all black but she has stripes of brown in it that you can only see in the sun. But as for breed yes just a plain mixed breed cat. 

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is shots of his coat. Sometimes i see stripes other times i think I'm crazy lol

Ah, so these are just phantom stripes "ghost stripes", as the NewYorker said.   They dont count for a tabby.  Tabby and especial striped tabby, is dominant, so if the gene IS there, you will see it loud and clear.  Have no doubt.

Look, even russian blues has some ghost stripes sometimes.   And they are purebred, no traces of  tabby in there!  Not one true tabby in 70 generations, unless a female in heat managed to sneak out and the postmans tom was nearby.