What breed is my kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GemmaLouise 89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
..he loves water, follows us everywhere and likes to meow.. always has to be up high too and his energy level is beyond.. Iv also added a few pictures of when we first had him too..
6AC8AC1A-598E-43E6-BBD4-0EB8DD672AD2.jpeg
AA56B06B-010E-44D7-AB37-51F5CDE46E89.jpeg
10E13454-D5BE-4174-AAC7-082EF83288DD.jpeg
6E79BA43-D4BD-4A92-A7E5-984F065CEA73.jpeg
7F4D4959-67BD-489B-9AA2-E98E5409C749.jpeg
CBE03CC7-CD6A-4D81-98D6-DB4E177EB5D2.jpeg
6AC8AC1A-598E-43E6-BBD4-0EB8DD672AD2.jpeg
AA56B06B-010E-44D7-AB37-51F5CDE46E89.jpeg

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kitty looks and is acting like any normal kitten should. I would suggest keeping the toilet seat top down so he doesn't acquire any bad human germs.

Not knowing what his parents looked like, I would be only guessing. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Hi G GemmaLouise 89 and welcome to TCS!
What an absolutely gorgeous little guy. Love the photo of him holding your hand. :redheartpump:
Unless you get a cat from a recognised breeder, they're a domestic, in this case a DSH (domestic short hair). Sometimes they look like they have certain breeds in them, but usually they don't. They're just as loveable though. :)

Gaiwil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted a kitten at 8 weeks and. Ow he is 4 months old… does anyone know what breed he is? He’s very long, has super silky hair and now his tail is starting to get bushy
He looks like a Heinz 57. I'll take him

GemmaLouise 89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies, I’m really thinking he’s not a dsh as they have rounded faces.. where as mine has a more pointed face, his ears are close together on top of his head, his fur is silky soft like a teddy bear, he doesn’t molt and loves water.. so much that he always has to be in the sink playing with it even when I’m trying to do the dishes. Iv weighed him at 5 months and he’s now 2.35kg… he’s really long/tall for his age too…his eyes are not round either.. they look slanted which again is not standard for a dsh..

all this is showing me he’s not a standard dsh as-our previous cat was a proper dsh“Tom cat”
9A1E6713-A771-4493-AACE-815F36D09723.jpeg
0B3B1E2F-0CA1-4AE6-9BC1-127DA909F975.jpeg

CuriousKittens

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all your replies, I’m really thinking he’s not a dsh as they have rounded faces.. where as mine has a more pointed face, his ears are close together on top of his head, his fur is silky soft like a teddy bear, he doesn’t molt and loves water.. so much that he always has to be in the sink playing with it even when I’m trying to do the dishes. Iv weighed him at 5 months and he’s now 2.35kg… he’s really long/tall for his age too…his eyes are not round either.. they look slanted which again is not standard for a dsh..

all this is showing me he’s not a standard dsh as-our previous cat was a proper dsh“Tom cat”View attachment 419941View attachment 419942
There is no real "standard" DSH, but your guy really looks like a typical DSH. They don't have super round faces (are you thinking of British or Exotic shorthairs?), though they csn. Your guy doesn't have a particularly angular face either, it's the typical average. I don't see the wedge shape of Orientals or square shape of Maine Coons or anything angular like that. None of the traits you've mentioned are unusual for a DSH, and DSH can pretty much have any trait.

That doesn't mean he isn't a special and handsome guy though!

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Domestic short hair basically means cat who is not a purebred or a mix and is most likely just a generational farm/street kitty. Most cats have no breeds in them actually. Cats arent like dogs in which they were bred for many centuries. Most breeds are still relatively young, so much so that even purebreds if you test them genetically won't come up as purebred. They will show what breeds were used to create that breed and as well polycat aka DSH/DLH.

GemmaLouise 89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Again thanks for your reply… we know he’s a cross and the way he is… (very very active and hyper!!) we are having a dna test done. When Iv done checks online it’s always come back with Turkish van or Turkish angora or even a bengal mix! He’s due an appointment with the vets soon so will have a dna done then to see what he actually is as he’s deffo not a dsh… he’s 5 months old and is already the size our previous adult cat was at 5 years old!! Hence why I said he’s not a dsh that we had for over 11 years!

Nebaug

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Again thanks for your reply… we know he’s a cross and the way he is… (very very active and hyper!!) we are having a dna test done. When Iv done checks online it’s always come back with Turkish van or Turkish angora or even a bengal mix! He’s due an appointment with the vets soon so will have a dna done then to see what he actually is as he’s deffo not a dsh… he’s 5 months old and is already the size our previous adult cat was at 5 years old!! Hence why I said he’s not a dsh that we had for over 11 years!
I hope you realize that DNA breed testing is just for fun. The cats are not like dogs that you can get pretty accurate breed mix. Unless you live in specific areas where specific naturally occurring breed roams free………… For example,if you live in Turkey you have decent chance finding stray turkish van -ish. But for that stray to be mixed with … main coon its a no. First I doubt that are mani unfixed coons around and second usually people who have purebreds do not let them roam streets. I know it’s very exciting trying to figure out what our new kitty is but reality is , it’s just a cat , short hair or long hair , sometimes good lookalike of certain breed, but still a domestic cat. By the way, very cute kitty.

goingpostal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats vary in size, color and appearance greatly, nothing you've described is a trait of any breed or anything that is abnormal for a domestic shorthair. He's young, of course he's extremely active and agile. Don't waste your money on DNA tests, there are no breed tests for cats like that and the fine print even admits it, it's more a scam than anything.

GemmaLouise 89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all your comments! I don’t think he’s a Tom cat! Just look at him! He’s really big for a 5 month old!! And Iv never seen a Tom with a tail like this. How do I delete this account?! Clearly America is different to the uk! Btw the uk has all different kinds of breeds of cats roaming the streets!

Attachments