What breed is my kitten?

Bessiemax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi!

I recently got my gorgeous little kitten Max. She’s 9 weeks old and I’d love to work out what breed she is as she’s so unique looking.

I didn’t get her from a registered breeder, just a family whose cat got pregnant from an unknown father.

The woman I got her from advertised her as half Maine Coon - saying that her cat, the mother, is full Maine Coon. I’ll attach a photo of her mum as she doesn’t look full Maine Coon to me (not that I particularly mind).

As well as wanting to know if she’s part Maine Coon, I’m also curious what the rest of her may be. I thought she was probably a tabby patterned moggie, but she’s quite spotty and striped - she looks the same as the cats that come up when you google “bengal cross cats”. It seems too lucky that the mother would have found a bengal cat on the street to mate with though!

Anyway, I’d love any insight! Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bessiemax

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Max is very cute!

I would describe Max as a brown mackerel tabby and white domestic shorthair. It's normal for mackerel tabbies to have some stripes and some spots. You can also call this pattern "broken mackerel." A lot of people think that cats with this pattern are "bengal cross," but most are simply mackerel pattern domestic shorthairs without Bengal ancestry.

From the mother's photo, I would describe her as a brown classic tabby and white domestic longhair. It's possible she could have Maine Coon ancestry but if the owner doesn't have any documentation, it's more likely that someone guessed she was a Maine Coon based on her appearance. Most cats are not any particular breed, and are not mixed with any breed, unlike dogs.

I noticed that the same picture of the mother cat appeared in another post earlier on TCS. Is Max the sibling of the kitten in the earlier post? Or maybe you made a new account on this site and posted again?