What Breed Is My Kitten?

Sad face kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I got this kitten from my bf who got her from a breeder that claimed she is British short hair. But she look nothing like a bsh to me! She got the resemblem of ragamuffin but the face is flat like Persian??

Attachments

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah,there might be some Persian un her. She is quite quite beautiful, I must say, I would like to see more pictures of her coat, because I guess she is kinda unusual.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sad face kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah,there might be some Persian un her. She is quite quite beautiful, I must say, I would like to see more pictures of her coat, because I guess she is kinda unusual.
Thank you Alejandra. :)
Here's a few more pix of her.

Attachments

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She's so cute! I don't see any British Shorthair in her- they have a wider face and short hair. Your kitty does have a flatter face, so I'd say some Persian influence is possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She IS beautiful. Probably quite young kitten, as the eyes are still blue (blue eyes in adults is rare).
Classic tabby at that.

The problem is, she looks longhair to me. So can hardly be british shorthair... Unless its one of them rare pop ups, and the breeder sold her cheaply to a good home, to cover up the traces... Not even Scotland Yard will be able to trace her back!!!

The british has sometimes shortish faces, almost as if they had a persian among ancestors, so this isnt nothing peculiar.

As it is, I would sooner guess, if the question were free, to a Siberian look alike. Maybe even a good quality siberian, but for this I must see her as adult.
Its difficult to give sure opinions on young kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sad face kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awwwww.. Thanks for the reply.

I'm desperate to know her breed as I already got a male bsh and my bf got her to keep lil bsh company. I'm not sure if I should sterile them or just let them be.

Understood that she's too young to tell her breed. Guess I'll just wait till she got older. :)

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Awwwww.. Thanks for the reply.

I'm desperate to know her breed as I already got a male bsh and my bf got her to keep lil bsh company. I'm not sure if I should sterile them or just let them be.

Understood that she's too young to tell her breed. Guess I'll just wait till she got older. :)
I'd highly reccommend neutering the boy and spaying the girl. Aside from issues with pet overpopulation, there are health benefits for fixing cats. Unspayed females can develop pyometra (a life-threatening infection of the uterus) and mammary gland tumors. Males who haven't been castrated can develop testicular tumors.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You keep the tom and the little one together? They will prob be good friends, but also, the probability is high he will mount her. An unusually little lady whom doesnt even try to defend herself? Whoa!

As this cant be no serious breeding out of it, and spaying and neutering is highly recommendable on all accounts, better to do it sooner than later. Better to be safe than sorry.

Alejandra Rico

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you Alejandra. :)
Here's a few more pix of her.
Such a cutie!!!!
I am totally in love with her!
If she does have a Persian influence, watch out for any kidney problems, cristals in her urinary tract and so on. They do have a tendency to that (which Raist, my own Persian X has inherited, even though his mother has never had a problem).
I agree with abyeb abyeb and StefanZ StefanZ about spaying/neutering your cats. With so many stray cats out there, I see no need to bring more non breeded kittens to the world. If your male BSH is actually really a stunning high quality specimen and you would really like to have at least one of his possible sons or daughters, then you can devote some time to look for an appropiated girlfriend for him, whose characteristics match your own cat's needs. It is a tough process, as you want to be sure that the pedigree of the female cat is authentic, that she is healthy and the personality is nice (if you decide to arrange reproduction with someone else's Cat in exchange of a kitten), or super expensive and tiring (if you decide to look for a good breeder and tell him or her what you are looking for, then wait for them to have a kitten with the characteristics you specified). Either way, that would only be the begining of an exhaustive process, as breeding cats is a lottery full of health risks both for mommy and her babies.

haleyds

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Also I can't tell you the problems a female cat in heat can cause. I've been dealing with it myself as I'm having to wait to have my female spayed, and I've read countless forums about people suffering at the hand of a hormonal lady. They scream, they cry, they howl, they act like they have no sense, they pee everywhere but the litter box, and there's nothing short of a spay that truly fixes it.
Beautiful little lady though, she's absolutely stunning. I would agree with stefanz and say that she is probably a pet quality BSH but in the form of the rare BLH.